Velossa Tech Design - BIG MOUTH development

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
Cool stuff and nice intro post, look forward to see what you come up with.

I believe there is a company doing brake cooling ducts if you plan to get into that segment, more competition never hurts us customers though :)
Sponsored

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
Looks very similar inlet ideology to a mugen design for s2000... quite successful I might add.

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
How big is the opening in the front? It looks small?
As people are already doing you will at least need to drill out the remaining honeycomb in that part of the grill. A lot of the aftermarket grills would likely compliment this really well being almost entirely mesh.

JoeySperz

@ShadowCoyote
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT
As people are already doing you will at least need to drill out the remaining honeycomb in that part of the grill. A lot of the aftermarket grills would likely compliment this really well being almost entirely mesh.
How big is that opening though? Big enough to get enough air to make a difference?

Sponsored

OP
OP
VelossaTech

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
How big is that opening though? Big enough to get enough air to make a difference?
Plenty big to make a difference. Assume you are flowing 60 lbm/min of air (this is a lot of air somewhere around 650 whp or so worth of air).

The frontal opening area of the triangular kidney segment of the grill is about 10 in^2, roughly.
Assuming the air density is about 0.074 lbm/ft3.
Using just Rho = mdot/(A*V)

The velocity of air going through just that opening with the mass flow of 60 lbm/min is only about 194 ft/s. If you are going say 60 mph, you'll start to see big differences in mass airflow. At 60 mph the engine will essentially be doing only 194 - 60 mph = 134 mph worth of work, this is a crude way to look at the physics problem since it is an oversimplified explanation. but it will give you a ballpark idea of how important this type of ram system is on a moving vehicle.

the faster you go the less work the engine has to do to pull in air vs having no frontal inlet exposure, as it is getting kinetic energy assist from the motion of the car.

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
I don't always understand the math, but I like the math. Math and science are good.

D3adch1ld

Blabber Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premum w/ Performance Pack
Plenty big to make a difference. Assume you are flowing 60 lbm/min of air (this is a lot of air somewhere around 650 whp or so worth of air).

The frontal opening area of the triangular kidney segment of the grill is about 10 in^2, roughly.
Assuming the air density is about 0.074 lbm/ft3.
Using just Rho = mdot/(A*V)

The velocity of air going through just that opening with the mass flow of 60 lbm/min is only about 194 ft/s. If you are going say 60 mph, you'll start to see big differences in mass airflow. At 60 mph the engine will essentially be doing only 194 - 60 mph = 134 mph worth of work, this is a crude way to look at the physics problem since it is an oversimplified explanation. but it will give you a ballpark idea of how important this type of ram system is on a moving vehicle.

the faster you go the less work the engine has to do to pull in air vs having no frontal inlet exposure, as it is getting kinetic energy assist from the motion of the car.
This logic assumes it's a closed box. Most CAI with open element will not really benefit of this.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
VelossaTech

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
This logic assumes it's a closed box. Most CAI with open element will not really benefit of this.

Current design is going to work with the stock airbox which is closed from what I found.

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Stock air box is better than all the other CAIs anyway

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Subbed

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Love this development thread, I'm kind of a sucker for actually seeing design and engineering processes.

Where are you located in Florida?

OP
OP
VelossaTech

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Love this development thread, I'm kind of a sucker for actually seeing design and engineering processes.

Where are you located in Florida?
Right off 95. On stirling road.

Come visit some time, I think you will have a mind = blown moment when you see what we can do.

:cheers:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.