Sponsored

Help removing R splitter

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
So, I did a really good job installing an R splitter on my car.... but now I can't get the "click tabs" to release so that I can remove it.

I've pulled all the screws and the four white 1/2 circle tabs (and accounted for all the hardware on the inventory list) and the only thing holding it on are the "click tabs" along the leading edge.

I can see the farthest outboard tab on each side, but none of the others.

Any tips or tricks to getting those to let go without ripping the whole front fascia off the car and/or breaking the slots?
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So, I did a really good job installing an R splitter on my car.... but now I can't get the "click tabs" to release so that I can remove it.

I've pulled all the screws and the four white 1/2 circle tabs (and accounted for all the hardware on the inventory list) and the only thing holding it on are the "click tabs" along the leading edge.

I can see the farthest outboard tab on each side, but none of the others.

Any tips or tricks to getting those to let go without ripping the whole front fascia off the car and/or breaking the slots?
Are you referring to the moon clips?

picture.jpg

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope - got the moon clips out.

It's the tabs that you use the shop towel and rubber mallet to seat and "click" into place when installing that I now can't get to release.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Nope - got the moon clips out.

It's the tabs that you use the shop towel and rubber mallet to seat and "click" into place when installing that I now can't get to release.
Oh, I would imagine that you would have to get some leverage and use a shop towel and a mallet. Go easy

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
one of the other forums had some instructions. I texted you a screen shot

Sponsored

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks - and thanks, too, for the pic of your spare splitter that you texted me. Those things combined should give me a better chance with it, but decided to set it aside and knock off for this evening. Will take another run at it tomorrow night, so any other opinions are welcome.

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
As I have never seen one my question is, are they(click tabs) an intregal part of the splitter?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
He's talking about the male tabs on the splitter that insert into the female tabs on the bumper assembly

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found this pic online that I think may help. I noticed that on my splitter, there are six notches on the front right up near the painted part of the bumper cover. Well, those correspond to the tabs as seen in this pic. I think if I use a soft tool - like a plastic trim pry - I should be able to apply just enough pressure to unlock the tabs.

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Tom - you beat me to it. Your pic and the one I found show the tabs and the indents that are visible from the outside. With this, I should be able to very gently release the locking lip on the tabs from the slots and get this off without any wear and tear on the car (i.e., damage to the slots).

Sponsored

cj428

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R TT
Just grab one side and yank hard as you can.

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My mechanical sympathy was kicking in before the splitter would come off by just using the "yank hard" method. So, using Tom's pic and the one I found on-line, I decided that by putting some form of wedge in where the locking tabs are located, I should be able to take a little pressure off of those and allow the splitter to pop loose with less effort.

I had a box of very soft plastic body filler spreaders laying around, so I cut a couple into strips thin enough to fit into the visible slot at the front of the splitter, then after turning up the heat in the shop to make sure the bumper cover and splitter were warm enough to withstand the force, I gave it a slight tug.

Sure enough, it popped loose with very little effort. Here's a pic of it with the wedges in place before I pulled it off.

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)