Sponsored

Thinking about going from GT back to a slow car

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I have a Fusion for a loaner car right now. It's not bad. It's very comfortable and easy to drive.

I think it has a few modern touches I'd like to see in the mustang but they are probably not there because of classic design cues.

Fusion Steering wheel is thicker and feels better. I guess the mustang is going for a 60s/70s look with the wheel. I need to get a GT350 wheel ASAP!

Sync 3 screen is in a better location and up at eye line. Still not where it should be but better.

There is a place to put your phone, heck, even a tablet and a couple phablet phones.

Electronic parking brake and shifter allow for more room and better automation. But I'm sure classic design enthusiasts would hate that and it would make drifting difficult.

And OMG, the Fusion has turning radius! The mustang feels like a 1971 El Dorado 8.2L (my first car) in a parking lot.

But I want my car back!
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I have a Fusion for a loaner car right now. It's not bad. It's very comfortable and easy to drive.

I think it has a few modern touches I'd like to see in the mustang but they are probably not there because of classic design cues.

Fusion Steering wheel is thicker and feels better. I guess the mustang is going for a 60s/70s look with the wheel. I need to get a GT350 wheel ASAP!

Sync 3 screen is in a better location and up at eye line. Still not where it should be but better.

There is a place to put your phone, heck, even a tablet and a couple phablet phones.

Electronic parking brake and shifter allow for more room and better automation. But I'm sure classic design enthusiasts would hate that and it would make drifting difficult.

And OMG, the Fusion has turning radius! The mustang feels like a 1971 El Dorado 8.2L (my first car) in a parking lot.

But I want my car back!

That would be impossible. Electronic parking brakes disable themselves when moving. So no, I don't think anyone that has a sports car wants an electronic parking brake.

While advancement in technology and modern electronics is nice so we can have a digital instrument cluster, better infotainment system, etc, some of these so called "upgrades" aren't upgrades at all. I don't consider being lazy an upgrade.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
As regards the digital cluster, I rather like the analogue gauges but because I wanted a heated wheel I had to go to the premium interior package. I also probably would have liked the tan interior better with Royal Crimson but that isn't offered with the premium interior. So my heated wheel cost me CDN$2000. Oh well.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I just drove my 2017 Mustang GT Convertible 1800 miles round trip from WI to PA. When I got past the Ohio border into PA it was like heaven... tons of twisty roads, hills, etc.. Every stop for gas was a joy as I came back unto the express way with a pull all the way to 70+ .... I was a bit worried that I would be missing the performance aspect with the vert, but it is still there. I guess my point is that if you have the roads and environment you can really enjoy this car and stretch it's legs out without getting into trouble. I'm glad I didn't go with the GT350 because I am not at a point in my life where I can go to the track and wring a car out at 100mph+....
There are plenty of opportunities to stretch the car but you have to be purposeful to get it in the right environment..

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
That would be impossible. Electronic parking brakes disable themselves when moving. So no, I don't think anyone that has a sports car wants an electronic parking brake.

While advancement in technology and modern electronics is nice so we can have a digital instrument cluster, better infotainment system, etc, some of these so called "upgrades" aren't upgrades at all. I don't consider being lazy an upgrade.
They disable? I've tried them before at somewhat low speeds in a Benz, they seem to kick in hard. I will not ever try that again!!!!

Are electronic windows, auto headlights, wipers, power locks, anti-lock brakes, keyless entry, etc. lazy? Perhaps so. But if the internet existed in 1910 people would have complained about electronic starters and insist on hand cranks.

I've never been sure about e brakes myself. I've come to appreciate electronic parking brakes. I always hate them at first but then miss it when it's not there.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

They disable? I've tried them before at somewhat low speeds in a Benz, they seem to kick in hard. I will not ever try that again!!!!

Are electronic windows, auto headlights, wipers, power locks, anti-lock brakes, keyless entry, etc. lazy? Perhaps so. But if the internet existed in 1910 people would have complained about electronic starters and insist on hand cranks.

I've never been sure about e brakes myself. I've come to appreciate electronic parking brakes. I always hate them at first but then miss it when it's not there.

The cars I have been, they disable at a certain speed. Disabling the parking brake at speed is a security feature so joe-schmo doesn't kill himself.

Not really sure your comparison is a good one. Electronic starters are very necessary. Not only does it save time, but they are pretty darn reliable and a security feature as well. One could argue automatic headlights, electronic windows, wipers, anti-lock brakes, power locks, and keyless entry are all security features as well. For example, someone is trying to chase you down to rob you. Keyless entry could very well save your life. Same scenario for power locks and electronic windows.

When I say features that are making us lazy, I'm referring to heated, cooled, and massaging seats with 50 different power settings. I'm referring to dual-zone automatic climate control. Those type of things. The same applies to a parking brake. What happens if the car cuts off, loses power, and you are rolling down a hill and the brake pedal doesn't work? A regular e-brake will save you. Will the electronic parking brake still work? Hmm... :shrug:

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
This is why I believe the GT is a garage car. It's really not practical as a daily and too expensive to just keep in a driveway. I would need a secondary car for the colder teams come late fall, winter, and spring.

I was thinking about trading up, but now I am thinking just sitting on my Eco while waiting for the hybrid stang to show up with v8 like power with better gas millage.

Last edited:

Sponsored

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I drive a Focus ST for daily and love scooting through traffic, but got ticket because turbo goes to 45 so fast in 25. Never got ticked in GT350, but I drive it less and make sure I have Waze on. I love driving mustang, but not a everyday driver IMO.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550

See Focus RS Drift Stick....

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I had a very enjoyable drive in the countryside today in a Chevrolet Spark 1.0 LS, manual gearbox. Max power 68 bhp.

Easier and faster to drive down narrow lanes than my Mustang.
Nice, Isle of Man. Birthplace of the Brothers Gibb. :)
Sponsored