Sponsored

Secret to shorter 60’ mostly stock setup??

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
My 15 GT auto 315 gears stock motor consistently runs 13.06 to 13.1 @ 108/109.95 mph.
I would love to get it into the high 12’s without spending money. I other words, it needs Driver mods...
I think my issue is 60’ times, they are always over 2 seconds. How do I lower them?

Attempts so far:
Shallow stage, deep stage
Drive mode, sport mode, race mode
Leave from idle, leave at 1000, 1500 rpm
Result always seems to be spinning rears off the line. Sometimes minor hop, sometimes not.
I tried feathering throttle...

Alignment might be too strong, like 2.0, 2.2 Camber? In rear?
Other mods I did not expect to have any affect, they didn’t-
Switched from 19’ Pirelli all seasons to 20’ Pirelli summer tires, then to 20 continental dws, varying tire pressure from recommended down to 26. lowered one inch Ford racing springs....Mishimoto H pipe.

Times are consistent throughout all mods.....doesn’t matter if I remove spare, jack,personal items, run full tank or empty....

Input please
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
-2 is a little high on camber -1 to -1.5 is better in my opinion but shouldnt be too terrible. if youre spinning you need more traction something like continential extremecontact sport. or MPS4S or MPSS or if you have the money to go street SS. the stock auto tune is a little soft too for the 6r80. i had a bolt on 13 GT 6r80 on Contis and didnt spin at all.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Dont just stab the gas. You'll spin. Try revving the motor and feed the throttle in in a controlled fashion. Try a 1000-1, 1000-2 type throttle drop. I cut 1.7s on the stock tires. Most people think you can just floor the throttle and steer.

Sponsored

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
My 15 GT auto 315 gears stock motor consistently runs 13.06 to 13.1 @ 108/109.95 mph.
I would love to get it into the high 12’s without spending money. I other words, it needs Driver mods...
I think my issue is 60’ times, they are always over 2 seconds. How do I lower them?

Attempts so far:
Shallow stage, deep stage
Drive mode, sport mode, race mode
Leave from idle, leave at 1000, 1500 rpm
Result always seems to be spinning rears off the line. Sometimes minor hop, sometimes not.
I tried feathering throttle...

Alignment might be too strong, like 2.0, 2.2 Camber? In rear?
Other mods I did not expect to have any affect, they didn’t-
Switched from 19’ Pirelli all seasons to 20’ Pirelli summer tires, then to 20 continental dws, varying tire pressure from recommended down to 26. lowered one inch Ford racing springs....Mishimoto H pipe.

Times are consistent throughout all mods.....doesn’t matter if I remove spare, jack,personal items, run full tank or empty....

Input please
Only good thing about those tires are, you don't need to bake them so do a short burnout outside the water box, DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH IT with street tires, the front tires will drag water all the way to the starting line, people can argue this but after 38 years of drag racing this is a truth that remains consistent, street radials will drag water. Back to the edge and do the burnout there, don't bake them, you'll be wasting rubber.

Also, do not lower the air pressure on regular street radials, run them at recommended pressure, these kinds of tires will sit wrong giving less tire contact than drag radials.

On the first run, don't fully stage, brake torque until you get some tire spin then back off a bit, note the rpm's, take your foot off the gas and fully stage and launch from that rpm going forward. You may look funny doing this but you will know where the tires lose traction.

Deep staging, short staging, don't worry about that. I'm not sure if those Continentals are as bad as my 20" all weather Goodyears but I have gotten 1.9 60 footers with 40psi in them which I find hilarious considering on the street they have zero traction.

As for shifting, I can only imagine race mode as the one you should be using but I haven't driven the 2015 auto.

Consider a CAI with a tune and better tires and you'll get into the 12's easily.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dont just stab the gas. You'll spin. Try revving the motor and feed the throttle in in a controlled fashion. Try a 1000-1, 1000-2 type throttle drop. I cut 1.7s on the stock tires. Most people think you can just floor the throttle and steer.
Agreed, except for the 1.7's with stock tires, the Goodyear all weather tires are horrid but awesome in the rain! :lol:

I need to post the video of mine breaking loose at the staging lights... still managed to get them ready before the 3rd bulb and cut a 1.9 60.

I watched a lot of Camaros and Mustang's at GLD launching like they were trying to smoke the tires instead of get good timeslips, they just kept their foot buried on the gas pedal then got to the pits screaming they have no traction!

Very easy to blame the tires but nobody should be getting worse than a 2.0 or 1.9 on stock rubber unless some meathead dragged water to the line.

Deleted member 33561

The first thing I think of when having a hard time getting traction at the strip is find a strip that preps better. I have been to drag strips that I could hook on the first pass if I got to the start early. The strip went away fast. Drag strip owners have a tendency to go cheap at test and tune nights with very little prep. My local strip does little prep on test and tune nights and only slicks or good drag radials will hook. I used to bracket race my Scatpack there by launching in 2nd gear to get consistent launches. The A10 does not allow that which is one reason I liked the Challenger A8 better. Watch other drivers with similar tires/hp and see if they are hooking. If so maybe just some more practice will fix it for you.

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
u can write a book about launching, it's 90% of drag racing..,sad thing is,it changes every single time u go to the strip..how much vht, how far out is vht how much water or debris last guy drug..temperature or tire, temperature of pavement... tire air pressure,shock settings,,ect ect ..ect. I spent 3 full months 5 different time at strip over one summer dialing in a gt 500 for 3 tenths, it was a stick car so it made it 10xharder but only solution is to run run run and keep playing with stuff

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
The first thing I think of when having a hard time getting traction at the strip is find a strip that preps better. I have been to drag strips that I could hook on the first pass if I got to the start early. The strip went away fast. Drag strip owners have a tendency to go cheap at test and tune nights with very little prep. My local strip does little prep on test and tune nights and only slicks or good drag radials will hook. I used to bracket race my Scatpack there by launching in 2nd gear to get consistent launches. The A10 does not allow that which is one reason I liked the Challenger A8 better. Watch other drivers with similar tires/hp and see if they are hooking. If so maybe just some more practice will fix it for you.
Actually the A10 does allow to go into second gear. Just make sure you are completely stopped. Pull the gear into S and click the paddle once and it will shift into 2nd gear.

Sponsored

Deleted member 33561

Thanks for that info. I either missed that in the manual or I forgot. At my age both are possibilities. Maybe even just confussion. :) I remember reading about sport selection with the gear shift and something about how to make it not shift automatically when in that mode plus how to also let it shift for me even in that mode but haven't used any of that yet.

OP
OP

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Thanks all for the input...

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Easiest way is to get yourself some drag radials.

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Make alot of passes.

Single best thing you can do is put in the seat time and make notes on what changes you made and how it reacted.

Also, put some tires on the thing. THAT will make for some great 60's and alot more fun. I really wish I had done tires first and modded from there.

Matt

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my slowest run, 12.5 because I chose sport mode. Here you'll see the tires break loose right before the tree lights up.

[ame]
Sponsored