Sponsored

More on the "Tire Repair Kit" in your trunk

• Thread starter Deleted member 33561
  • Start date
  • Watchers 20

Deleted member 33561

Maybe you should connect your kit to a tire and see if it will work?
It's my first Mustang since 2013 so I don't know how many cars are affected by this problem. Yesterday I tried to use the repair kit to raise the PSI in my tire. When connecting the kit to the tire, it starts leaking as soon as the valve stem is being pressed down ( I know, that's normal). Continuing to tighten the connection in hopes it will "seal the connection" doesn't help. It keeps leaking air out of the tire after it's all the way tight.
Now the bad news! The dealer gave me a new kit this morning and it does the same thing. So I'm waiting for the dealer to figure out what to do next Monday as the Service Foreman was not working on Saturday.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 33561

Seriously? Not one person is concerned enough to try this and post a comment? Waiting until you have a flat is not a good idea. By the way if you do try this don't do like the mechanic at the dealership did and turn the switch to "Repair" which spews the sealant all over the place.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I won't leave you hanging...I can try it today sometime.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33561

Just make sure you have a source of air to pump your tire back up if it happens to work like the two I tested. :)

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I do...

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Hold the air hose fixture onto the tire while inflating. Just tested this morning on my '17 -works fine. I keep the tire repair kit in a storage container in the truck, as I bought a OEM spare tire / jack and bolted it in place in the spare tire well.

There are several threads here that talk about the compressor not working with PP or some other OEM Wheels.

I already have a smaller footprint air pump that works directly off the car battery (I use it to inflate tires at the track after letting air out) and it works a lot better than the Ford piece and it was cheap.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Just tested it...you have to keep spinning the end part until the leaking stops, it's kind of hard to do. I then ran the compressor to get back the lost air but of course more came out during the removal unspinning. So if you over inflate by several pounds you should be okay. It was nice that the gage lit up, just in case you need it at night. What's not nice is the plastic end part could get cross threaded easily.
When I got my car I insisted on the spare kit only to realize later the tire is undersized. I would not use the spare on the rear for more than a mile personally. A larger spare tire would fix that issue.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33561

Three different people tried to "spin" it on tight enough to stop the leaking. The last "mechanic" then decided to turn on the sealant to see what happens. Sealant all over the tire/wheel. It was not just coming out of the business end but at the back of the connector that you spin. It simply would not seal the connection.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I once used the factory air compressor on my PP car when my tire had a slow leak, which led to a tire being a few lbs low away from home. Worked. 5 minutes and back on the road. If the factory one bothers you, cheap ones are available everywhere.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33561

I once used the factory air compressor on my PP car when my tire had a slow leak, which led to a tire being a few lbs low away from home. Worked. 5 minutes and back on the road. If the factory one bothers you, cheap ones are available everywhere.
Well yeah it bothers me that the factory one does not work. I'm not interested in getting stranded on a dark road in the middle of the night. Roadside assistance does not cover a flat tire if you only have the repair kit. There are many places in the U.S. where there is not just no service/repair shop, there are places where you can go well over 50 miles where there is not even an exit ramp on the interstate. What about places with no cell phone service? I have used the kit in my Challenger Scatpack and also my Dodge Dart. My Hyundai also has a working kit. Since I don't have a spare I have a right to expect the furnished kit to work. I got on here simply to warn other people that they should check to see if it will actually inflate the tire before they have a flat. If this problem is widespread then Ford should fix the problem.

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I'll bet the fitting has been cross threaded and your dopey mechanic didn't help much either...

OP
OP

Deleted member 33561

If you read from the beginning you will have a better understanding of the problem since already 2 kits have the same problem.
Took it to the dealer today and the shop foreman connected the kit up to a valve-stem he held in his hand and showed me it worked normal. I told him I want to see it work on my car. He looked at me like I'm an idiot and reluctantly took it to my car and tried to make it work on my tires (3 of them) without any luck. So his final solution is to replace all 4 valve-stems when they get them in.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
I have a long commute to work. I bought the spare tire kit. Still has air in it. :-)

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Wow, OP, that is odd. I hope things work our for you.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If they have given you 2 or 3 kits and there is still an issue:

1) are they trying it on a different valve stem, or same one each item?
2) if the same valve stem, has anyone bothered to check the valve stem threads to see if the threads are the issue at the wheel?

If you’re still not happy with the tire inflator kit or it’s performance - I’d call the Ford 800 Customer Service line and make your complaint known with them and see what they would be willing to do to make you whole. The Dealership isn’t going to be of much more help, especially after they have already given you 2 kits.
Sponsored