Supercharged 5.0

cp5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 ingot silver gt pp
I understand the 5.0 is not new just revised a bit. That being said how reliable are they when a supercharger is added? The days of the push rod 5.0 tough on head gaskets when boost was applied. Plus the tuning aspect back then left much to be desired. From what I've read online it seems as though they hold up better when boost is applied.

I'm really wanting to add a supercharger to my new mustang, but want to find out if the motor is reliably up to the task.

Thanks
Sponsored

HBMike

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
we make 650 wheel and actively track our car on a 2012 5.0 our setup can be had for less than 10k

OP
OP

cp5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 ingot silver gt pp
I'm not looking to set any records. 550-600 is just fine for this car as its just going to hold me over till the gt350 or z06 comes out next year. I just want it to be reliable.

jaja6009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No s550 yet :(
It should be reliable. But nothing is certain. Alot of people have blowers on Coyotes. Some have had the motor pop, most are good.

For added piece of mind you can opt for a powertrain warranty from FRPP, Roush or Whipple. While not as good as the factory warranty at least you have something. But the tunes that make these kits able to come with a powertrain warranty are softer, less powerful tunes than a dyno tune or a tune from a professional tuner.

As stated above stock this car is 100% reliable because if it breaks its fixed 100% for free. You start to mod and the reliability and the warranty coverage may be compromised.
You should be good, but know there is a chance of something bad.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Reliable SC power is going to come down to the tune. Must have a very, very reputable tuner.

My 03 Cobra was close to 500rwhp for almost 5 years and 45k miles. Not one single issue. Had one of the best tuners tune it.

Trevon

97 Hummer, 15 GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Recaro
I've seen a lot of these never have issues with a supercharger. Keep a bigger pulley on it for less stress on the daily and I'm sure it would be as is if stock.

That being said, is there any way to roll the cost of said supercharger in with the dealer at the time of purchase?
Sponsored