Before You Dyno a Whipple Tune Car

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Yeah I found this out last year on the Dyno when I made 670 whp at half throttle with the safety features on except knock limiting. I was amazed the car made that power at half throttle. With overload limiting turned off I made 730 wheel through stock manifolds and 3.5" pulley at 18* spark.

This spring I got HP Tuners and have the Whipple cal tweaked for cam timing and PE for drivability and will be hitting the dyne again now with all the Guardian Safety features turned off. Thanks for posting your results up and your experience here.
Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I can make 900whp on this dyno..
That place uses a Dynapack (hub dyno). Same place the one Jip brother was tuned and supposedly made 600hp... same one Jared walked in the black Cobra.

SQ

Racerbox77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Cobra
I have a manual trans Gen 2 stage 2 with 1 7/8" ARH long tubes to Corsa 3". With the 3.625 pulley and 93 octane. The car made 711 whp and 565 wtq. I logged it using my HPTuners. The car kept making power till we shut it down at 7600. It was around 19 degrees of timing and 12 psi. No throttle cut or nannies on. If we pulled it to 8000 it probably would have made 725whp.

All dyno's are different but I will say that I've never , until now, heard of 785 whp with basically my same set up. I'd say run it in the quarter and if it traps 140 the dyno is accurate. If its mid 130's your with the rest of us in the bottom 700's.

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I 100% agree that the numbers seem a bit high. I know dynapacks eliminate the possiblity of wheel slip, let alone less rotating mass since they bolt directly to the hub.

I'm under the impression that given the same day, time, location, and weather....a mustang dyno will read lowest, dynojet a bit higher, and dynapacks reading the highest.

What I found interesting was not necessarily the numbers I put down, but rather the substantial increase when the whipple guardian features are turned off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Here is the video from the final pull.

[ame]

If anyone would like a copy of the HP Tuners log file, shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg

Sponsored

ramirj2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium, 2003 350z, 1978 280z
I purchased the HP tuners cable and credits last week and had the car tuned for the headers and cat deletes.

Baseline Whipple tune with the 3.625 pulley made 710 hp and 552 ft lbs.

With simply turning off the safety features from the Whipple Flare program, we made 786 hp and 592 ft lbs and picked up and extra 2 lbs of boost. (Whipple overload limiting only allows 45% throttle. When this is turned off it goes to 85% throttle.)

My tuner didn't even have to do much with the Whipple tune other than tweak some drivability stuff such as power enrichment and torque tables.

HP tuners also allows you to view knock by individual cylinder, which is nice!

Data log showed zero knock, 18-19 degrees timing with the Whipple tune wanting to add 1 to 2 degrees more. Tuner advised we could safely make another 30 to 50 hp more, but I felt no need to push it further as it is my daily and rides on streets tires.

Sunoco 93 octane.

I'd recommend using HP tuners as you can tweak the base Whipple file and then retain the ability to use the flare settings as needed (I.E. power by gear etc.)
Did you read from your stock whipple calibration?
I tried with 3.7 beta past week and got this;
815E3313-1F9E-4602-9B23-DC60040CE2A9.jpeg

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
We read the stock whipple tune using the beta version of HP Tuners. I remember seeing that dialog box and clicking OK.

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
That place uses a Dynapack (hub dyno). Same place the one Jip brother was tuned and supposedly made 600hp... same one Jared walked in the black Cobra.

SQ
Makes sense.

Stang27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Within the guardian/ Flare program we turned off CHT limiting, FRP limiting, knock limit (whipple advises to have this turned off anyway), INJ DC limiting, and Overload limiting.

If I was road racing the car, I'd probably flip them back on. I don't see the necessity of having them turned on otherwise for causal daily driving and an occasional 1/4 mile run here or there.

I'll leave octane adjust on once the weather gets cooler and stations introduce the winter blend back.

CHT Limiting[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]: The Cylinder Head Limiting temperature limiting feature is for applications intended for racing in control events. This will reduce the amount of added safety based off of the factory Cylinder Head Temp. This reduces spark advance to add safety when racing and coolant temps are not maintained. All knock sensor and other safety features are still on.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]FRP Limiting[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]: The factory fuel system does not include a fuel pressure sensor. Whipple Superchargers offers a fuel rail pressure sensor to add increased safety for systems where the stock fuel system may reach its limit. The FRP limit will adapt before the fuel trims so the predictions will be more accurate for fuel pressure falling. The FRP limit will also cut power when the fuel system reaches a critical supply level. This system only works when the FRP sensor is installed and wired. This can be left on or toggled off, it will not change until the sensor is installed.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]Knock Limit[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]: This feature is defaulted on and works off the factory knock sensors. It constantly monitors knock events, in cases where you have poor gas or another issue and the knock sensor activity becomes too active, the knock limit reduces power output (cylinder pressure) by holding the throttle back until the knock activity has reduced for a calibrated time. When this featured is toggled [/FONT][/FONT]OFF[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma], the system will work as normal where the knock sensor is active for advancing/retarding. [/FONT][/FONT]INJ DC Limiting[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]: This feature allows the customer to toggle the pre-defined "MAX" fuel injector duty cycle limit in applications where the fuel injector may be prematurely clipping the targeted power level. This should only be toggled off in a race application after discussing with Whipple.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]Overload Limiting[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]: This feature consistently monitors airflow vs its torque output and consistently adapts to the environment. When a customer changes the pulley that can exceed the fuel and air calibration, the PCM recognizes the changes and limits the capacity.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
So its safe to run with everything off? Of course it's not the safest for WOT but can be done ?Just want to try and see if it fells better.

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
So its safe to run with everything off? Of course it's not the safest for WOT but can be done ?Just want to try and see if it fells better.
I ran that tune with the guardian features turned off for about a year without issue. Always sunoco 93 octane with a bottle of octane booster every fill up.
Sponsored