Sponsored

UPR Catch Can

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Finally going to settle on a UPR dual catch can for my Eco. It has 25k miles on it and has never been had one before so I just hope it is not too late to add it.

I am about to purchase one but first, I would like to know if any of the add-ons are worth the extra money? I tried finding info online but can't (and don't understand) if it benefits or even if it is worth it for the 2.3 Eco.

I thought about adding the check valve. Is it worth it? or should I just get the catch can without any add-ons?

Also, is the catch can a must? I would rather spend $200+ in something that will truly help the engine.

Thanks!
2017-11-26 12_44_53-15-16-17 Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost Dual Valve Oil Catch Can Separator.png
Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
On Friday last week, I clicked a link that I was certain referred to an EB-specific UPR CC. And I was presented with that same confusing list of add-ons too. I found it frustrating to be faced with so many options -- the effectiveness of which were in doubt -- that I decided I'd better have a CHAT with them online.

I expressed my frustration; lamenting: "How are we mere mortals supposed to know what all of those things are, and whether we want/need them?"

The fellow was very patient, and asked me what "all those extra things" were? because the only thing that was optional on the EB CC was the Check Valve.

:shrug:

Before I had a chance to list the myriad options, he sent me a link to the CC that I should have landed on....and I realized that I had been looking at a GT-specific CC. :headbonk: Doh!

I popped over there again just now to capture the URL from their website:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-plug-n-play-catch-can-separator-ecoboost-15-sc.html

And/but I am the first guy to admit that these bloody CC's seem to be described differently -- and their value/efficacy either highly or minimally -valued -- all over the 'net. But...

Are you sure you're looking at the right item (page)?

Last edited:

OlTexastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VB GT PP1
I ordered one yesterday you can add the crankcase breather later if you feel you need one they make one that replaces the oil filler cap. My understanding is that it comes with a check valve that is good for stock tuned cars but if you have tuned the car or it runs 22 pounds or more of boost you need to upgrade to the 100 check valve.

OP
OP

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
On Friday last week, I clicked a link that I was certain referred to an EB-specific UPR CC. And I was presented with that same confusing list of add-ons too. I found it frustrating to be faced with so many options -- the effectiveness of which were in doubt -- that I decided I'd better have a CHAT with them online.

I expressed my frustration; lamenting: "How were we mere mortals supposed to know what all those things were, and whether we wanted/needed them?"

The fellow was very patient, and asked me what "all those extra things" were? because the only thing that was optional on the EB CC was the Check Valve.

:shrug:

Before I had a chance to list the myriad options, he sent me a link to the CC that I should have landed on....and I realized that I had been looking at a GT-specific CC. :headbonk: Doh!

I popped over there again just now to capture the URL from their website:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-plug-n-play-catch-can-separator-ecoboost-15-sc.html

And/but I am the first guy to admit that these bloody CC's seem to be described differently -- and their value/efficacy either highly or minimally -valued -- all over the 'net. But...

Are you sure you're looking at the right item (page)?
Thanks for your reply and I am now confused because the link you sent me indicates that it is the single catch can and the one I am looking at is dual. They both work for the 2.3 so which one is better?

Here is the one I am looking at: http://m.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-single-valve-catch-can-separator-15-ecoboost.html

I also found two more (the one you posted and a different one).

Yours: http://m.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-plug-n-play-catch-can-separator-ecoboost-15-sc.html

??: http://m.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-plug-n-play-clean-side-catch-can-ecoboost-15.html

Any help here?

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
The one you’ve linked says it’s a dual-valve. The one I linked is indeed a single.

Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Because you'll receive the added benefit of vacuum evacuation under boost from the extra intake line.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Thank you! :thumbsup: <returns to drawing board>

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
No one has yet adequately explained the need for a catch can on the EB Mustang. I can't find any data suggesting the EB Mustang has a problem with carbon build up on the intake valves, and if you follow the recommended oil change interval the contaminants you'll find in your catch can are held in suspension in the oil--where then can do no harm.

With a catch can you'll have to drain the contaminants and dispose of them. Without a catch can you discard those contaminants with the used oil.

I don't see the benefit. Maybe I haven't heard all the arguments yet.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
Too many sources to quote - there is a need and it is WELL documented.
Don't think so?
Pull the PCV line at the intake ("dirty" side of the PCV system) and the valve cover ("clean side") and rub the insides with a cotton swab. You'll find all the evidence you need. Or not.
Maybe you hit the lottery and the stars were in perfect alignment when your EBM was built. Who knows...

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Don't think so?
Pull the PCV line at the intake ("dirty" side of the PCV system) and the valve cover ("clean side") and rub the insides with a cotton swab. You'll find all the evidence you need. Or not.
Maybe you hit the lottery and the stars were in perfect alignment when your EBM was built. Who knows...
There's no documented evidence actually. There is evidence that direct injected motors suffer from carbon deposits. Some are worse than others. But no evidence a catch can will make a difference in making these deposits less. Prove me wrong? Go ahead.

No one has yet adequately explained the need for a catch can on the EB Mustang. I can't find any data suggesting the EB Mustang has a problem with carbon build up on the intake valves, and if you follow the recommended oil change interval the contaminants you'll find in your catch can are held in suspension in the oil--where then can do no harm.

With a catch can you'll have to drain the contaminants and dispose of them. Without a catch can you discard those contaminants with the used oil.

I don't see the benefit. Maybe I haven't heard all the arguments yet.
Oh man, you just opened up a can of worms for people trying to defend their catch can purchase. ;)

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Don't think so?
What does this prove, that the inside of an internal combustion engine is dirty? You need to show that contaminants like that cause damage to critical engine components, not just make the inside of the valve cover dirty. One job of your engine oil is to remove contaminants like that from critical engine components and hold them in suspension until the next oil change. Contaminants held in suspension in the oil are harmless as long as you follow recommended oil change intervals--they go out with the old oil.

If you are referring to carbon build up on the intake side of the intake valve, Ford dealt with this already using two strategies: 1) The formulation of Ford's recommended oil specification reduces and/or eliminates additives that generate carbon, and 2) your engine injects a small amount of fuel at valve overlap (both intake and exhaust valves are open) during the exhaust stroke. Some of that fuel goes back into the intake tract, where its detergents clean the intake side of the valve.

As I mentioned, I couldn't find any evidence that the 2.3L EB engine suffers from carbon deposits on the valves. What I found is that someone on a forum like this one will ask about carbon buildup, then someone else chimes in with an explanation of how it's become a problem with direct injection engines (DI engines in general, not the 2.3L EB specifically), then someone else will say the only solution is a catch can. If you can find anyone with a stock 2.3L EB engine (no changes to the tune which will affect valve and fuel injection timing) who's had a problem with carbon buildup please share a link.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
LOLz, I don't NEED to do anything.
If you don't want a catch can, don't buy a catch can.

If you have more than 40K miles on your EBM - take off the intake manifold and look at the valves. Have you done this? I have.

If you have more than 4K miles on your EBM - take off the clean or dirty side hoses and run a Q-tip through them. Have you done this? I have.

YOU can come up with any number of theories on this and apply them to YOUR vehicle any way YOU see fit. It is not ANYONES responsibility to prove to you, or provide evidence to you as YOUR education is YOUR business.
Unless I've missed something, you are not the Mod-Police and I haven't seen a subpoena, until then, enjoy.
Sponsored