1st oil change

Rasn1320

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jer
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT premium 5.0 black accent pack, 3.55 gears
Ive looked in owners manual and it doesnt say when to perform the 1st oil change, when should I? what have you all been changing the 1st oil change? im at 2000 miles and wondered if its to early?
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
5k miles, 6 months, or when the OLM says it's time. In regular duty after that, it's every 10k miles, 12 months, or when the OLM says it's time.

Then you'll have guys change the oil 3 times in the first 1k miles. Those guys are crazy and hate money.

OP
OP
Rasn1320

Rasn1320

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jer
Vehicle(s)
5k miles, 6 months, or when the OLM says it's time. In regular duty after that, it's every 10k miles, 12 months, or when the OLM says it's time.

Then you'll have guys change the oil 3 times in the first 1k miles. Those guys are crazy and hate money.
Mine was sitting on the lot since aug 17, i bought it in feb 18. so im past the 6 months,but only 2000 miles,should i wait a little or get er done now? lol

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I'd go ahead and change it. Then follow the 10k/12mo/OLM recommendation. These cars are very low maintenance in stock form.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Its really up to you. I changed mine around 3K. Honestly, if I could do it again, I would wait until 5K at least. The oil from the factory is decent and lasts a while unless you are pushing your car all the time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rasn1320

Rasn1320

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jer
Vehicle(s)
Its really up to you. I changed mine around 3K. Honestly, if I could do it again, I would wait until 5K at least. The oil from the factory is decent and lasts a while unless you are pushing your car all the time.
i dont run it that hard,an occasional 1st and 2nd gear floor it,nut not alot. I checked oil its not using any and it still looks pretty clean.

HaleFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
This is one of those questions that if you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers. I change mine at ~1000 mi and every 5k-6k thereafter. Changing it at 1000 mi is probably overkill but it does get out the wear-in materials. I think a more reasonable method is to change the oil according to a severe service schedule the first time, so probably ~3000 miles.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
My car had been sitting for 10 months when I bought it, so I had them change it when I purchased, and then I did at 6 months at around 5K. Now, I'll go to a more "normal" rotation mostly following the OLM, or a little before.

STangfan44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Threads like this are why I love this forum. I'm always learning things.

I just bought my 17 a few weeks ago, but looks like the dealer had that car on the lot since sometime in November or December of 2016 and only had about 35 miles on it when I bought it. I would never have thought to change the oil so early, but if the standard is 12 months, then It's overdue based on that, even if the car only does have a few hundred miles on it, I guess.

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Threads like this are why I love this forum. I'm always learning things.

I just bought my 17 a few weeks ago, but looks like the dealer had that car on the lot since sometime in November or December of 2016 and only had about 35 miles on it when I bought it. I would never have thought to change the oil so early, but if the standard is 12 months, then It's overdue based on that, even if the car only does have a few hundred miles on it, I guess.
A year is long time for oil to be sitting outside of an unsealed container and will eventually take a little water from the air and emulsify. I'm not an oil engineer and only take what I've read from others, but I would go ahead and change the oil now, regardless of mileage.

STangfan44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
A year is long time for oil to be sitting outside of an unsealed container and will eventually take a little water from the air and emulsify. I'm not an oil engineer and only take what I've read from others, but I would go ahead and change the oil now, regardless of mileage.
I talked to the dealer yesterday and asked if they'd done anything to my car as far as oil changes go because it had been on lot so long, and a guy that looked on the service computer said oil was changed when I bought it. I'm not a trusting person though. They didn't have the car for all that long, maybe 45 minutes or so and I can't imagine they just magically had someone free to do an oil change or a free bay. On the other hand, it was raining, so I doubt they detailed it. Their computer said it was prepped for delivery the day I bought, whatever that means.

And of course, I got two different answers. One of the dealer guys said leave the manufacturer's oil in there til 3 thousand, but as I said, another person says they changed it as part of prep after I bought it.

I get paranoid, so I'll probably do it at about 1000, I guess. Won't have time to get it done before then.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
If you register for the MyCarFax app you will be able to see any dealer servicing that was done. You can also enter your own services if you DIY.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I recall there used to be cautions on not changing factory oil too early or leaving it in too long. For this car the book only mentions going by the oil life monitor or roughly 10K miles/1 year.

What are the reasons for deviating from the manufacturer's recommendations in this case?

The book also mentions to change the oil before/after track events.

OP
OP
Rasn1320

Rasn1320

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jer
Vehicle(s)
I recall there used to be cautions on not changing factory oil too early or leaving it in too long. For this car the book only mentions going by the oil life monitor or roughly 10K miles/1 year.

What are the reasons for deviating from the manufacturer's recommendations in this case?

The book also mentions to change the oil before/after track events.
Im at 83% left with 2200 miles, oil has been in it since at least july
Sponsored