CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Indexing the driveshaft to the pinion flange. Does that mean they used a dial indicator to measure the run out of the driveshaft to the center line of the pinion?
Sponsored

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V-6 051A 6spd,95 Mustang GT Vert
No did not use a dial indicator . I just changed the clock position of the drive shaft to the rear pinion flange until it felt good. I think there are 6 different positions.

Reactions: CB
OP
OP

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
O wow. Is there any reason the average Joe can't do that? Do they have to be torqued to spec or something?

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
No i did not torque,there is a spec but itĹ› not critical.I did use blue loctite on the threads. This did not work for every body . I tried 5 different clock positions and it made a huge difference on mine with every change .

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
No i did not torque,there is a spec but itĹ› not critical.I did use blue loctite on the threads. This did not work for every body . I tried 5 different clock positions and it made a huge difference on mine with every change .
Did you see the picture I put a link to a few posts up? Does it seem strange the markings aren't aligned? I'd like to know what you think about that.

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
The original drive shaft had the yellow marks lined up. The 2nd drive shaft vibrated with the yellow marks lined up.My drive shaft now is turned clockwise 3 positions from the yellow marks.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Did you see the picture I put a link to a few posts up? Does it seem strange the markings aren't aligned? I'd like to know what you think about that.
That's as close as the marks can be aligned because there are only 6 positions the driveshaft can be indexed due to the bolt pattern in the pinion flange.

DeepImpact89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2016 Mustang GT
Yes it does - and it's even referenced in the Ford SSM as part of the "experience".
I know this is a very old thread, but couldn't you just put the car in neutral and if it is still vibrating wouldn't that eliminate any potential vibration from the drive shaft and or drivetrain?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I know this is a very old thread, but couldn't you just put the car in neutral and if it is still vibrating wouldn't that eliminate any potential vibration from the drive shaft and or drivetrain?
The drive shaft and differential (and output shaft of the transmission) is still turning when rolling in neutral. Rolling down the road in neutral (engine at an idle) takes out any engine vibration factor.

Steering wheel shake is typically caused by messed up front tires and/or wheels.

DeepImpact89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2016 Mustang GT
The drive shaft and differential (and output shaft of the transmission) is still turning when rolling in neutral. Rolling down the road in neutral (engine at an idle) takes out any engine vibration factor.

Steering wheel shake is typically caused by messed up front tires and/or wheels.
Ok, thanks for the clarification.
Sponsored