Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
If it dosnt cause any damage I will live with it. But For me it doesn't seem normal and I shouldnt have to fix it...I bought a new car to not have problems like this. Why should I have to adjust. I paid more for pp. They should adjust it...never had a car that thudded when put it in gear.
Its an irs issue in the design or was designed in for a reason. What that reason is if thats the case, i could not tell you. Subarus wrx or wrx sti's do this too but only during a launch or wot with fast shifts.. Aftermarket bushings fixed their clunks. The pp's that dont do it seem to be luck of the draw. It has to be a tolerance thing.
Sponsored

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Well I guess we will see if my friend david@steeda can help me get rid of thud. I am also switching out tranny fluid after shifter install.

Last edited:

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CSGT Competition Orange
I thought I'd chime in here. Some light thudding/clunking is normal and not indicative of a problem (per se) nor cheap/crappy parts.

I had a Scion FR-S in the past and, apart from being a totally different car, it had an Aisin transmission and Torsen LSD - very high quality parts on both ends and it still thudded frequently. It's annoying, yes, but really nothing to worry about.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad it's nothing to worry about, but If I was the engineer making the parts I'd find a way to eliminate it from factory because in my opinion it's very annoying and it shouldn't be doing that. It's my first car that has ever done that and I've driven over 150 cars and heavy big rig vehicles. Primarily manual transmission. It just doesn't feel normal to me...should be butter every time.

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
MGW+Steeda tranny insert and SS line+BG tranny fluid=NO THUD. I credit the MGW with the thud elimination

Sponsored

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im going to be installing my steeda tri ax this weekend so we will see if thud goes away.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
MGW+Steeda tranny insert and SS line+BG tranny fluid=NO THUD. I credit the MGW with the thud elimination
Interesting. Did you do all of that at the same time? This is the first I've read of the mgw getting rid of the thud. Though have seen plenty of posts stating the shifter did not get rid of the thud.

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V-6 051A 6spd,95 Mustang GT Vert
Just wanted to share my experience changing the trans fluid to BG syncro shift 2. Made
a difference .... Not night and day but made shifts a little smoother. It made no difference in the thud.

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
Interesting. Did you do all of that at the same time? This is the first I've read of the mgw getting rid of the thud. Though have seen plenty of posts stating the shifter did not get rid of the thud.
The SS line, tranny insert and BG fluid change were done 2 weeks before the shifter was installed. I get no thud in 1st, or any gear for that matter

Sponsored

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
One piece drive shaft got rid of the thud for me.
My experience is limited to jeeps and how they thud. My experience is that its the joints in the drive shaft.

I have the thudding as well. 1-2-3 when shifting under normal loads and into 6th.

Like a charm almost always does it.

To me it does sound like the u-joints have a tiny amount of slop and clunk, or thud, when changing engine speeds between gears at low gears (1,2,3) or big rpm range changes (like the overdrive 6th gear).

I plan on putting the car on ramps this weekend to see if there is any noticeable slop.

No matter what anyone says, I dont consider this normal behavior. If it was, every car would have it. Seems like a tolerance issue in assembly or parts used.

For a bone stock car, I would think that this fault still falls within acceptable limits.

NOW... what about a FI, or heavily modified car? Do we know for sure? I dont think so... and I'd rather have a perfectly smooth drive train before i Install a supercharger that may take this fault beyond operational limits.

Regardless, I'll most likely be dropping my car at the dealer for inspection and resolution.

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
One piece drive shaft got rid of the thud for me.
How severe was the thud before? Seems we have different levels of thudding.

I've been thinking that the one piece DS would possibly fix the problems.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
How severe was the thud before? Seems we have different levels of thudding.

I've been thinking that the one piece DS would possibly fix the problems.
Hard to say, depends on the person. My fiance would always ask what was that when it happened, but it never bothered me. Now that it's gone tho it's nice not having it anymore.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the bg synchro tranny oil? Where do I get?