Sponsored

Sell a GT350R for an air-cooled 911??

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I wouldn’t mind having both... but the R is hands down too much of a great car with much more character to lose over an AC911.
Yeah the R has a unique character that's irreplaceable... but then again the same could be said or debated for aircooled Porsches, or any specialty Porsches in particular. There really is no single correct answer to satisfy all....well the correct one would be the one you yourself most prefer. Beauty and character is in the eye of the beholder. :thumbsup:

I have 3 GT-cars that have their own special character, each unique and exceptional. We all know the R is great.... may not be the fastest but it's one of the greatest to drive this side of 100k. The same can be said for both the GT4 and .2 GT3.... two totally different characteristics and two totally very fun car to own & drive. Just like the R, both are limited availability and both truly excel on open twisty roads or of course on the track. And all 3 can rev pretty high, with the R slotted in between (7600rpm for the GT4, 8250rpm for the R, and 9000rpm for the GT3). The high redline alone cannot be easily duplicated in an aircooled Porsche.

Now back to the aircooled P-cars.... it's not an easy decision to trade an R for an aircooled but it's not an entirely bad decision IMO. It's all subjective anyway so like the saying- just go with where your heart goes. Aircooled Porsches will always have a large cult-like following.... just like Shelbys, specifically GT350/GT350R.

I was at Luftgekuhlt-5 two weekends ago in Torrance, CA..... easily one of the best, if not the best, Porsche show I have ever witnessed. The California car culture is vastly different from what I see (and I love it) especially when compared to south FL where Lambos and McLarens run amuck replete with blingbling wheels, etc. For any car enthusiast especially for P-car fans, the yearly Luft show is worth the trek. So if [MENTION=9260]stanglife[/MENTION] decides to jump ship, he really won't be alone on the dark... he'll be joining forces with one of the best marques out there in terms of resources including all the aircooled quirks but yet still a fun-to-drive experience... and camaraderie.

Oh.... air and water can get along. :D

41779176311_d69d4a4760_b.jpg

Westfalia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Westfalia Camper
Because I want to work on something again and not feel guilty about it. Also, the market for these things is just crazy lately. I'd feel like I could mod away (tastefully) and still not take a beating on price. I can't really (and don't want/need to) touch the R...
You are buying at the top of the bubble fwiw.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
You are buying at the top of the bubble fwiw.
Give or take I would say... some aircooled models have either fluctuated or dropped (like the 964 RS America and even some 993 models) while a good number have risen (e.g. regular 964s and 912s since they are becoming more & more desirable). Many of us browse thru the interwebs do notice trends... here's an example of a 964 C2 from Hagerty which is a good tool, not perfect, but a good estimated valuation:

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/values/99370?yearRange=5
964_1992_C2_Hagerty.jpg

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
[MENTION=6571]Bossing[/MENTION] - I ended up buying a 94 RS America. Polar silver. 9th from the last made.

It's painfully slow, lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
FYI - been seeing 80k mile C2s sell for $65k, and fast.. Probably good or close to excellent condition but not concours.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
[MENTION=6571]Bossing[/MENTION] - I ended up buying a 94 RS America. Polar silver. 9th from the last made.

It's painfully slow, lol.
Oh wow congrats! Let's see pics when you get a chance... I love the 964 RSA. Polar also looks nice... has that ice vlue tint to it. Well done. :thumbsup:

And hey it's still fun to drive a slow car fast... I always enjoy my lil Miata. :D

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I have to admit..... I couldn't handle it. It's already tentatively sold. I've decided that I love the way they look but I don't like the way they drive that much.

The other issue was that I didn't listen to my own rules...I got taken in by a rare car and color that I liked.. I really wanted something to build into my own and an RSA isn't really that car.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
bad pic
s-l1600.jpg

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I have to admit..... I couldn't handle it. It's already tentatively sold. I've decided that I love the way they look but I don't like the way they drive that much.

The other issue was that I didn't listen to my own rules...I got taken in by a rare car and color that I liked.. I really wanted something to build into my own and an RSA isn't really that car.
Oh wow that was quick lol... one night stand so to speak. Old rwd aircooled Porsches are vastly different from our R's as you now know... but at least it's not too hard to resell it. Today's tech will certainly spoil anyone. How are the RSA prices btw? Did you at least recoup or profit a bit? And what now.... back to an R or a different course again?

Sponsored
OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I still have the R so no loss. Made a few bucks on the RSA - enough to cover expenses...although that wasn’t the initial plan...

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Wreck for wreck, I'll bet you would have a much better chance of surviving in the Mustang. Small point for many, but I would rather have something a few generations ahead in safety.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Nice extended test drive anyway.
Yes, it's a shame you weren't happy in the end, but it reminds me of the scene in the Audrey Hepburn movie Charade where the stamp collector through a mistake ends up with the most valuable stamp in the world, and giving it back to the owner says "I'm a collector. For a few minutes, it was mine, and that is enough."

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
SNIP it reminds me of the scene in the Audrey Hepburn movie Charade SNIP
And you freely/publicly admit that you know a quote from an Audrey Hepburn movie? :tsk:
Sponsored