Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I have been trying to figure that out as well because most of the engine issues seem to be either part failure, which could be a change in manufacturer issue, or assembly issue, which to be honest shouldn't be an issue since the gen3 is not a drastic change if at all over the gen2 as far as assembly goes.

Now for the OPs situation, if there is excessive piston slap then that to me sounds like either piston and ring gap to bore were out of spec, assembly issue, or that the spray on bore coating failed either in it's application or after use, manufacturing issue.

Either way, I will have my fingers crossed for you as well, hoping you get an engine replacement without issue!
Thank you! Others also think the same and that mine was built on a Friday afternoon haha!
Sponsored

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Hey, just wondering the noise you're describing is the clatter that kind of sounds like a diesel idling in the video? That is really loud!
Yes! It’s that diesel sound.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
That sucks so much. You've got me paranoid now, I'll check on my home from work to make sure my car doesn't make that noise. I'm guessing if it did I would've noticed it by now right?

275 miles on my car, mostly city miles with maybe 100 miles at highway speeds.
It’s very noticeable so if you haven’t then you shoudld be fine.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Yes!! But I was so mesmerized by the car lol.

I understand my friend. Like you I would have never though the engine would give out on a new car. It's just one of those things that happens,

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
What's your build date?

Sponsored

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP (Magnetic Metallic)
I understand my friend. Like you I would have never though the engine would give out on a new car. It's just one of those things that happens,
There isn't a make/model of car built by any manufacturer, of any volume at least that doesn't have few lemons in the bunch. Sucks for sure.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Last edited:

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
It does seem like November was a bad month. I keep asking for build dates and the majority is November.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Thanks! Maybe the changes they made have some minor glitches that need to be worked out. Sucks to be the guinea pig lol.
At first I was gonna say I doubt this, since the biggest change is the dual injection system and piston slap is a cylinder geometry issue. But now I'm thinking that there was a minor cylinder change to get just over 5,000 cc.

Does anyone know if the minor displacement difference is achieved by bore or stroke or both? Still seems like if it was bore, a minor honing adjustment wouldn't lead to slap. But a mistake in crank machining to a different stroke could possibly contribute. Could be as simple as tolerance stackups on the bearings.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes! It’s that diesel sound.
I was thinking that maybe the new injection system was the cause. People not used to direct injection sometimes think it sounds "like a diesel only quieter". That's not what I heard on the video, though. It does sound more like piston slap. But then that's listening to phone audio recording over a laptop. Not exactly precise.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
At first I was gonna say I doubt this, since the biggest change is the dual injection system and piston slap is a cylinder geometry issue. But know I'm thinking that there was a minor cylinder change to get just over 5,000 cc.

Does anyone know if the minor displacement difference is achieved by bore or stroke or both? Still seems like if it was bore, a minor honing adjustment wouldn't lead to slap. But a mistake in crank machining to a different stroke could possibly contribute.
They used a spray bore liner instead of metal sleeve to increase displacement to 5.035.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They used a spray bore liner instead of metal sleeve to increase displacement to 5.035.
Ah! Good call! I forgot they were going to spray bore. Depends on how close they set the tolerances on the ring sets, then. That may have driven a whole new set of rings and seals in the piston grooves. If there's too much "slop" in the rings and seals (we're talking fractions of a human hair width) you can get piston slap.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
It does seem like November was a bad month. I keep asking for build dates and the majority is November.
Mine has a similar sound and is also Nov. I'm not convinced mine is the engine yet though.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I was thinking that maybe the new injection system was the cause. People not used to direct injection sometimes think it sounds "like a diesel only quieter". That's not what I heard on the video, though. It does sound more like piston slap. But then that's listening to phone audio recording over a laptop. Not exactly precise.
I'm used to DI but I don't hear it at all on my car. I'm actually amazed at how quite this engine is (not counting active exhaust).

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
My rule of thumb on new technology (or vehicle model) on a given manufacturer is to wait for the 2nd year as they'll iron out a lot of issues the 1st.

That’s mine and most people especially with major changes to the engine and a new tranny. But I will make an exception here to the performance guys who blog and do the YouTube thing. They need to have something to talk about and engine trouble and constant trips to the dealer and input from their friends and industry insiders and all that keep things entertaining. So that reason for being a test subject can actually make sense. For the rest of us mortals it doesn’t. You can hope and pray that you will get lucky on the latest new version, but it never happens. But I have to say all these problems and in really low mileage cars is more than troubling.
Sponsored