handle looking thing on EBM intake

SqueakA1C1788

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
So i currently have a 2018 EB mustang 6spd. i have the air raid intake tube with filter and Tune+ spark plugs. i use this car at local drift events and it does great. car has less than 3,400 miles. my question is, what is that handle looking thing on the factory intake between the grill and the air box? can i just remove it? what is it even called. I've tried doing searches here and google. even called American muscle and don't really have any answers....
Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Its a type of resonator, I believe "Hemholtz resonator" is the technical term though I have heard it called other things.

My understanding is that its primarily there for sound tuning reasons. Though I'm sure some people will say otherwise.

You should be fine to remove it I would think, but there isnt much reason to unless you need room for something or are worried about the 1lb it adds

OP
OP

SqueakA1C1788

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Thank you for that information. Not worried about any potential weight savings hahaha. mainly just looking to get rid of it because it just looks ridiculous. Just not sure how to remove it honestly.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for that information. Not worried about any potential weight savings hahaha. mainly just looking to get rid of it because it just looks ridiculous. Just not sure how to remove it honestly.
I am pulling this only from memory, but I think you basically have to cut it out and plug the hole. If you search around I believe there have been a few posts on M6G from people who have done this.

I can't say for sure, but I would assume the other option is to get a replacement intake runner.

Personally I have embraced the ridiculousness of it. I've had several people at car meets ask to see the EB engine (guessing since I dont usually pop my hood and the EB enthusiast crowd is....lacking around me) and a couple asked about it since it kind stands out so much haha. I have had one person point it out and know exactly what it was off the bat. I thought it would be kind of funny if I ran some sort of BS airline to it but and hid where the airline came from (nowhere) and started telling people it was my NO2 system or something :lol:

OP
OP

SqueakA1C1788

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
hahahahaha that's actually kind of fantastic. Yea i completely understand, i never pop my hood. i honestly don't even go to car meets with it. My BC Racing coilovers are on their way and so are my tinted light films. The only "meet" that i go to are our local Club Loose Texas drift events. Maybe once i get some better fitting wheels and my suspension done i may start going to meets but right now i don't. too stock.

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hahahahaha that's actually kind of fantastic. Yea i completely understand, i never pop my hood. i honestly don't even go to car meets with it. My BC Racing coilovers are on their way and so are my tinted light films. The only "meet" that i go to are our local Club Loose Texas drift events. Maybe once i get some better fitting wheels and my suspension done i may start going to meets but right now i don't. too stock.
Understandable, mostly I go to Cars and Coffee. I like looking at other cars for inspiration more-so than showing off my own, hence never popping the hood haha. I would rather be going to track events around here then meets but unfortunately haven't quite figured out how to break into that crowd.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Its a type of resonator, I believe "Hemholtz resonator" is the technical term though I have heard it called other things.

My understanding is that its primarily there for sound tuning reasons. Though I'm sure some people will say otherwise.
And you would be right! It's not for tuning the sound your intake makes, it's for damping the pulse waves generated when a moving column of intake air is suddenly obstructed by an intake valve slamming shut. I would assume the factory engineers did a bit of testing before determining engine performance would benefit by the addition of an intake resonator.

Here's more:

https://itstillruns.com/air-intake-resonator-do-12156112.html

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
OP
OP

SqueakA1C1788

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
that's why i joined this forum, aside from getting an answer to the intake hurst shift knob LOL. I'm just trying to get ideas on wheels. I really need to get my mufflers deleted since removing that briefcase sized mid muffler did nothing for sound "kinda nice to be able to hear if your car turned back on".

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

And you would be right! It's not for tuning the sound your intake makes, it's for damping the pulse waves generated when a moving column of intake air is suddenly obstructed by an intake valve slamming shut. I would assume the factory engineers did a bit of testing before determining engine performance would benefit by the addition of an intake resonator.

Here's more:

https://itstillruns.com/air-intake-resonator-do-12156112.html

Edited for spelling.
Hmm interesting, I'm curious what the actually performance gains are quantitatively. Since it's so close to the start of the intake and upstream of the turbo I would have never suspected that the performance gains were great enough for Ford to spend the extra 5cents a car on it.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that's why i joined this forum, aside from getting an answer to the intake hurst shift knob LOL. I'm just trying to get ideas on wheels. I really need to get my mufflers deleted since removing that briefcase sized mid muffler did nothing for sound "kinda nice to be able to hear if your car turned back on".
I threw a magnaflow 1in2out in place of the brief case and removed the duel mufflers after that..I've been curious how some flowmasters or cherry bomb would sound back there haha.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I just cut that proboscis off with a dremel and glued a wheel centercap over the hole.
Perfect fit.

27859416239_64a9a209b4_k.jpg
20180111_154319 by chefjpd, on Flickr

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Dam Chef, looking good under there!
I don't think he drives it . Just puts new parts on it and posts pics .
I do like the pony as a plug for the hole he dremeled though .
Sponsored