Sponsored

Can't decide - EB/PP/MR or GT/Prem

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
Currently driving a 15 EB Premium. I am going to be getting an 18 around March. Trying to wait for winter to pass before getting a new mustang. I am REALLY torn on what direction to take. I have been tossing this around for weeks as I might order one next month to get exactly what I want.

A little background. I drive about 20,000 miles a year. This car will be my daily driver. Live in the Northeast and dont have a garage. I will be driving this in rain, snow or shine.

Currently like my EB for the most part. It has the FP tune and it pretty peppy. I dont really hit high RPMs even in spirited driving, maybe 2-4500k most of the time. It can pull pretty good, so not really sure I need all that the GT can put down.

On the other hand the GT sounds fantastic, the new engine is a beast and it will probably more reliable in the long run. But a garage queen it will not be, it will be outdoors 24/7 and so not sure its worth the investment. It would be a pricy daily. Though a fun daily.

I have driven both an 18 base EB and Premium GT. GT sounded awesome and I liked the power, but the EB was no slouch and honestly not sure I can fully use the power of the GT. I dont track or race ever.

So I am looking at one of the following 2 configs.

EB - Premium - 10 SP Auto - PP - Magnaride - Safe & Smart
OR
GT - Premium - 10 SP Auto - Active Exhaust

Price difference is about $4.5k

I would really like the Magnaride. To do that on the GT Premium puts it at 10k over the EB basically.

So just can not decide if its worth sacrificing some things to get the V8. First it would be a lot more in gas, insurance surprisingly would only be about $13 more a month. I think most suspension parts are similar between GT and EB PP. But the EB PP has the 3.55 Torsen and the GT does not have the Torsen. Plus I could afford the Magnaride which I am excited about. How much better is the Torsen differential? Basically the EB would have more features and better parts for less money.

Every time I think I made up my mind, I change it again. I want to get an order in so I can just let it go, lol. :headbonk:
Sponsored

LowcountryMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Currently driving a 15 EB Premium. I am going to be getting an 18 around March. Trying to wait for winter to pass before getting a new mustang. I am REALLY torn on what direction to take. I have been tossing this around for weeks as I might order one next month to get exactly what I want.

A little background. I drive about 20,000 miles a year. This car will be my daily driver. Live in the Northeast and dont have a garage. I will be driving this in rain, snow or shine.

Currently like my EB for the most part. It has the FP tune and it pretty peppy. I dont really hit high RPMs even in spirited driving, maybe 2-4500k most of the time. It can pull pretty good, so not really sure I need all that the GT can put down.

On the other hand the GT sounds fantastic, the new engine is a beast and it will probably more reliable in the long run. But a garage queen it will not be, it will be outdoors 24/7 and so not sure its worth the investment. It would be a pricy daily. Though a fun daily.

I have driven both an 18 base EB and Premium GT. GT sounded awesome and I liked the power, but the EB was no slouch and honestly not sure I can fully use the power of the GT. I dont track or race ever.

So I am looking at one of the following 2 configs.

EB - Premium - 10 SP Auto - PP - Magnaride - Safe & Smart
OR
GT - Premium - 10 SP Auto - Active Exhaust

Price difference is about $4.5k

I would really like the Magnaride. To do that on the GT Premium puts it at 10k over the EB basically.

So just can not decide if its worth sacrificing some things to get the V8. First it would be a lot more in gas, insurance surprisingly would only be about $13 more a month. I think most suspension parts are similar between GT and EB PP. But the EB PP has the 3.55 Torsen and the GT does not have the Torsen. Plus I could afford the Magnaride which I am excited about. How much better is the Torsen differential? Basically the EB would have more features and better parts for less money.

Every time I think I made up my mind, I change it again. I want to get an order in so I can just let it go, lol. :headbonk:
Go GT and that's coming from someone who was making the exact decision as you. You already have the 2015 Premium and if you re up on the Eco you will just be doing it for the 10 speed, hood vents, and PP/Magneride.

GT Premium (and Eco for that matter) has many, but certainly not all, of the of the 2017 Performance Pack additions minus the meat of the Brembo, Magne, and larger radiator. Suspension and handling run much better stock which should give you more confidence in the 2018 GT Stock.

There are many resources out there concerning the 10 speed auto and 3.15, which comes stock. 3.15 on auto runs better with the 10 speed on the line and from red light to red light. The 3.55 will make the car run at a higher RPM(especially on the highway) and will definitely use 1-2 mpg more based upon member observations from 2015-2017. Overall the general consensus is that 3.15 is more than fine for the 2018 Auto.

The 2018 GT 10 Speed can be upgraded to 3.55 for under $500 (Outside the Performance Pack) with Ford during the order as well.

If you have been driving the Ecoboost for a while and you're happy with the sound and performance then I say stick with it!

Either way go 401A. I saw one today and the interior takes a big step up from 400A and the digital dash is something I'm glad I got on mine!

OP
OP

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I forgot to mention I would get 201A or 401A as well. Want the digital dash and the heated steering wheel.

I guess the practical side is saying the EB is MORE than enough as a daily. And once you add in all the new tech and PP (which has the 3.55 Torsen, the GT Prem does not), plus magnaride, that would still be a plenty nice car. There is just so much good stuff in the GT all the hype is getting to me :)

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Doesn’t seem worth it to me to upgrade unless you’re getting something significantly better just more of the same with zero miles. Doesn’t seem worth it to reset your payment and terms. It also appears you’ve already done some decent upraised on the current EB. I’d just keep what you have. Get that thing paid off instead of resetting for 5-7 years.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Throwing in a thought here, if the decision between the two is heavily based on financial reasons, just go for the GT+PP and all the other good stuff you want, and with the PP you'll get a 3.73 LSD. Money can always be made and if you have confidence you'll be able to afford it, then go for it. If other reasons are the main problem, which I can't really think of any, then just buy whichever make less sense, since people always buy something that makes sense and regret later.

Sponsored

OP
OP

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn’t seem worth it to me to upgrade unless you’re getting something significantly better just more of the same with zero miles. Doesn’t seem worth it to reset your payment and terms. It also appears you’ve already done some decent upraised on the current EB. I’d just keep what you have. Get that thing paid off instead of resetting for 5-7 years.
Yeah I have been thinking about this. A new EB get me the new dash, heated steering wheel, upgraded interior bits, 10 speed auto, upgraded brakes and magnaride. The rest of my current suspension is all steeda and probably at least as good as the PP. I really am interested in the magnaride so that would be a big plus. Other than that similar car, plus I have the FP tune, so stock 18 probably would not be as quick, though the new transmission might make a good impact. But not sure these few things are really worth a new loan. If I went eo, actually just thought about trying to buy the various pieces that can be installed in a 15 and go that route. I actually got the car in November 14 and make extra payments so only have about 21 months left.

Additionally if I get an EB I need an IC, catch can and would like the GT grille. Would probably do an exhaust as well. So I am already in another 2k.

GT is more of an upgrade. Get the V8, plus the dash, steering wheel, active exhaust, 10 speed auto, bigger brakes. I would probably get the 3.55 gears, though its not Torsen like the EB PP would be. I just wonder about the practicality of a GT daily driver that can't even be garaged. Its a lot to spend on a vehicle that is going to be outdoors 24/7 and used year round in the Northeast. EB just seems like more of a fun commuter car that looks great to me.

Throwing in a thought here, if the decision between the two is heavily based on financial reasons, just go for the GT+PP and all the other good stuff you want, and with the PP you'll get a 3.73 LSD. Money can always be made and if you have confidence you'll be able to afford it, then go for it. If other reasons are the main problem, which I can't really think of any, then just buy whichever make less sense, since people always buy something that makes sense and regret later.
This is definitely the other end of things, lol. Screw it, wait for some good incentives and go all out. You only live once right?! Could I afford it? Yes. I could make it work. I could find some ways to save in other areas that would make the impact minimal. Just never spent that much on a car before. Dream car, I would do GT, Prem, auto, 401A, PP, Magnaride and call it a day. I did all the math and if I could be patient until a 0/72 It would cost no more than GT, Prem, auto 401A with no special financing. Plus I have signed up for ever list under the sun hoping for some private cash, time that with some incentives and it would really work. Patience is not my strong suit, but I am trying. I really want to wait until spring, dont want to gunk up a new car with all the salt and crap right away. Plus gives me another 3-4 months to pay down current loan.

By the way will go same color combo as you Lightning Blue/Midnight Blue either way

_Horizons_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecooboost Premium
I've got a 15 EB Premium now.. engine ended up throwing a rod, huge hole in the block. Was warranty covered. Was thinking about getting the 18 GT before that happened. When it happened, it was for sure. I didn't see the point in buying new unless it was a big difference. Like they say, if you're worried about cost.. you should probably just stick with what you have.

OP
OP

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got a 15 EB Premium now.. engine ended up throwing a rod, huge hole in the block. Was warranty covered. Was thinking about getting the 18 GT before that happened. When it happened, it was for sure. I didn't see the point in buying new unless it was a big difference. Like they say, if you're worried about cost.. you should probably just stick with what you have.
Mine threw a rod at 27k, which is another reason why I am a little hesitant to get another EB. Ford covered it, but was a PITA, dont want to go through that again.

_Horizons_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecooboost Premium
Mine threw a rod at 27k, which is another reason why I am a little hesitant to get another EB. Ford covered it, but was a PITA, dont want to go through that again.

I was only at 17k

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Get the GT, you will regret that you didn't. Don't settle

Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Absolutely get the GT. But I wouldn’t get one with PP. Love 3.73s and wouldn’t have anything else. But car payments suck IMO, so wouldn’t buy unless you can pay cash. That’s why I got a ‘15 GT recently. Way cheaper. Only had 5500 mi. I’d rather have a Focus ST than an EB personally.

jesse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT vert
I am working on some of the same decisions. I want the 5.0 so that is a given. I passed on it many years ago and regretted that decision.:mad:

My thoughts are:
I want the light color interior seats (only on 400a) on a convertible here in the south and I do not think I will use the color gauges display after the first 2 months of ownership therefore I will forego 401a.
The big choice I am thinking about is do i get the PP and magnaride? This will be a Daily for me and I will not be tracking this car. I like the idea of the magnaride and that is the draw but PP comes with Summer only tires and My thoughts are that will not work on a daily in the winter. Second those summer only tires will be replaced much quicker at a higher cost. Is this a legitimate concern? Also the cost of brakes will be much higher with the brembos. So does the PP make sense on a DD? I am thinking i will go with the black out package or the 5 spoke silver 19" wheel instead? I am not a fan of the 18" standard rims.

Drove the a10, Love it, decision made there.:clap2:

Played with the active exhaust on a seperate test. Decided the stock is fine for my DD. Quiet if you stay out of the throttle and great sounding when you are on it, so I do not need that option.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
My my .02:
1-I would only buy a GT.
2-I would never buy a new $40K GT that was going to sit outside/no garage and make payments on it.
3-I would have a $5K beater for commuting/winter driving (had an '05 Focus ZX3 with 35K mi on it for $5K, was flawless).
4-If It HAD to sit outside and HAD to be my only car and it HAD to be a GT, I get a used '15 or something <$30K. Saving tons of money as the depreciation already hit and you can use that $$ for gas.

I know, this is just my take on things. That's all.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
whats the difference between a gt and eco sitting outside? they are both just cars. I personally wouldn't even touch a E B in a mustang. get the v8 and join the dark side

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
dont make any regrets man, get the GT

everyone eventually trades their ecoboom for a GT. AND you wont sound absolutely horrible with exhaust. GT all day.
Sponsored