Sponsored

Post Pictures of Your Car

Harrison

Threads
Reaction score
Really is a shame killing the Boss off after 2 years just because they did that 4 decades ago. :crazy: Unless it wasn't actually selling well or something....
Sponsored

Ricky35

My current pair of rides... delightful rivals. The SS is a fun DD while the Boss is intermittent weekend pleasure. :D

Hey Bossing can you give us your feedback on how the two cars compare?

Rarely ever come across an owner of both current model Mustang and Camaro.

Really curious to hear an objective review by an owner of both cars at same time.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Hey Bossing can you give us your feedback on how the two cars compare?
Rarely ever come across an owner of both current model Mustang and Camaro.
Really curious to hear an objective review by an owner of both cars at same time.
We all know comparing a SS to a Boss isn't apples to apples per se... if anything it should be a SS to a 5.0 GT but FWIW here's my $0.50 worth of owner experience for my two models.

- Power goes to my Boss vs. my SS since my Camaro has the L99 engine (automatic)... 444hp 380lb-ft vs. 400hp 410lb-ft. The Boss is very responsive; easy to launch, loves to rev, and simply a beast. Add the added robustness of the Boss' forged internals and Torsen rear, it's a no brainer. I'ved yet to purchase/activate the Red Key and so far I removed the baffle plates and it's sweet music to my ears... I hardly use the radio. The Camaro is no slouch even in stock form but it's as quiet as a Lexus... that's a fail from Chevy imo. The Roadrunner engine though is aural symphony from startup to WOT! Awesome mechanicals and more awesome exhaust sounds even in stock form. :D

- Handling & Braking goes to the Boss since the SS is indeed quite heavy and it feels as such in real world but FWIW the Boss is easy to lose control (oversteer; tail slides) while the SS is more stable due to heavier weight and the understeer. The '12 SS models have the upgraded FE4 standard so it does have the ability to still handle well for its size. The Boss though is like a go-kart... it wants YOU to go fast, take the curves hard, and rewards you with a permagrin the SS can't match. I haven't driven a ZL1 or a 1LE but I would imagine those are loads of fun to own/drive as well. I'd die for a ZL1 but what I really am craving for next is the new C7 Stingray... ok ok back to topic.

- Comfort as a daily driver definitely goes to the SS; it has comfy leather although the Boss has the awesome Recaro option and has more backseat room and larger trunk space than the Camaro. But I'm so used to the SS as my DD. I'm also used to the lower roofline... like a choptop. Not a big deal. It doesn't bother me at all... in fact I like it; feels more inconspicuous/discreet. :ninja:

- Feature & amenities goes to the SS hands down... mine is the 45th Anniv edition and it's basically a 2SS trim so it's loaded although no sunroof option in mine and I'm glad. I have HIDs, 20" 45th anniv rims w/ Brembos at all 4 corners, HUD, Reverse Cam, Remote Start, Power Seats, USB/BT, Sirius, and more creature comforts... perfect for a DD. The '12 Boss 302 is as bare as it gets... can't even get Sync in the '12 Boss'es unlike the 13's which stinks because if anything I'd love to have at least factory USB/BT for my iPhone. Ugh. :(

- I haven't tracked the Boss yet... it has <3k miles and the SS has 11k miles... I'ved had both for about a year now. I did take the SS to a 1/8 mile track and my best so far is 8.6 secs @83.5mph... converted that's roughly 13.4 secs in the 1/4... and I launched it poorly since my best 60' time is 2.0 secs. Ideally I should be getting 1.8-1.9 60' times in order to run close to 13 flat. It's fun though even in the Camaro... and I don't use the paddle shifters often, it's a gimmick imho. ;)

- Stylewise/aesthetics... obviously this gets very subjective since everyone has their own taste but the 45th Anniv SS is what lured me to buy it. I like special editions and the Carbon Flash Metallic is a cool color to me. I love the flared/broad quarters of the Camaro and its stance, even in stock form. On the other hand, the Boss 302 is in a legendary league of its own... looks great the way it is as-is. :hail:

- Mods.... It's still 100% stock and I do plan to keep my Boss at or near stock. If anything I'd like to eventually add the 302S grill with the functional foglight openings; I wish Ford did that to the '12s as standard like the 13's ability. As for the Camaro, I have some mods already done - it has a CAI by C.A.I, carbon fiber Havoc rear diffuser, LED DRL's, custom 45th anniv theme on the fenders, carbon fiber GM strut bar, carbon fiber fuse box cover, and carbon fiber engine cover with electroluminescence & finished in 45th anniv theme.

Last but not least and like I said before I'm a fan of many high performance cars... and both the Mustang & Camaro deserve praises equally. Put it this way, I'd rather own these 2 proven muscle/pony cars than say.... a pair of more boring coupes. Best of both worlds... if I had to give up and go JDm, I'd make it equivalent to owning an Evo and a STi.

Lots more info & pics here of both my cars.... glad to share my ownership experience with you all. :cheers:

KZStang

Great write up Bossing! And love the website homage for your two cars:cheers:

Many of the creature comforts in your SS are exactly what I'd like to see as more standard options in future Stangs, hopefully sooner than later. Ford has some work to do in this department. I think the global strategy will help with this - won't be as easy to sell on muscle alone.

The fact that the SS is your DD is a tribute to how fun and adrenaline inducing our beloved Stangs are to drive.... or at least that's what I'd like to believe. :) Its why I save my '69 for the weekends!

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
^^^ Definitely agree how fun to drive the Mustangs are... what lured me to purchasing a '12 model was a long business trip in Seattle back in the summer of '11. My 8-weeks rental car was a 2011 V6 Mustang (auto) and I liked it! Needless to say that's what all it took for me to finally consider buying a Mustang in early 2012. I was looking at 5.0 GT models until the dealer offered me a proposition that was difficult to refuse (nearly 4K off of the Boss' MSRP) since the '13s were close to arriving in their lots. :D

I think Ford is on the right path on including more & more standard amenities in the Mustangs year after year. Case in point, the '13 models have HID/LED standard and the '13 Boss has Sync + Track Apps too! I wish I had those on my '12. :tsk:

I may get flamed for this but I wish Ford reserved the Shelby front fascia (snout) specifically just for the GT500s and maybe the '13 Boss... not as a standard face-lift revision for all '13 models. I think that front end change was a signature of the Shelby models... oh well, hindsight now.

Here's a rear view shot of my Boss... at a local show last weekend.

In front is a 1964.5 convertible w/ the 260 V8 my friend owns.

Sponsored

Ricky35

Thanks for the great review Bossing! DIdn't expect anything that detailed :D

Curious what you drove and owned right before the Camaro and Mustang...?

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Thanks for the great review Bossing! DIdn't expect anything that detailed :D
Curious what you drove and owned right before the Camaro and Mustang...?
Anytime! Prior I had an '01 E55 and a '98 M3... fun cars but were aging. I traded in the AMG as d/p for the Boss... best decision I made.

Looks like alot of other nice rides in this thread. Let's see more pics!

groundnpounder

Anytime! Prior I had an '01 E55 and a '98 M3... fun cars but were aging. I traded in the AMG as d/p for the Boss... best decision I made.

Looks like alot of other nice rides in this thread. Let's see more pics!
98 M3.. is that an E46 or E36?

American cars quality are always getting dumped on by the auto press compared to German cars. I've never owned a German car before, are they really that much better quality?

groundnpounder

I don't actually have a digital photo of my first car - a used 1987 Mitsubishi Cordia, that's how long ago it was.

But here's a representative pic.

FWD and was one of the first cars imported and sold to US by Mitsu without involving Chrysler, its partner back then.

135 hp turbo :)

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
98 M3.. is that an E46 or E36?
American cars quality are always getting dumped on by the auto press compared to German cars. I've never owned a German car before, are they really that much better quality?
E36. Both the bimmer and benz were a decade apart in its technology & life cycle and both had its share of problems/bugs but the quality of the AMG is topnotch however the biggest issues I had was a failed A/C compressor in 2011 (replaced for $600) and a weeping rear main seal in 2012 (traded the E55 in for the Boss). Currently yes the quality of the German cars are at another higher level but the American cars have really narrowed the gap. Better quality control across the board IMO.

Here they were...

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I don't actually have a digital photo of my first car - a used 1987 Mitsubishi Cordia, that's how long ago it was.

But here's a representative pic.

FWD and was one of the first cars imported and sold to US by Mitsu without involving Chrysler, its partner back then.

135 hp turbo :)
I bet that was still a nice peppy quick ride!

I also previously owned a Diamond Star coupe... bought new in 1995 a '95 Eclipse GSX (AWD Turbo; 210hp/214lbs-ft). Fun little car and drove it year round even thru the winters in Philly burbs. Kept it all stock and only mod I ever did was a new set of ATS Italia rims... here it is!
gsx.jpg

Mach1

Fun little car and drove it year round even thru the winters in Philly burbs. Kept it all stock and only mod I ever did was a new set of ATS Italia rims... here it is!
Hah that's funny. In college, I had an Eclipse GS-T with that crazy spoiler! I think it was 205hp and the only mod I did was threw in an air filter for I think 5hp gain. Definitely a fun car to drive. That turbo lag was epic tho haha.

I know I have pics of it lying around somewhere. Pre-digital so if I find any physical copies ill scan it and put it up.

Mustangz

Threads
Reaction score
I just got this Mustang yesterday 8/23/13. It's a 2013 Red Candy Metallic GT Premium, with Recaro's.shaker pro sound system,sway bars,and electronic package.
5.0 mustang.jpg
gt engine.jpg
gt rear.jpg
gt sale.jpg
gt shop.jpg
gt side.jpg
gt v8.jpg
gt wheels.jpg
recaro.jpg

Retrostang

Retrostang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Platinum
Well guys, I bought my 2013 Red candy GT Premium yesterday,19 inch luster perelli tires,electronic package,recaro's and shaker pro sound system
I like the wheels. That's the style I'm getting on mine. How do you like the shaker pro system? I ordered that also. I'm hoping it's worth the extra money. The shaker 500 sounded awful IMO.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
A few photos of my car on various road course tracks.

Sponsored