Sponsored

Thinking about going from GT back to a slow car

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I had a 2010 GTI, and it was a very good little car. Understeered quite a bit, and had a slow steering ratio and sloppy shifter, but for what it was, it was quite good. I think a quicker steering ratio would have made it feel much more nimble.

A decent handling slow(er) car is great because you do get to wind it out a bit. The biggest drawback to the GT350 is the gearing that allows you to get to 80 MPH at the top of 2nd. If you really work it, you basically get a single shift. However, at the track it is awesome.

So, that might be another option for you. Try going to an AutoX or track day, where you can really work the car in a safe environment. Helps satiate the need for speed, allowing you to still appreciate the car on the street in cruise mode.

Still, small hatchbacks are definitely fun. The Mustang really comes into its own as a GT, effortlessly loafing down the highway at 80 MPH. It can tear up the corners as well of course, but the limits are so high that it's tough to stay safe while feeling like you are even trying.

Best of luck with your decision.

-T
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Don't get me wrong. I love my boosted GT. I like the torque and rumble of the V8. And the power of course.
The problem really is I'm sick of driving around half throttle most of the time. If I wring this car out a bit, I quickly end up 30+ over the speed limit. Is it fun? Sure. But it's also pretty reckless. And I hate always looking for cops (yes, I use Waze). I know some think just cruising around in a V8 Mustang is great in itself. I'm really not one of them.

And yes, I know I'll be called nuts as to what I'm about to say. But I actually miss just flogging my '14 Fiesta SE manual all over the place and still going somewhat sane speeds. Something I simply cannot do in the Mustang 90% of the time. I feel like I got to use ALL of that car and in the Mustang I feel like I get to use 30%.

I'm considering going back to a true minimalist car that I can wring out on the streets and not care much if it gets dinged here and there...etc. I'm considering going back to a Fiesta SE. I drove the Fiesta ST. It's got much better power/handling but the ride quality/tire noise IMO was pretty horrible. And I'm thinking of going even cheaper.

I haven't committed to doing this. But I am thinking about it. One reason I may not is that my g/f probably won't ride in my car. She thinks small cars are not safe and only likes riding in big ones (like her Charger or the Mustang. Albeit she doesn't like riding much in the Mustang either b/c it's loud and has a firm ride compared to what she's used to, lol.)
Was wondering if anyone else has had similar sentiments?
Guessing not, so flame away! lol

I know how you feel.... I love my 18 GT but I miss flooring my 6 and not worrying about blowing by the speed limit instantly! :lol: Believe it or not there are times where I think I would have had more fun in the EB but then I listen to that V8 soundtrack and that all goes away... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I know how you feel.... I love my 18 GT but I miss flooring my 6 and not worrying about blowing by the speed limit instantly! :lol: Believe it or not there are times where I think I would have had more fun in the EB but then I listen to that V8 soundtrack and that all goes away... :thumbsup:
Haha. The soundtrack is what’s keeping me from doing anything at present. And auto x and track days are not my thing. Street is all I care about.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The good 'ole slippery slope eh? That's why being a car guy sucks sometimes.

I have a Jeep and a Mustang. The Jeep has all of 190hp (less since it's so old, it's probably tired. a '96), but I love driving it. Switching between the 2 makes you like each one more imo. I would at least consider getting another car that you can drive whenever you feel like this.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Better to go back to a slower car than to end up in jail or with your car taken away. I can't fault you for thinking that. Actually, I think the EB or V6 Mustangs are plenty fast enough to have fun in. Definitely a power adder on top of a GT is not necessary.

You can get the benefit of the HP, you just need to get off the throttle sooner. Maybe you need steeper gears and bigger rear tires.

But if you prefer a hatch the Focus makes sense to me. I personally despised every Focus I have driven (other than the ST), but you should do what you prefer.

Sponsored

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Lol. I went from a v6 to 4 and now to a V8. I can understand not being able to use all the power but what I hated the most from the 4 banger is passing people in the highway. I would punch it but the whole engine would struggle the whole way. It took passing someone like 10 seconds and now I can do it in 2 secs or less.

If you have the means to afford the V8 I would advice against getting rid of it. I was regretting it the whole time I had the 4 banger why I got rid of v6 thinking the same as you.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
The good 'ole slippery slope eh? That's why being a car guy sucks sometimes.

I have a Jeep and a Mustang. The Jeep has all of 190hp (less since it's so old, it's probably tired. a '96), but I love driving it. Switching between the 2 makes you like each one more imo. I would at least consider getting another car that you can drive whenever you feel like this.
I have another car. A '14 Jetta 1.8. I only keep it around b/c I lend it to my parents when they live out West here for 4.5 months out of the year (vs them paying 4K+ for a rental car).

But I work from home, so mostly drive weekends and take the Mustang. I'm still thinking it over. I may just keep it. I didn't boost it anyway. It came that way when I bought it used. :)

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I get it nomadic. No use driving a car you can't enjoy the way you want. Life's short, get what makes you happy. Good luck in your decision.

BTW, wouldn't an EcoBoost Mustang fit the bill?

Last edited:

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have another car. A '14 Jetta 1.8. I only keep it around b/c I lend it to my parents when they live out West here for 4.5 months out of the year (vs them paying 4K+ for a rental car).

But I work from home, so mostly drive weekends and take the Mustang. I'm still thinking it over. I may just keep it. I didn't boost it anyway. It came that way when I bought it used. :)
There you go. You have the Jetta for most of the year, and you don't daily drive the boosted Mustang. I would keep the boost and enjoy it.

stangjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
For me if i had to take something with less power but fun to drive it would be a bmw m2 but it's more expensi than a mustang. Golf r would be nice too

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Go back to stock and boom, your car is slower. Still cant enjoy it because it's still fast.
Go to a 4.6 lol.

DeadLoad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Dont forget that Jetta is boosted also. Get an APR tune. I daily the same car.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I worry about the same thing. Now that my car is out of warranty I've been wanting to supercharge it but I live on the coast in FL. My drive to the office consists of: take a right out of my neighborhood and drive straight for 20 miles @ 60-70mph, get on the beltway with a bunch of morons for 3 miles and I'm there. The only spot I kind of get to wring it out is the long sweeping on-ramp to the beltway, but even then I'm going 100 in the matter of seconds and the fun has to end.

It kills me to say this but for as much as I would love to have 650+ horsepower, I kind of feel like it would just go to waste.

You can do more with the car than just drive it to the office. My commute is bumper to bumper traffic.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Run at the track. Try 1/2 speed events. Autocross the thing.

I get what you are saying. Triple digits, even NA, come fast.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Get an Ecoboost Mustang :headbang: (yes you can still get into trouble with it, you just have to dig deeper!).
Sponsored