Sponsored

Under hood possible GT500 with supercharged 5.2

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Sorry if this is a repost but i didn't see it in the other threads.

They are calling this a SC FPC 5.2 but i have my doubts on the flat plane part.

possible-Ford-Shelby-GT500-prototype-engine-bay.jpg

ford-shelby-mustang-spied-front-view-01.jpg

ford-shelby-mustang-spied-rear-view-01.jpg

ford-shelby-mustang-spied-rear-three-quarter-01.jpg

SPIED! POSSIBLE SHELBY GT500 MUSTANG SHOWS OFF SUPERCHARGED V-8

ZL1-challenging Mustang could get supercharged Voodoo

The Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is about to get some supercharged competition from Ford if this exclusive spy shot is any indication. Sent in by a well-placed source, the photo shows a Shelby Mustang with a supercharged engine under the hood.

In the lone image we can see a supercharged V-8 installed in what appears to be a Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang body. Our source tells us itā€™s a supercharged version of the GT350ā€™s 5.2-liter flat-plane-crank Voodoo V-8. The supercharger install is very clean, and the blower and associated parts look very similar to those included in a Ford Performance supercharger kit for the Mustang GT. That kit is estimated by Ford to make 670 hp when mounted to a 5.0-liter V-8, so thereā€™s huge potential for the 5.2-liter Voodoo, which makes 526 hp and 429 lb-ft of torque in naturally aspirated form. Thatā€™s good news considering the last GT500 made 662 hp and the current ZL1 makes 650 hp.

So is this the GT500? We canā€™t say for sure, but the claim of a flat-plane-crank V-8 does jibe with what we heard when we spotted a Shelby Mustang prototype testing with a Camaro ZL1 a couple weeks back. When asked about the photo, a Ford spokesman said the company doesnā€™t comment on speculation. Itā€™s possible Ford is testing an OEM supercharger kit for the GT350, which would also be cool. But we prefer to believe this is a mule for the GT500 and weā€™ll soon see Fordā€™s answer to the ZL1. The Shelby GT500 celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2017, so we could see a new model debut this year.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/spied-possible-shelby-gt500-mustang-shows-off-supercharged-v-8/
Sponsored

stinger556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family hauler, for now
I copied this comment from somewhere else and it describes how I feel perfectly:

"That looks more like FRPP testing a blower kit that they are preparing to release.

The 7.0L V8 rumor, however, has got everybody's attention. Anything less at this point would be a major disappointment."

BA939P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 & 14GT
hope it will come true, but it seems more like aftermarket supercharger kit on gt350.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
I'm not sure this is the real deal or not, but I still don't foresee Ford going NA 7.0 L either. IMO, a 7.0 L 4V engine (completely new design, ground up) would be a packaging nightmare in the Mustang chassis.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think it's a kit R&D. Or possibly a future Cobra. 5.8 GT500 and FPC GT350 set the bar high on uniqueness. New GT500 with "only" a supercharged 5.0/5.2 would be awesome but not necessarily unique. Twin turbos is still leading the back as far as possibilities. I believe only thing that would derail would be fears of overheating or reliability issues. Then just falling back on supercharger as a backup.

New 7.0 might be based on outgoing 6.2. The bore spacing on 6.2 allows for increased bored to 7.0 with PTWA or bore and slight stroke with conventional liners. Anyway bore spacing and deck height from 6.2 support 7.0 with no problems. A coyote-style DOHC stretched to match bore spacing, combustion chamber increased to match much larger bore, valve size increased and ports increased. Just some key strokes on CAD? But my point with known 6.2 block size and approximate DOHC head size. A DOHC 7.0 would be 2.5" longer and 1/2" wider and 1/2" taller (assuming compact coyote/gt350 style manifold not tall truck version). I should fit. Will it happen? 6.2 never made it to Mustang.

I agree it goes against the downsizing montra of Ford and general idea of smaller more efficient is better long term. But then again, if they think truck version should get standard aluminum block and DOHC. It would be crazy not to put in the Mustang.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Ford can tout a downsizing montra for their overall product , but can make an exception with a low volume high performance Mustang. I think Ford knows Mustang buyers well enough that they know we like big cube engines with great torque numbers.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 mustang gt
Might be a CP crank version that is being supercharged, but like everyone else I find it doubtful Ford would slap a supercharger onto its flat plane screamer. Although it does make you wonder if the supercharger effect on NVH.

At the risk of derailing the thread even further , I also like the talk of the 7.0l . Makes you wonder what a dohc 7,000 rpm capable 6.2 based 7.0 engine could do. The 2010 raptor xt (no vin) had 500hp just with some different cams, and from what I understand the sohc 2v 6.2 truck heads flow as good as or better than the 5.0l. I also skim from unsubstantiated sources that ported 6.2 heads approach 400cfm on the intake side (some say 430cfm or so). Certainly makes you wonder what would happen if ford just gave the boss (302) treatment to the boss 2v 6.2 heads (CNC bigger valves , more aggressive cams, the works). With the additional unshrouding of the valves from the ptwa treatment, more cubes and some more aggressive camming, seems like 600+ hp could be had, without resulting to the dohc treatment. I am not sure about fitment, however given the 6.2 has a shorter stroke than a 5.4, wouldn't it likely be narrower? I honestly couldn't find any measurements , but I would be surprised if it was much wider than a dohc coyote. I guess it would be about 2 inches longer, based on the bore spacing, which could be problematic. Somehow I see ford making some gorilla of an engine then trying to cheap out and use the getrag behind it, lol.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
Stroke and engine width don't necessarily go hand in hand. Its more about deck height than stroke, because deck height will limit stroke. The larger the deck height, the wider the engine footprint.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
This is a strange leak. Why pixelate the other Mustang in the background? I mean, if you're going to leak some info, leak some info.

Fishy smelling, to me.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
This is a strange leak. Why pixelate the other Mustang in the background? I mean, if you're going to leak some info, leak some info.

Fishy smelling, to me.

The pixelation could be a person standing next to the car.

Sponsored

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
Website Clickbait

NavyChief122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Everyone knows the new GT500 is either going to be a 5.0 with the blower tvs or more than likely a whipple on it or a 5.2 with the blower on it without the flat plane crank

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Everyone knows the new GT500 is either going to be a 5.0 with the blower tvs or more than likely a whipple on it or a 5.2 with the blower on it without the flat plane crank
That's the problem......we don't know anything.....but we can certainly assume ;)

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
x2

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜17 Ruby red GT350
X3 :thumbsup:
Sponsored