spark pluges specs

hooman008

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
v6 2015 convertible
hi all hope you are doing fine

im gonna try to change my spark plugs on a v6 2015 with 36k on it ,

sometimes i feel like it kicks a bit and when i try to accelerate it dosent at first then it goes really fast,,,, that can be sparks right ? but then on idle the rpm is constant , but on the other hand i get less than 200 miles on a tank

also i would like to know what are the torques for it ? on the workshop manual for the :

2011 Mustang covers all 2011-2014 with the 3.7 V6, 5.0 Coyote and 5.4L Supercharged engines

for the v6 says 15 nm that is 133 lb-in

any suggestion regarding the problem that i have and the torque would be appreciated ,
Sponsored

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V-6 051A 6spd,95 Mustang GT Vert
Hi I am a auto tech. 40 years.The spec for most spark plugs are 12-15 ft.lbs. I would torque to 15 ft. lbs. that will be fine. Not that critical never had one come loose and have done many hundreds.

OP
OP

hooman008

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
v6 2015 convertible
Hi I am a auto tech. 40 years.The spec for most spark plugs are 12-15 ft.lbs. I would torque to 15 ft. lbs. that will be fine. Not that critical never had one come loose and have done many hundreds.
please excuse me for stressing on this , but in the manual for the v6 says that 133 in lb isnt that 11 ft lb ? this will be my first time changing the sparks , and got a torque wrench for the job i dont want to damage the engine

Last edited:

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Yes 11 ft lbs will be fine,I usually do 15 just for a little extra. No chance of ruining threads at 15 ft lbs ,I have seen other techs really crank them down with a air gun and they didn't ruin the threads. Like I said not real critical.

Sponsored

OP
OP

hooman008

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
v6 2015 convertible
Yes 11 ft lbs will be fine,I usually do 15 just for a little extra. No chance of ruining threads at 15 ft lbs ,I have seen other techs really crank them down with a air gun and they didn't ruin the threads. Like I said not real critical.
thank you sir , and about the problem , what would u suggest ?

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Not sure about your problem but spark plugs probably won't fix it. I have a 2015 V-6 mustang and I get 325 miles + per tankful. you really need someone to look at it with a scantool and check the data.Good luck.

OP
OP

hooman008

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
v6 2015 convertible
Not sure about your problem but spark plugs probably won't fix it. I have a 2015 V-6 mustang and I get 325 miles + per tankful. you really need someone to look at it with a scantool and check the data.Good luck.
thank you sir , i took it to dealer they said they dont know , so i bought a scan tool and there was a code related to evap , i changed that , but no change in the mpg , the car drives fine but recently like this weak it started to jerk here and there , thats why im thinking about changing the plugs , also long term trims are at -4 both banks , thanks alot for ur replies

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
What is the origin of your car?

Just wondering if the previous owner had applied a non-factory tune...that could explain some of the trouble ;)

OP
OP

hooman008

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
v6 2015 convertible
What is the origin of your car?

Just wondering if the previous owner had applied a non-factory tune...that could explain some of the trouble ;)
i bought it from germany , that was a personal import from america but the thing is when i got it it was doing 26 mpg then after driving it for about 1k mile it went down like this , i was thinking about restarting the pcm , will work like this : removing the negative wire then puting it on the positive side to short out the capacitors , i read that somewhere , just im not sure if this is safe on this car or not , what do you suggest ?

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
i bought it from germany , that was a personal import from america but the thing is when i got it it was doing 26 mpg then after driving it for about 1k mile it went down like this , i was thinking about restarting the pcm , will work like this : removing the negative wire then puting it on the positive side to short out the capacitors , i read that somewhere , just im not sure if this is safe on this car or not , what do you suggest ?
That's perfectly safe, it will reset the PCM's learning mode but likely it isn't the root of your problem. Bad gas mileage can be a lot of things, does the V6 have a MAF sensor?

OP
OP

hooman008

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
v6 2015 convertible
That's perfectly safe, it will reset the PCM's learning mode but likely it isn't the root of your problem. Bad gas mileage can be a lot of things, does the V6 have a MAF sensor?
thanks alot , no it doesnt have a maf , other things that i can mention about this problem of mine is that it doesnt loss any coolant so no leaks inside , it also doesnt loos any oil or burn any , it doesnt loss fuel too , under the car is all dry
Sponsored