Sponsored

Hydrosilex Recharge (ceramic coating)

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
They claim something like 6 months of protection and that it works better than wax offerings. If you make claims like that and it wears out in under a month, there is no basis to your claim. I understand he parks outside in the sun and everything, but still only lasts 20% of the claimed duration.

Going in with short duration expectations is a different story though. I've got some Car Guys sealant and wax to make it through before I give this (or a combo of this and a proper coating like Gtechniq CSL) a try next year.
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
They claim something like 6 months of protection and that it works better than wax offerings. If you make claims like that and it wears out in under a month, there is no basis to your claim. I understand he parks outside in the sun and everything, but still only lasts 20% of the claimed duration.

Going in with short duration expectations is a different story though. I've got some Car Guys sealant and wax to make it through before I give this (or a combo of this and a proper coating like Gtechniq CSL) a try next year.
Well as with any manufacturer claim you have to consider that it is with absolutely ideal conditions. I'll get mine in and apply it with the dry method and see how it goes. I'm also planning on getting their soap that is "designed" to work with their coating.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
This looks like it's just a Si02 spray sealant like Polish Angel High Gloss/Cosmic Spritz, CarPro Reload, etc... Polish is for refining paint finish, not protection. Yes you would want to strip wax. Si02 doesn't always play nice with carnauba.
Yes very true

Just wanted to post an update. The car is no longer beading water like it did when the coating was first applied. The windshield wipers did some weird skipping as the coating wore off the windshield. I don't have that issue anymore now that the coating is mostly gone from most surfaces on the car. Since application, I have washed the car once a week with Meguiar's Gold Class car shampoo. I sent the company a message on Facebook complaining that the wet application was garbage and asked to be supplied with another bottle so that I could try a dry application and they blocked me so that I am unable to reply to their response or leave a review of the product on the Facebook page.

Final opinion of the product: This stuff works amazing, but at ~$60 including shipping for a 16oz bottle, this stuff doesn't last long enough to justify the expense. I will definitely try other products. It was really nice to be able to apply this stuff to literally every surface of the car and not have to worry about the white residue that you would see from a wax. One other bit of information is that this car stays outside all day while I'm at work and it has been raining everyday here in south Florida. Probably the toughest proving grounds for this product and it simply did not live up to the longevity claims. The company's customer service absolutely sucks as well.
Thanks about all I would expect from an Si02 "reload" product like that.

Start with a real ceramic coating and then use something like this once a month and now your talking. Check out this thread:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104213

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
I just tried a little bit of this stuff on the hood of my wifes car. I don't have time to fuss with it much, so something easy is best for that thing. I did some light paint correction on her hood, then applied it dry. It's been two weeks, and it's still VERY slick.

At the same time, I put it on half the hood of my old Dodge Ram beater truck, and some spray wax on the other half. That thing NEVER gets washed, but sits with the hood facing south all day long. So far, it's holding up on that also, and the spray wax is already starting to wear off after several rain storms and wiping it off now and again to check it.

While I'm not sure I buy their 6month claim, it does seem to work reasonably well, and I can see using for basic upkeep on my wifes car since it goes on so quickly.

I put a touch of it on that black panel on my 18GT, then covered it with some natty's red a week or so later. That's also holding up fine, and that panel has actually managed to stay mostly clean this week.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I just tried a little bit of this stuff on the hood of my wifes car. I don't have time to fuss with it much, so something easy is best for that thing. I did some light paint correction on her hood, then applied it dry. It's been two weeks, and it's still VERY slick.

At the same time, I put it on half the hood of my old Dodge Ram beater truck, and some spray wax on the other half. That thing NEVER gets washed, but sits with the hood facing south all day long. So far, it's holding up on that also, and the spray wax is already starting to wear off after several rain storms and wiping it off now and again to check it.

While I'm not sure I buy their 6month claim, it does seem to work reasonably well, and I can see using for basic upkeep on my wifes car since it goes on so quickly.

I put a touch of it on that black panel on my 18GT, then covered it with some natty's red a week or so later. That's also holding up fine, and that panel has actually managed to stay mostly clean this week.
That’s exactly what I am hoping for... Something easy to apply that gives me the benefits of a real coating. I won’t mind reapplying every month or so.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Zack why not try a proper coating while your paint is still pretty and new? Gtechniq CSL and 22ple HPC both seem very easy to apply and last 3-5 years. Assuming you pay top price, you're looking at something like $120 and not having to apply every month.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Zack why not try a proper coating while your paint is still pretty and new? Gtechniq CSL and 22ple HPC both seem very easy to apply and last 3-5 years. Assuming you pay top price, you're looking at something like $120 and not having to apply every month.
Couple of reasons...

1. I do not have a climate controlled area to apply the coating so I would have to wait for the perfect day in a Maryland summer to apply the coating with any hope of it going on properly instead of drying the instant it comes out of the bottle.

2. From the coatings I have researched, alot seem to have issues with hard water spots. Some even have to go to the point of removing the coating and reapplying in order to get rid of them. I have not heard of the coatings you listed so I will have to look into them more.

3. I am not entirely sold on the idea of a 2+ year coating on a daily driver. I can see events that will happen to my car (dent, scratch, etc..) that might require light paint work which will be complicated by the fact that I have a coating. The entire panel would have to have the coating removed in order to correct small defect. While that is not a large issue I am just not entirely sold on the idea yet.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION] If not a ceramic coating you would still be better off with a sealant like this:
https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-hydro2-paint-coating.html

fwiw I've never had any water spots on any of the 3 cars that I've(or had) coated. Also the diy stuff comes off with a DA and polish. Nothing a body shop would think twice about.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION] If not a ceramic coating you would still be better off with a sealant like this:
https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-hydro2-paint-coating.html

fwiw I've never had any water spots on any of the 3 cars that I've(or had) coated. Also the diy stuff comes off with a DA and polish. Nothing a body shop would think twice about.
Thanks for the tip! I will look into it.

I just need something that is easy to apply and will protect my paint better then a wax until I have the weather and decide if I want to go with a proper coating. I figured I would give this a shot and see how it went.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tip! I will look into it.

I just need something that is easy to apply and will protect my paint better then a wax until I have the weather and decide if I want to go with a proper coating.
Can't get easier that a sealant! I used the one I mentioned on my 2015 Yukon XL last November. I went with the sealant over the coating because it was cold already and coating that boat would have taken too much time.

The primary use of the truck is towing my snowmobile trailer to Northern New Hampshire. Because of all the salt and chemicals the frame looks like its been at the bottom of the ocean. The paint however still beads water like a duck.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Couple of reasons...

1. I do not have a climate controlled area to apply the coating so I would have to wait for the perfect day in a Maryland summer to apply the coating with any hope of it going on properly instead of drying the instant it comes out of the bottle.

2. From the coatings I have researched, alot seem to have issues with hard water spots. Some even have to go to the point of removing the coating and reapplying in order to get rid of them. I have not heard of the coatings you listed so I will have to look into them more.

3. I am not entirely sold on the idea of a 2+ year coating on a daily driver. I can see events that will happen to my car (dent, scratch, etc..) that might require light paint work which will be complicated by the fact that I have a coating. The entire panel would have to have the coating removed in order to correct small defect. While that is not a large issue I am just not entirely sold on the idea yet.
1. I feel you on this, part of the reason I haven't done it as well. I only have my parking spot at my apartment and it's in direct sunlight most of the day which makes it so I can't do it here basically. As far as the chemicals drying, shouldn't happen that fast but for CSL you're supposed to be able to basically wipe on, wipe off although some people go as long as 8 minutes before they buff it off (after that it is cured to the paint and very grabby).

2. CSL has an optional top layer called Exo which gives it extra hydrophobic properties which could help with that. You could also spray something like the Hydrosilex Recharge on top if you wanted, but Exo is designed for that part.

3. For small paint work, I don't see why you would need to remove the coating from the whole panel. Although it has extra gloss as part of the design, I'd prefer to just have that small section affected and use extra care on that area in the future (ie more top coat or even wax for that spot) instead.

I just think it makes more sense, if you have a garage at least, to go straight to the coating right away since they don't seem too involved in application unless you need heavy paint correction all around the car which is what takes the whole weekend, not the actual application.

Until I run out of supplies and get a nice area to do a coating properly, I'm sticking with a sealant then wax combo so no issues there!

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1. I feel you on this, part of the reason I haven't done it as well. I only have my parking spot at my apartment and it's in direct sunlight most of the day which makes it so I can't do it here basically. As far as the chemicals drying, shouldn't happen that fast but for CSL you're supposed to be able to basically wipe on, wipe off although some people go as long as 8 minutes before they buff it off (after that it is cured to the paint and very grabby).

I just think it makes more sense, if you have a garage at least, to go straight to the coating right away since they don't seem too involved in application unless you need heavy paint correction all around the car which is what takes the whole weekend, not the actual application.

Until I run out of supplies and get a nice area to do a coating properly, I'm sticking with a sealant then wax combo so no issues there!
I agree...I just don’t have the weather to risk the attempt especially when it’s a more permanent coating. So for now I am looking for something to give me the benefits of a real coating while I wait for better weather and if I do decide to go with a real coating.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Well pretty impressed with their shipping! Already received my bottle.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Damn that's quick, mine took two days. Where in MD are you? I need to move to a different city apparently.
Haha more south then you are. Very suprised myself as I was not expecting the package until today. I might try for the weekend to apply it but might get pushed to next.
Sponsored