1993 Coyote Coupe

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Corral

Hey I noticed you are on Team Shelby forum also. I’ve been there since 2007 as mach 1 1970 :cheers:
Don’t forget the Porsche team went to mid-engine lay out on their GTLM 911. They also won yesterday at Sebring.
I don’t think the Ford GT will be IMSA much longer IMO. That’s the rumor mill
The bop in IMSA keeps the GTLM class really tight from race to race. However the Corvette could use some help until the C8 gets here. I will say the corvette has a Hugh fan base @ these races. Much larger then the Ford Mustang. Just look at the corals. Porsche and corvette dominate at Daytona this year. I think it was the first time there was even a mustang/ Shelby coral.
I was one of about 6 cars in the Daytona 24 Mustang corral. One of the cars there was a Grabber Blue GT. It was fun running Friday night laps with Ford Performance on the full 3.5 mile track. Yes, the Chevy and Porsche corrals were magnitudes larger. I think that had to do with a combination of costs to be in the corral plus Daytona type racing is more of a Corvette/Porsche thing.
Small world... Guy that came to do some electrical work on my house saw my Shelby in the garage, and asked me if that was the ruby GT350 he saw on track Friday night! :headbang:
I was told they did corrals at Daytona in prior years.

Sponsored

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
Anything over 4000# will be sad.
-J
Be prepared to be really sad.

With almost 800HP and similar design I see this thing stomping a mudhole in the ZL1's A$$ and stepping into the new Corvette's performance range on the track.
If it gets close to the Z06 performance I’ll be amazed. Forget the ZR1 and anything closer to the 800HP mark.

I am willing to bet the GT500 weighs no more than 3800 pounds. I think the Ford engineers have been around race cars long enough to know weight is the enemy of high performance cars.
I take your bet. How much are talking about? $$$

Won't be a manual GT500 to compair it to, only DCT, that's the rumor.

Another rumor is, don't expect it to surpass 750hp, and will be over 4000 lbs for the Non R model.
You sir, I bet you know something :lol:

Yo say that is “based on rumors” but I think you already got a “trustable” inside info.

Don’t expect it to weight less than 4100 for the Non-R Model. HP? It will be closer to the Hellcat DragPak numbers.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Don’t expect it to weight less than 4100 for the Non-R Model. HP? It will be closer to the Hellcat DragPak numbers.
You mean the Hellcat DRAG PACK? Because the “DragPak” it’s a different Challenger, the “not road legal-only for dragstirp” one.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, a little over 4000 wouldn't surprise me. The ZL1 weighs in at about 3950, and the GT is about 100lbs or so heavier than an SS. I just REALLY hope the R model is sub-4000, as the ZL1 1LE weighs in at about 3850.

Also, no manual option would be SUPER disappointing. I'd hope that Ford knows their customers a bit better than that

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Usable powerband & good grip on the tarmac....
^^

The GT500 will have enough torque to rip 1st threw 3rd. So, total peak horsepower and whatnots specs don't mean much. Is it usable..?

Or phun..?

Sponsored

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
I just REALLY hope the R model is sub-4000, as the ZL1 1LE weighs in at about 3850.

Also, no manual option would be SUPER disappointing. I'd hope that Ford knows their customers a bit better than that
Less than 4000lb for the R? Nah... :lol: even if it was a manual, i don’t think sub 4000 would be likely.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Really? That's just crazy that they wouldn't do any additional weight savings other than what they did for the GT350 and would find a way to add 350+ lbs FOR THE HARDCORE TRACK VERSION of the car. If ford really couldn't find a way to keep it under 4000lbs, they missed the mark. Hell, I'd rather it have 100 less hp if it meant shaving off a couple hundred pounds

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Really? That's just crazy that they wouldn't do any additional weight savings other than what they did for the GT350 and would find a way to add 350+ lbs FOR THE HARDCORE TRACK VERSION of the car. If ford really couldn't find a way to keep it under 4000lbs, they missed the mark. Hell, I'd rather it have 100 less hp if it meant shaving off a couple hundred pounds
the great thing about the 500 is they have overhead to work with for weight savings. I suspect it will be sub 4000 ... unless AWD was approved.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
That would be nice, but it seems the people with reliable information are all saying that there's no chance it'll be sub-4000, so that destroys my hope a little bit.

I just find it crazy that Ford has been working on their carbon-composite front subframe since the 2000s and even put a production-spec prototype on a fusion 5+ years ago, but won't develop one for their "pinnacle of the S550 chassis". That would so effective not only in terms of weight savings, but weight distribution and to offset the weight of the supercharger and coolers. But hey, guess they gotta fit into a budget, right?

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would like to know why the Mustangs and Camaros are so heavy. Does glass,sound deadening,safety features and seats add a lot of weight ? I used a 1966 big Ford frame and shortened it to 108 inch wheelbase and hung a 1970 Mustang body shell on it to make a dirt track Sporstman car.I welded the 1970 Mustang floor to the frame and put one of the Mustang seats in it. l built an elaborate roll cage out of black pipe with a wall thickness of one quarter inch. I installed a 351 Cleveland engine with a heavy one inch thick bell housing behind it. I put some really beefy and heavy Franklind spindles and brake rotors on the front and attached all steel wheels. I put bars behind the bumpers and added 160 pounds rear ballast. The race car weighed 3200 pounds race ready. I realized I built the car too heavy, but compared to a GT500 it would be really light. By the way, I built the car 30 years ago.
Sponsored