Sponsored

Ford Axing all cars except Mustang and Focus Active Crossover in North America

chaoscentral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Anyone see this yet?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...25/ford-cutting-car-lineup-earnings/34244867/

Only Mustang, Focus crossover to survive Ford car cuts

Dearborn — Ford Motor Co. plans to trim $25.5 billion in operating costs by 2022 and cut its North American passenger car lineup by more than 80 percent, eliminating the Taurus, Fiesta, Fusion, C-Max and Focus sedans within a few years.

CEO Jim Hackett said Wednesday that Ford will not make the next generation of those sedans, confirming months of reports that the automaker was considering cutting some of its unprofitable car models in favor of trucks and SUVs. The Mustang will be soon be Ford’s only car; the new Focus will launch next year in North America as the Chinese-built Focus Active crossover.

That’s a deeper cut to the car lineup than industry analysts expected. That move, coupled with the reduction in operating costs and a plan to reduce capital spending from 2019 to 2022 by $5 billion announced Wednesday, come from the “fitness” initiative Hackett outlined in October.

“We’re going to feed the healthy parts of our business and deal decisively with the areas that destroy value,” Hackett said. “It’s been easy to identify what’s wrong and what we need to do about it. The hand-wringing maybe that has been around in our business is gone. We’re starting to understand what we need to do and making clear decisions there.”

Ford reported Wednesday it made $1.7 billion in the first quarter of 2018. That’s 9 percent more than the same period a year ago, but Shanks said the work under Hackett will start to show results next year.

Revenue increased 7 percent to $42 billion compared to a year ago, the company reported. Its earnings before interest and taxes margin slipped 1.2 percentage points to 5.2 percent. Bob Shanks, Ford chief financial officer, said Wednesday the company would hit an 8 percent margin by 2020 as a result of reduced spending and cost efficiencies. Ford announced in October it would trim $14 billion in operating costs by 2022.

“Everything is on the table,” Shanks said. “We can exit products (and) markets. We will do that. That work (started in October) has really gained traction. We have looked at every single part of the business. It’s a very complex endeavor. We are determined to turn this business around right throughout the whole company. There’s more work that’s underway.”

The company found an additional $11.5 billion to those cuts, Shanks said, emphasizing there could be more. The largest portion of that reduction will come from Ford’s marketing and sales departments, the company said, which includes incentive spending.

While Ford will shrink its car lineup, it also plans to add five all-new SUVs over the next two years, along with the 2019 Ranger midsize pickup that debuted at the Detroit auto show in January. The company plans for nearly 90 percent of its vehicles sold in 2020 to be a truck, SUV or commercial vehicle.

The company has said every new Ford or Lincoln vehicle introduced over the next two years will have either a hybrid or plug-in hybrid engine option, which should buffer against rising gas prices as the vehicles get bigger, according to Hackett and Jim Farley, Ford president of global markets.

Ford said it is exploring new “white space” vehicle silhouettes that combine attributes from cars and utility vehicles. The Detroit News reported in January when the automaker moved to cancel the North American redesign of the Fusion sedan that the company could use that nameplate on a new or different vehicle architecture.

Despite dwindling sales for most of Ford’s car lineup, the move to ax sedans surprised the analyst community.

“Ford is dumping five model lines in less than two years, which has to be a record for nameplate death in the auto industry,” Karl Brauer, analyst with Cox Automotive, said Wednesday. “Given where the American — and even the global — consumer have gone over the past five years, it makes sense.

“Modern technology has removed nearly every advantage a car has over an SUV. With the exception of extreme performance or fuel efficiency, there really is no downside to owning a utility vehicle, and there are many advantages in terms of functionality, flexibility and safety. And I can guarantee, these are far from the last car lines we’ll see slashed over the next two years.”

The automaker is pushing to focus on high-margin parts of the business, improving profitability in segments that are profitable but don’t currently make a lot of money – and either cutting or changing the pieces of the company deemed “low performing.”

Shanks did not detail which parts of Ford fall into which segments. But the automaker made clear that sedans can’t be a part of its future.

“Ford realized it can’t be everything to everyone, and in today’s market that could be OK,” said Jessica Caldwell, analyst with Edmunds. “The key to success is focusing on where your customers are and where your strengths lie, and for Ford doubling down on trucks and SUVs could be just what the brand needs. But this move isn’t without risk: Ford is willingly alienating its car owners and conceding market share in segments that, while declining, are still relevant to some buyers.”

The first quarter of 2018 brought earnings of 43 cents per share, the company reported. Ford’s automotive segment reported earnings before interest and taxes of $1.7 billion. The North American segment reported earnings before interest and taxes of $1.9 billion, a 7.8 percent margin. Ford made $119 million from its European business, and lost money in South America, Middle East and Africa and Asia Pacific. The company also lost $102 million on its mobility segment.

Investors reacted positively to the news in after-hours trading Wednesday. Shares of Ford were up 2.6 percent to $11.40.

Ford is the first U.S. automaker to report first-quarter earnings. General Motors Co and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV will report results Thursday morning. Ford’s results follow what executives characterized as disappointing 2017 full-year results. The company earned $7.6 billion last year, including a $7.3-billion pre-tax profit on $145.7 billion in revenue from the company’s automotive segment.

Around the time Ford reported the full-year results, the company changed its guidance for 2018 due to expected rising commodities costs and an increase in spending on mobility service.

Shanks said then that if Ford had been more fit, it would have been able to absorb those hits and grow its 2018 profit. Ford expects adjusted earnings per share to fall between $1.45-$1.70 for 2018. That’s lower than the $1.78 earnings per share posted for 2017. The company updated its revenue and operating cash flow targets to be better than 2017.
Sponsored

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Wow. I don't follow much automotive news but this seems surprising. To me anyway

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
And the Mustang lives on. Now all eyes will be on Chevrolet to see if Camaro lives or dies. I hope it lives, always good to have competition.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Foolish. Very short-term thinking.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
i like suv's due to pot holes, visiblity, and ride comfort but they get worse mpg due to aero. I wonder how ford plans to keep their fleet emissions for the future since they axed the most efficient of their fleet. I think its foolish to axe the fusion, fiesta sure, but fusion is the generic sedan competitor to the camry and accord which as far as I can see, is doing great. The accord and camry has a GREAT new gen out.

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Gas guys are getting old. Hybrid F150 and Mustang coming out in two years. They will sell a ton. Not short sighted at all. If your 50 or older, you are not the future of the market. The times they are a changin'.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2

RenegadeRedneck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
This makes sense with electrification and autonomous vehicles being the future. Van and crossover body styles will rule the roads.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Gas guys are getting old. Hybrid F150 and Mustang coming out in two years. They will sell a ton. Not short sighted at all. If your 50 or older, you are not the future of the market. The times they are a changin'.
Old? I'm just 35.

I will never buy an SUV or any non v8 mustang. I'd rather get an EB Mustang than a hybrid or electric (no offence EB drivers)

Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
This makes sense with electrification and autonomous vehicles being the future. Van and crossover body styles will rule the roads.
I spend all day with computers in IT and you just pained a very depressing future to me.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of driving a car myself with a manual, and the idea of everything being silent, automated and little or 0 information from me is VERY depressing to me. Not even in a sarcastic way. I see the future as VERY depressing, bright and shiny place.

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Nothing new here. Volvo bailed on IC engines already...

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Foolish. Very short-term thinking.
Indeed. People seem to forget exactly what national $4/gallon of gasoline did for truck and SUV sales.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I had been in the market for an X5 before I got this car, I know a very different vehicle. But I've seen the death of cars and driving on the way. I decided to have a little fun first.

It might also help these cars keep some of their value in 10 years time.

I don't think the Camry, BMW 3/5/7 series, Sonata, Audi A4/A6, Jetta/Golf and Mercedes C/E/S-Class cars are going away for a while. Those account for the vast majority of sedans I see on the roads around here.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Haha I was just coming on here to post this.
Sponsored