Do you notice this in car commercials?

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Toyota (Camry) for the last few years has been doing commercials that make it seem like a performance/muscle car. They started with racing through a downtown on top of buildings. They even did it with a Prius during a Superbowl one year. Recently, in it's commercials, it has a very aggressive exhaust note. One, that actually sounds good. But, doubt it is real.

I would have to say it hurts the muscle car market sales. Those who might dip their toe in the sweet sweet waters of the Ford Mustang might believe they can have it all in a Camry without the stigma of a muscle looking car.

Even Nissan wants you to believe your car is in a Star Wars movie. Dodge/Jeep tried to put a batman symbol on a compass.

I would say at the end of day, we have the real thing that lives up to our real expectations (even with mods).

Any thoughts?

PS. Yes, I was in marketing at one time and have a minor in philosophy!

:cheers:
Yes, I noticed it and it's laughable.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
But Saab was originally an aircraft company which branched out into automobiles (and later built jet fighters)....
Yea but your Chevy Cavalier rebodied Saab has nothing to do with jet fighters.

Adkrs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
To be fair....those Camry v6's sound really good with an exhaust on them. They're used in the Lotus Evora. Check them out. I was pretty surprised

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
No joke, I'm willing to bet they probably used some of the Lexus IS-F or some derivative of the Toyota UR 5.0L in cabin exhaust note tones.
More likely an RC-F or LC500; There is no IS F, just an IS 350 F-Sport, which while having a slightly more aggressive sound is still fairly quiet; My mom just traded hers in on an RC.

RC Variants have a noticeably louder tone in the equivalent trim of an IS; eg/ IS 350 vs RC 350, but still not loud until you get to the RC-F.

Either way, I think you're right in that they picked a "faster" version in the Lexus family and slapped that sound on it.

OP
OP

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
To be fair....those Camry v6's sound really good with an exhaust on them. They're used in the Lotus Evora. Check them out. I was pretty surprised
I did notice upon further research it does sound good, but with a lot of issues. It has a flex pipe. I was referring to how they are trying to use the appearance of sound and speed to get fans when it’s really not a sports car.

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
When I come across a Camry on the highway it's usually being driven by a grey or blue head and doing 10 under the limit. Makes my wife curse a blue streak every time!

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
Do a SWOT analysis of Mustang branding vs any FWD, v6, sub 310 HP family sedan. Toyota will sale their products because it has brand equity in the fact that they make reliable cars.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
When I come across a Camry on the highway it's usually being driven by a grey or blue head and doing 10 under the limit. Makes my wife curse a blue streak every time!
I have a female friend that doesn't like Corvettes because everyone driving one according to her is a..... "grey baller"?

Oh, and the CEO of Toyota has been trying to improve image of Toyota (less boring, more sport)

http://www.thedrive.com/news/10193/toyota-ceo-wants-you-to-stop-calling-his-cars-boring-dammit

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
More likely an RC-F or LC500; There is no IS F, just an IS 350 F-Sport, which while having a slightly more aggressive sound is still fairly quiet; My mom just traded hers in on an RC.

RC Variants have a noticeably louder tone in the equivalent trim of an IS; eg/ IS 350 vs RC 350, but still not loud until you get to the RC-F.

Either way, I think you're right in that they picked a "faster" version in the Lexus family and slapped that sound on it.
Trying to understand Lexus naming schemes is almost as bad as trying to understand BMW's. It's hopeless. :doh:

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Totally different exhaust configuration though. I've heard an Evora and it's not bad but totally different chassis with different harmonic characteristics. That's why Corvettes and Camaros sound different with the same engine.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Trying to understand Lexus naming schemes is almost as bad as trying to understand BMW's. It's hopeless. :doh:
No Argument there. My wife and mom both drive Lexus (actually both now have RC's bought within the last two months), so that's the only reason I know.

The most confusing part is "F" is used both as a trim on some models (usually their bigger V8) and in "F Sport" a "performance package" that can be added to almost any model. However, you can't get an RC "F" F-Sport, because I guess F at the point implies both? I dunno. It's weird.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I laugh at every commercial I hear that says something like "features an exhilarating 250 horsepower V6"....

Yeah... not very impressive lol.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Advertising be damned. I try hard daily to do my part to personally highlight the auditory difference between a good american V8 and your Camry, Prius, or Tesla *gasp* at every stoplight and intersection.

The only issue is I routinely get trolled by pickups that sound exactly like my car

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Also good salesmanship mean little more than making people feel comfortable spending 20-100k of their hard earned money when they've already decided they want to.

The commercials are only trying to convince people they'll be ok with themselves after they buy the Camry. Sure it will sound good, yeah thats the ticket. Affer yhey buy it turns out it didnt matter after all what the Camry sounded like (confirmation bias takes over) but it helps to get them over the hump to get them into the dealership.

The truth never gets in the way of good advertising.
Sponsored