Sponsored

2016 Mustang GT - Lost 4th Gear on First Track Day

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Seems to me if you are HPDE driver, and it is honking more than stock power, you should maybe keep a spare transmission on the rack. Not a slam on you, and I get the frustration, but it is a known weak link, and it is being used above the engineering assumptions that were in place.
Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I don't think the MT82 is garbage at all. It's actually one of the better shifting transmissions Ford has used. Usually it's abuse, a driving error, or you get unlucky.

My 4th gear lasted a couple years, 1 of those years I did a full track season (road course) on the stock clutch with 0 issues. Then the past year it has been at 850+ for about 9 months, the last 3 were over 900.

My gear left me in the first round of eliminations at StreetCar Takeover. I had all the proper mounts, clutch, shifter, and driver mod and still lost the gear, but I'm pretty sure the 900+ WHP had something to do with it:D

I dropped a 70k mile MT82 in while I'm waiting on Ben to put GForce gears in my old case. Despite the occasional notch (its rare really) the trans shifts like butter despite being abused as well.

Since you probably have all the accessories (shifter, clutch) it would be best to just have Calimer build you a stage 2 and replace the gear OR if you plan on making big power down the road just get him to build you a gforce MT82. They are rated at 1000whp/900wtq.

OP
OP

Rexpelagi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Anything
I don't think the MT82 is garbage at all. It's actually one of the better shifting transmissions Ford has used. Usually it's abuse, a driving error, or you get unlucky.

My 4th gear lasted a couple years, 1 of those years I did a full track season (road course) on the stock clutch with 0 issues. Then the past year it has been at 850+ for about 9 months, the last 3 were over 900.

My gear left me in the first round of eliminations at StreetCar Takeover. I had all the proper mounts, clutch, shifter, and driver mod and still lost the gear, but I'm pretty sure the 900+ WHP had something to do with it:D

I dropped a 70k mile MT82 in while I'm waiting on Ben to put GForce gears in my old case. Despite the occasional notch (its rare really) the trans shifts like butter despite being abused as well.

Since you probably have all the accessories (shifter, clutch) it would be best to just have Calimer build you a stage 2 and replace the gear OR if you plan on making big power down the road just get him to build you a gforce MT82. They are rated at 1000whp/900wtq.
Agreed! Now that I know it was the clutch and not the torque level itself that killed it, I'm less anti-MT82. If it was torque alone killing it, I wouldn't want another one, but I think the rebuild is the right way to go.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Agreed! Now that I know it was the clutch and not the torque level itself that killed it, I'm less anti-MT82. If it was torque alone killing it, I wouldn't want another one, but I think the rebuild is the right way to go.

Yeah the ET04XD is beast mode. You can call Exedy and see what they want for a set of organic/combo discs. I wouldn't ditch the whole clutch as it is just leaps and bounds better than the RST.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP

How much does a gforce MT82 go for these days. Seems like a much more cost effective option than switching to a T56 as you could retain clutch, driveshaft, and AM shifter.

Sponsored

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Gforce is not cheap at all. I’m guessing that gearset would be near 4000$

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How much is a rebuild ?

How about a GT350 transmission? Could that work?

The Tremec Magnum has trans mounted shifter, and SFI approved steel bellhousing. You may not need those, but that sounds like an upgrade.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
You can do a Magnum XL properly for less than $5k. The MT82 would need to be less than $3k to make it worthwhile IMO.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
How much does a gforce MT82 go for these days. Seems like a much more cost effective option than switching to a T56 as you could retain clutch, driveshaft, and AM shifter.
Gforce is not cheap at all. I’m guessing that gearset would be near 4000$
You can do a Magnum XL properly for less than $5k. The MT82 would need to be less than $3k to make it worthwhile IMO.
GForce trans is $3k

It’s really worth it if you already have a driveshaft, clutch, and shifter like I do. I also have different gearing so a magnum/6060 swap would require a gear swap as well.

Otherwise a warmed over TR6060 from Ben is the best bet if you have 3.73’s or don’t mind adding those or 4.10’s.

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
GForce trans is $3k

It’s really worth it if you already have a driveshaft, clutch, and shifter like I do. I also have different gearing so a magnum/6060 swap would require a gear swap as well.

Otherwise a warmed over TR6060 from Ben is the best bet if you have 3.73’s or don’t mind adding those or 4.10’s.
What gforce trans? The gearset Ben has them make or a g101?
The gearset plus trans is more than that if the trans has issues.

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I'm not a fan of twin disc clutches on the track. Not to say for sure that is the issue, but when tracking, sometimes an enormously grippy clutch like what you would use for dig launches or the drag strip is not a good thing.

OP
OP

Rexpelagi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Anything

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
What gforce trans? The gearset Ben has them make or a g101?
The gearset plus trans is more than that if the trans has issues.
The GForce gearset for the MT82.

When I sent mine to him I asked if he wanted the good one I had or the one with broken 4th, he said it doesn't matter as the gears are all getting replaced anyways. I could see it being a little more if you busted a fork or totally trashed the case/etc.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That said, wasn't expecting to lose forth gear on track.
I feel for you as a fellow enthusiast and racer, but were you really surprised when you added 33% more hp and significantly more rpm to the stock unit and it broke?

I am not assuming anything with any car, especially a track car and especially when modding.
Sponsored