2018 Seat Cooling

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I don't really think it is a difference or variability in the cars.

The difference is in the people (perceptions/expectations), body types/shapes, environmental and clothing.

Body/clothing:

If you're 300+ lbs with lots of "back fat" your fat & skin are going to take the shape of the seat and block most of the holes from flowing air freely. Also, if you're wearing clothing that doesn't "breathe" and it also pushed tight to the seat as mentioned above you're not going to get very much cold air.

Now if you're a "fit person" with back muscles and an indent between them, some space in the lumbar area and your back doesn't go all the way to the edges blocking all the holes there is going to be more room / less pressure for air to blow through. Also, breathable clothes helps.

Climate:
Other variables like humidity, climate control settings/levels, outside temps, solar energy/heat penetrating the car, tinted windows, etc. all play factors in how "cool" you feel relatively speaking.
There might be some of this, but after owning 3 S550 (a 2015 and 2 2016s) they all felt the same (no back cooling) but the 2018 I drove recently the back got super cold. I'm the same person in the same area wearing the same types of clothes and experienced 2 very different levels of effectiveness. Once my 2019 comes in next month I'll weigh in again.
Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Question for anyone who can answer: if the seat back is NOT cooling or heating on a 2017, is it even worth it to take it to the dealership for warranty work? Or is that the basic design (or an accepted flaw) of the 15-17 S550s?
If your seat back isn't cooling it's up to you. Seat heaters should definitely work 100%.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I never had/missed seat cooling before. With my Focus ST3 full leather never had a issue not having the seat coolers. Then I rode in a friends F150 and was like no matter what my next car will have them, Las Vegas summers in the mid hundred and teens was great to have them. Fast forward to the night driving my premium home last week and was like the bottom seemed to cool great. But nothing on my back that I could really tell. Maybe lower back.. maybe. I do wear thin shirts due to it being 105* already. But still nothing like the F150. I did notice the fan though... a lot... it took me more minutes then I care to admit before I figured out the fan sound was my seat and not anything from the back of the car. I personally have the seats full blast all the time, though my girl doesn’t care for it.

I have read and heard that the mustang seats have never cooled like the fusion or F series... Lincoln also.. I remember seeing someone 3D printed a fix? Guess he doesn’t sell it anymore though? I can’t see, to find the post anymore

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Mostly depends on the clothing I have on. Usually I can't feel much, but I at least don't get hot. If I'm wearing gym shorts, it'll get cool quick.

OP
OP
Rippermac

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP A10
Well I'm here to tell you that my 18 doesn't have squat for cooling in the drivers back and the rump barely feels anything...I was hoping this was a non issue from previous years..so off to the dealer I go with not much hope of a fix. I feel and guess this will be an exercise in futility.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well I'm here to tell you that my 18 doesn't have squat for cooling in the drivers back and the rump barely feels anything...I was hoping this was a non issue from previous years..so off to the dealer I go with not much hope of a fix. I feel and guess this will be an exercise in futility.
Can you hear the TEDs powering on and circulating within the seats? I can definitely hear mine, and even though they are actually louder than my 2016, the power and circulation of them is great.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
My 2018 seats cool just as marginally as my 2015 did. I don’t feel any change.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Anti ball sweat technology. Check.

Anti back sweat technology? Not so much.

OP
OP
Rippermac

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP A10
Can you hear the TEDs powering on and circulating within the seats? I can definitely hear mine, and even though they are actually louder than my 2016, the power and circulation of them is great.
Yes I can...but definitely no cooling in the back

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Another side note, I wonder if there's some variability in the leather that causes the perforations to be larger or smaller. ie: real leather varies from animal to animal and sometimes the grain, thickness, etc... varies a little. Some seats might have better perforated holes through thinner leather or material the holds together and doesn't fray in to the holes as much? Just another random theory about variability.

sed6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I can hear mine for sure! It sounds like a fan running behind me, perhaps hidden in the back seat interior panel? Definately sound like the noise comes from over my left shoulder back there somewhere. Where's the fan located?
Sponsored