Sponsored

Where is the MAF or MAP sensor on the EcoBoost?

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Hi,
I wanted to clean the MAF sensor, but I can't locate it under the hood. There is a connector near the intake box, but it is very small with no screws on it. I am use to seeing it larger with screws on it. Anyone have a picture?

Reason I want to clean it is because on idle I am getting a chocking behavior. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
No MAF, only IAT and its the sensor you were looking at.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
[MENTION=30138]GuardEcoBeast[/MENTION] is correct, being in Florida, I'm sure you have a US based ecoboost which doesn't have a MAF, some in other countries do. Ours uses the MAP to measure air for fuel mixture. If it were there though, it would've been right there with the IAT as a combined function. That thin wire senses the temperature of the air and determines the volume through velocity combined with the know opening size.

OP
OP
BoosTang23T

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
BoosTang23T

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=30138]GuardEcoBeast[/MENTION] is correct, being in Florida, I'm sure you have a US based ecoboost which doesn't have a MAF, some in other countries do. Ours uses the MAP to measure air for fuel mixture. If it were there though, it would've been right there with the IAT as a combined function. That thin wire senses the temperature of the air and determines the volume through velocity combined with the know opening size.
Yes US based EcoBoost. So can I clean that in the same way as a MAF, using the same cleaner? Or for this case, I may need to take it into the dealer to check it out? I am out of warranty already so looking to do it myself.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
So can that be cleaned the same way an MAF would? Seems to be a twist off.
It is about a 1/4 turn twist to unlock, then pull out the IAT but cleaning that is not going to help the problem you are experiencing. To answer your question though, yes cleaning it would be the same. However cleaning the wire on the MAF or IAT is not recommended by almost any credible source. They are very fragile and you are more likely to cause problems with something that isn't an issue. If you are determined to do so, the best method is to use a pure alcohol on a cotton swab and just roll the swab over the wire, don't rub it back and forth.

*EDIT - If I remember correctly, I think there is a screw holding it in too? Check first.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Yes US based EcoBoost. So can I clean that in the same way as a MAF, using the same cleaner? Or for this case, I may need to take it into the dealer to check it out? I am out of warranty already so looking to do it myself.
A dirty MAF sensor could be a problem for the symptom you described but since our car doesn't use a MAF, I'd move on to other possibilities. If you have a scanner, I'd first check for any codes. There could be codes present that could direct you to the problem and not enough to set the CEL.

I'm not sure if you've ever had your plugs out. If not, I'd highly recommend pulling them and checking their condition and gap. I'm not sure if they corrected the issue in 16 but many of us with 15s were finding our spark plug gaps were widely inconsistent, making the car run a little rough. My son even had the same problem in his Ford Focus. Cleaning and re-gapping the plugs made a world of difference.

There are many things that could cause the problem you described and it is a very vague symptom.

OP
OP
BoosTang23T

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is about a 1/4 turn twist to unlock, then pull out the IAT but cleaning that is not going to help the problem you are experiencing. To answer your question though, yes cleaning it would be the same. However cleaning the wire on the MAF or IAT is not recommended by almost any credible source. They are very fragile and you are more likely to cause problems with something that isn't an issue. If you are determined to do so, the best method is to use a pure alcohol on a cotton swab and just roll the swab over the wire, don't rub it back and forth.

*EDIT - If I remember correctly, I think there is a screw holding it in too? Check first.
Can you provide the reliable sources? I really don;t want to mess anything up. I have seen many using the CRC MAF cleaner which is meant for cleaning that. Just spray on and air dry. I do know those wires are fragile. The reason I think this idle issue could be related to this is because I have a K&N filter and those are oiled based. I have heard this can clog the sensor over time causing a wrong reading. I have 38K miles right now.

I just changed the spark plugs as well, but not sure if that will healp my idle issue. Keep in mind I changed the plugs because I am going to a pro-tune now (TUNE+).

OP
OP
BoosTang23T

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A dirty MAF sensor could be a problem for the symptom you described but since our car doesn't use a MAF, I'd move on to other possibilities. If you have a scanner, I'd first check for any codes. There could be codes present that could direct you to the problem and not enough to set the CEL.

I'm not sure if you've ever had your plugs out. If not, I'd highly recommend pulling them and checking their condition and gap. I'm not sure if they corrected the issue in 16 but many of us with 15s were finding our spark plug gaps were widely inconsistent, making the car run a little rough. My son even had the same problem in his Ford Focus. Cleaning and re-gapping the plugs made a world of difference.

There are many things that could cause the problem you described and it is a very vague symptom.
I just changed my plugs and posted a video on another thread... I will monitor the car with this change to see if it addressed the issue. Thanks for the feedback. In this case, I will not mess with the sensor. I have not changed the plugs since I got the car and I bought this car used with 16K miles. I have 38K now. Could be the issue and hoping it is nothing more.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
[ame]

The sensor next to the airbox is nothing more than a temperature sensor.

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
@GuardEcoBeast is correct, being in Florida, I'm sure you have a US based ecoboost which doesn't have a MAF, some in other countries do. Ours uses the MAP to measure air for fuel mixture. If it were there though, it would've been right there with the IAT as a combined function. That thin wire senses the temperature of the air and determines the volume through velocity combined with the know opening size.
I still have not found a Mustang Ecoboost in the World that has a MAF. Please provide a link for a Mustang Ecoboost that has a MAF? My Google skills are not as good as they used to be.

Thanks....:cheers:

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Some of the You Tube videos on this subject are hilarious. Remember, ANYONE can post a video.... The guy with the Ford Truck that says he says 3 MAP sensors. :headbonk: Theirs is very similar to our Mustang ecoboost. It's actually an IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor he was looking at that he thought was a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor and was calling a MAP sensor. The sensor on the outlet of the intercooler is functionally like a MAP sensor, it's the Turbocharger Boost Pressure Sensor. The actual MAP sensor is on the manifold. So all similar. Plus where the MAP sensor is located, you should absolutely expect oil vapors in the air and will be on the sensor, this doesn't effect its operation or they wouldn't use it.

Cleaning a MAF sensor or better yet replacing it can make a big difference and is mostly a problem when people use an oiled air filter like you have and they over oil it. That oil comes off the filter and coats that thin sensitive wire on the MAF making it so it can't properly determine the volume of air passing though. It actually senses less air because of the oil so it tells the computer to provide less fuel making your engine run lean. If that was the case, you could see this on your cluster the A/F would be too lean based on the fuel you're running. But I digress as like I said, we don't even have a MAF sensor.

MAPs aren't the same, they aren't measuring a stream of air and trying to determine the volume based on temperature and velocity using the known opening, they are just measuring the pressure against a diaphragm. People that clean the MAP are thinking it's like a MAF and just trying to do the same thing they did with the MAF because they don't know the difference. They think they are both measuring airflow so must be the same. Look for a can of MAP sensor cleaner. ;) Notice they are using MAF sensor cleaner in the videos.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I still have not found a Mustang Ecoboost in the World that has a MAF. Please provide a link for a Mustang Ecoboost that has a MAF? My Google skills are not as good as they used to be.

Is that relevant? I can't tell you where they are or much less do I care. I'm in the US and have a US based ecoboost that doesn't use one. I heard early on that some other country versions did have MAF sensors and someone on the forum from another country confirmed it but that was years ago. Personally, I don't care and not spending the time to go looking.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

There are no mustang EB's with a MAF sensor. They are MAP worldwide.
[MENTION=27749]MakStang[/MENTION] in Greece worked with Adam from Tune+ to verify this.
Sponsored