Sponsored

2018 vs 2015-2017 GT (Non-PP)

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I have a 2018 GT, brother has a 16. Both are non-PP with 3.55 gears. After driving each other's cars, we have noticed the following:

1) 2018 has reduced throttle response

2) 2018 has longer (taller) gears, his gets to the power band (above 4k) quicker

Can someone who has driven both confirm? Cause he thinks something is wrong with my car and told me to check another one on the lot. Although his revs quicker, I think mine is actually moving faster and this is attributed to the gear ratio changes or something. What I do not understand is why my throttle response feels laggy, maybe Ford detuned it or something?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The 18 MT82 does have longer gears. I haven't driven an 18 yet so I cannot comment on the throttle response.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
There's definitely a lag in the throttle at lower RPMs, haven't noticed anything in high rpm though. Your car should be faster though.

OP
OP

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
The 18 MT82 does have longer gears. I haven't driven an 18 yet so I cannot comment on the throttle response.
Would longer gears explain throttle response as well? Or are they two different things?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Would longer gears explain throttle response as well? Or are they two different things?
Definitely two different things. Response and acceleration are quite different things, although people seem to confuse them often (which is why they buy things like pedalmax).

Sponsored

OP
OP

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
There's definitely a lag in the throttle at lower RPMs, haven't noticed anything in high rpm though. Your car should be faster though.
Ye I think despite his feeling quicker, mines is faster. I assume if we did a roll, his would gain a bit on me before mines eventually passed him. I feel like although his RPM moves quicker, my speedometer is moving quicker.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ye I think despite his feeling quicker, mines is faster. I assume if we did a roll, his would gain a bit on me before mines eventually passed him. I feel like although his RPM moves quicker, my speedometer is moving quicker.
Similar to when I drive a 3.73 car vs mine. It feels quicker but really isn't.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What mods has your brother done?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I have a friend with an 18 as well and when I drove his car, I noticed my 16 felt quicker, but I also have the power pack 2 and FP exaust.

One thing for sure, the 16 looks better. That front with the melted cheeks just looks weird.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Sorry. Still a really nice car!

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I can assure you, from a dig or a roll he will not pull on you. If he does, there is something wrong with that 18 or, bad driver mod. Every race I have seen at the drag strip shows similar short times and the 18 putting distance on the earlier S550's the whole way down the track unless of course the 18 has the bad driver mod, nothing is worse than the bad driver mod.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Reduced throttle is probably related to stringing out more MPG. I'm sure a tune will remove the lag. Me personally don't understand that but I don't have a manual. In sport mode/track sometimes I feel like the throttle is TOO sensitive.

OP
OP

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
What mods has your brother done?
Resonator delete and muffler delete, nothing else I know of power wise.

I have a friend with an 18 as well and when I drove his car, I noticed my 16 felt quicker, but I also have the power pack 2 and FP exaust.

One thing for sure, the 16 looks better. That front with the melted cheeks just looks weird.
Lol I disagree, I think a stock 18 looks wayyyy better than a stock 16 now.

Reduced throttle is probably related to stringing out more MPG. I'm sure a tune will remove the lag. Me personally don't understand that but I don't have a manual. In sport mode/track sometimes I feel like the throttle is TOO sensitive.
Ya probably the case. I am going to wait on a ford performance tune, don't wanna screw around with warranty on a 1st year car.

I can assure you, from a dig or a roll he will not pull on you. If he does, there is something wrong with that 18 or, bad driver mod. Every race I have seen at the drag strip shows similar short times and the 18 putting distance on the earlier S550's the whole way down the track unless of course the 18 has the bad driver mod, nothing is worse than the bad driver mod.
This was just from us driving each other's cars, didn't actually run one vs the other. That makes sense though based on times both cars have gotten at 1/4 mile and 0-60.
Sponsored