Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Most of the posted 2018 5.0 engine failures, fixes and replacements have been due to loss of or premature failure of valve springs where in some instances the valves have dropped into the cylinders...

I’m wondering if whomever is responsible for assembling the heads is either not using the proper torque specs, assembly procedures or the supplied valves/retainers are inferior parts....
Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Most of the posted 2018 5.0 engine failures, fixes and replacements have been due to loss of or premature failure of valve springs where in some instances the valves have dropped into the cylinders...

I’m wondering if whomever is responsible for assembling the heads is either not using the proper torque specs, assembly procedures or the supplied valves/retainers are inferior parts....

With so many parts being "sourced" these days that would be my bet.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I've got a 2018 with a late November build date.. i'm crossing my fingers

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
With so many parts being "sourced" these days that would be my bet.
I agree. But I also suspect the new spray bore/larger displacement may be a factor. they've been using the spray bore but maybe something else was out of spec or something happened in November.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I've got a 2018 with a late November build date.. i'm crossing my fingers
I hope you are ok. Really sucks to have to deal with this and slow responsiveness from the dealer. I really love the Mustang.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
This could be the cause of the noise I am hearing. But I'm still waiting for pictures of the cylinder damage.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50347

OASIS 2888-

Some 2016 GT350 Mustangs might exhibit Piston Rattle from Idle to 3000 RPM

Some 2016 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from idle-3000 rpm. The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound.

Last edited:

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
My exception is, if it has a warranty I don't care. ;D

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
My exception is, if it has a warranty I don't care. ;D
LOL, yes but we also wanted to understand what exactly was causing the noise! Most responses have just been "normal" noise haha.

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have a similar noise on my 2015, but I thought it was valve train related as it only happens at around 2 rpm and doesn't need to have a load.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I have a similar noise on my 2015, but I thought it was valve train related as it only happens at around 2 rpm and doesn't need to have a load.
So many similar sounding noises. I'm waiting for pics of my damaged cylinders to see what was actually happening.

Sponsored

fairlane_68

Sooner Hot Rod and 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1994 Bronco, 1997 Mustang GT
Any time you have a new model year with a significant increase in performance, there are going to be issues. And engine performance/noise/wear issues have always been a problem with Ford. Most of you probably weren't around when Ford was replacing the original 5.0L engines in Crown Vics and other cars in the 80's and 90's due to piston slap, and techs were replacing them two at a time. And Ford wasn't even recalling the core engines back, so a lot of good, low-mile 302's went home with the techs. IMO the 5.4's were the worst.

But like someone else said, if it's under warranty, don't sweat it. Your engine will be used to develop a fix.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Any time you have a new model year with a significant increase in performance, there are going to be issues. And engine performance/noise/wear issues have always been a problem with Ford. Most of you probably weren't around when Ford was replacing the original 5.0L engines in Crown Vics and other cars in the 80's and 90's due to piston slap, and techs were replacing them two at a time. And Ford wasn't even recalling the core engines back, so a lot of good, low-mile 302's went home with the techs. IMO the 5.4's were the worst.

But like someone else said, if it's under warranty, don't sweat it. Your engine will be used to develop a fix.
Yes, I'm good with that. My issue is no one in the service dept has been able to say exactly what caused the problem. The only reasonable explanation is from the OASIS notice on 2016 GT350 piston rattle. I can accept that. I guess it's good that with my ignorance, I continued to pursue this which eventually led to where we are now and that there was verifiable damage contrary to what the OASIS notice said. I really love this car. Too bad it's been in the shop longer that the amount of time I've driven it so far lol.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
UPDATE: Ford approved a new short block. Dealer placed the order. No ETA yet. 14 days in the shop so far.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I don't think the noise in the first post has anything to do with the engine damage. This seems to be a fairly common clutch chatter. I have it as well and it doesn't worry me. I am pretty sure I had it on my 2015 as well. It definitely doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
Mines making the exact same noise as the video. Also happens between 2-2.5k. Seems like when i grasp the shifter/collar it diminishes, but that may be placebo. Its only under load and is most prevalent 1st-3rd. Only 400 miles on the clock, and this was NOT there during the test drive. I pray its not the engine. Im hesitant to take it in just yet, cause dealers can really f up your cars trying to diagnose a problem.
Sponsored