WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Just had the dealer change out the oil/filter.

Invoice states that the oil is "Havoline FS 5W-30".
Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase

Bernborough

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernie
Vehicle(s)
Ingot GT Fastback Auto
All,
I have a few comments and observations that may be relevant to this topic. I am a maintenance professional who has worked in the heavy earth moving field for ~40 years. My comments relate to oils and engines in general - not the Mustang specifically.
There are a number of different concepts and issues raised in this thread - all of them are relevant and interesting in their own way. I offer my thoughts on some of them.
1. The issue raised by Scott regarding new components generating more wear metals during their run-in period is generally true and accepted by the industry. Whether or not you need to change the oil and filter as a response to this is debatable. The bottom line (and this has been raised by others) is - it can't hurt. So if it gives you peace of mind, do it.
2. The Intelligent Oil monitor has a number of features associated with it that may be confusing some. Firstly, it is important to know that it is not actually physically monitoring the health of your oil. It is taking a number of operating parameters from your engine and calculating the oil condition. The question is "how accurate is this and how much weight do I put on the result"? The only accurate way to know is to conduct oil analysis via a suitably qualified laboratory. This is not practical or affordable for the average car owner (samples usually cost more than $35 each and are not easily accessible for the general public). So it would be reasonable to expect that Ford have already conducted their own oil analysis and have correlated this to the various algorithms that their monitoring system uses. But have they actually done this?
3. The third issue that has been raised is that of the filter and should it be changed with the oil. Most engine oil filters block because of the presence of organic material (sludge) - not wear metals or other contaminants. Most engine oil filters (on automotive engines) have an inbuilt bypass valve. This valve opens when the differential pressure (the difference between input and outlet pressure) exceeds a set value. This is to protect the engine from oil starvation. The downside of this feature is that unfiltered oil is bypassed and fed directly into the engine when the valve is open. This valve will typically open on cold starts (particularly if engine revs are elevated) and also when the filter starts to clog. The sludge build up is increased by stop/start city driving, lots of cold starts etc. I would always change the filter when I changed the oil. There is some interesting information on filters in the attached link for those who are interested. The article is a few years old but still very relevant (some of you may be interested in the short but complimentary comments on the Australian made Ryco filter). http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html
I hope this is of interest.

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Also, for you DIYers, I noticed on OzBargain that Repco have 10 litre bottles of Castrol Edge FS 5W-30 on sale for $49.99 this Friday & Saturday.

Not sure if it's compatible with the Mustang (I'm sure someone here will know) - but it's a good deal apparently.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/280516

http://catalogues.repco.com.au/cata...1490293.html#pageNo=12&offerId=14804067123431

It's a great deal but it apparently doesn't meet all the requirements. Don't have the manual to fully check but it certainly doesn't show up as an option via their oil selector for either the GT or EB.

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
*shrug* I'm no mechanic and maybe one can chime in, but my understanding is that when an engine is breaking in there are metal fragments that come off the cylinder walls and end up in the oil... so getting rid of the dirty oil early on is a good idea (filter included).

The story with the IOLM is that it adjusts based on your driving style, so given it's already warning AND it's the first (I.e. metal in it) it seems like a good idea to change to me.
I'm sure it wouldn't be detecting metal (or detecting anything). I reckon it is just a calculation based on oil temperature, length of trips etc. Maybe it calculates a shorter life during the running-in period - but I'm not banking on it.

Sponsored

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Our Australian delivered Mustangs require 5W-30.

This has been decided by Ford Australia, taking into account of our climatic conditions.

This specification is listed on Page 194 of your Australian Mustang Owners Manual.

I have spoken to Ford Australia Technical Advice on 2 occasions, re the Oil Viscosity for our Australian Mustangs.

On both occasions they advised 5W-30, not 5W-20 as on the Oil Filler Cap.

They also advised a Technical Service Bulletin has been issued to Ford Dealers, advising to use only 5W-30.
Yep, a phone call from Ford Australia also confirmed 5W30 to me as well.

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
I'm sure it wouldn't be detecting metal (or detecting anything). I reckon it is just a calculation based on oil temperature, length of trips etc. Maybe it calculates a shorter life during the running-in period - but I'm not banking on it.
God no! Likely things like oil temp, coolant temp, idle time, engine load, etc.
Magic metrics => boom! Change your oil.

There's not likely to be anything around the actual quality of the oil.

I was just saying that because you _know_ there's likely more contamination during breakin AND the IOLM says based on magic it's time for an oil change, then why not believe it?

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang Fastback Race Red
Our Australian delivered Mustangs require 5W-30.

This has been decided by Ford Australia, taking into account of our climatic conditions.

This specification is listed on Page 194 of your Australian Mustang Owners Manual.

I have spoken to Ford Australia Technical Advice on 2 occasions, re the Oil Viscosity for our Australian Mustangs.

On both occasions they advised 5W-30, not 5W-20 as on the Oil Filler Cap.

They also advised a Technical Service Bulletin has been issued to Ford Dealers, advising to use only 5W-30.

I know, you can go on forever re Oil Brands and Viscosity.

I'm just stating what is in the Owners Manual and what Ford Australia have told me.
Makes me wonder then, what grade of oil is in the sump of our Mustangs when they were delivered to us, direct from the USA :shrug:

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
Well got my oil change from Ford.

Total $400

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Well got my oil change from Ford.

Total $400
They seem to just pull these prices outta their arses.

$325 for mine (including oil filter and complimentary windscreen washer additive).

Sponsored

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They seem to just pull these prices outta their arses.

$325 for mine (including oil filter and complimentary windscreen washer additive).
Yeah I like it where it says oil filter optional WTF

Also they used

magnatecpro 5a 5w30

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool now we getting some info on what oil from 2 different dealers
For Mustang GT
Magnatecpro 5a 5w30,
Havoline FS 5W-30

Anyone else with different oil also we really should start a thread on which oils can be used in the Mustang GT and Ecoboost

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Man the labor costs are unbelievable. ....

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Man the labor costs are unbelievable. ....
You are right about that - especially when they use the apprentices for oil changes!
Sponsored