Sponsored

Aussie Mustang - Oil change warning

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red
Amen to that... maybe we should compile a good mechanics list for noobs like me who has never done an oil change in my life before lol.
How about learn how to do it yourself? Then you won't need to look at any lists. It's not rocket science mate
Sponsored

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Well has anybody got a totally trustworthy mechanic in Sydney metro ? I mean the no bullshit & honest one . Not the one that uses the mustang tax as I have without naming names almost got stung a couple of times . There's a lot of shady pricks out there !!!
Don't have one myself currently since my mate retired. I'll be DIYing as much as I can but I'll need to find one.

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
The trickiest bit is working out how you're going to safely raise the car so you can get underneath it. Once that's done, it is dead simple (one bolt and drop the oil into a big bucket, replace bolt, fill up with more oil (being careful not to overfill), reset the oil life through the menus on the dash, and job done)

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
That's one thing I'll miss with the Pajero (unless I keep it, undecided yet). No need to raise it unless taking a wheel off. Just slide underneath and get to work.

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
The trickiest bit is working out how you're going to safely raise the car so you can get underneath it. Once that's done, it is dead simple (one bolt and drop the oil into a big bucket, replace bolt, fill up with more oil (being careful not to overfill), reset the oil life through the menus on the dash, and job done)
My local mechanic reckons it took them an hour to get it up on the hoist :lol:

Sponsored

Fingers

Can't re Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Various Ford vehicles
After you remove the splash tray.....

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
After you remove the splash tray.....
No need to remove the splash tray just to change the oil (for the filter maybe - but not just an oil change)

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
That's one thing I'll miss with the Pajero (unless I keep it, undecided yet). No need to raise it unless taking a wheel off. Just slide underneath and get to work.
Same with my 1928 Model A !

Fingers

Can't re Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Various Ford vehicles
No need to remove the splash tray just to change the oil (for the filter maybe - but not just an oil change)
I don't see the point of an oil change without a filter change.
The filter is the cheap part of the job for one, and I don't like the idea of putting 5 or so litres of new oil in while there is still nearly a litre of old oil in the filter.
To me it seems worth the extra $10-$15 dollars for a new filter.

whtbt1.88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 fastback
From Ford Facebook

Hi Will, thanks for your message. We are still awaiting information regarding your question and once we have the right answer we will let you know! Thanks for your patience Thanks, FordService^LB

Sponsored

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
From Ford Facebook

Hi Will, thanks for your message. We are still awaiting information regarding your question and once we have the right answer we will let you know! Thanks for your patience �� Thanks, FordService^LB
I also got the same message from them. Good to know they're looking into it. I have always found their responsiveness on FB is excellent.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Will, thanks for your message. We are still awaiting information regarding your question and once we have the right answer we will let you know! Thanks for your patience �� Thanks, FordService^LB
In all honesty, I can't see them saying anything other than to obey whatever messages the IOLM is spitting out (and, if in doubt, to contact your dealer).

To do otherwise would be an admission that the system does not operate as claimed/designed/intended.

My dealer certainly went along that line when asked and recommended an oil change.

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
In all honesty, I can't see them saying anything other than to obey whatever messages the IOLM is spitting out (and, if in doubt, to contact your dealer).

To do otherwise would be an admission that the system does not operate as claimed/designed/intended.

My dealer certainly went along that line when asked and recommended an oil change.
yes, I'm surprised to hear stories that some dealers have simply reset it

Zepboy

5LitresOfDemocracy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Race Manual GT
Well my "Change Oil" notification came on today at 10000km. I called McInerny Ford in Morley to talk to them about it. The guy in servicing said, and I quote, "Mate, just reset the oil life monitor in your menus and we'll change the oil at your 15000km service. No problems".

I was a bit staggered.......
Any thoughts anyone?

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
*shrug* I'm no mechanic and maybe one can chime in, but my understanding is that when an engine is breaking in there are metal fragments that come off the cylinder walls and end up in the oil... so getting rid of the dirty oil early on is a good idea (filter included).

The story with the IOLM is that it adjusts based on your driving style, so given it's already warning AND it's the first (I.e. metal in it) it seems like a good idea to change to me.
Sponsored