Sponsored

Gt350 intake vs stock GT intake tested on a Mustang dyno. Results; The good, the bad

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
2016 Mustang GT auto. Jlt cai, bbk 1" 7/8 off-road lth, custom tuned. All test done on a Mustang dyno who simulate the weight and aerodynamics of the car. Run made in third gear. Result would have been higher in 4th gear. The goal was not to make hp record but to compare intakes and TB. All graph are WCF(corrected) numbers.

Like my car, his car tuning with the stock intake is pretty much optimized is spend hours to tune is stock intake tune . He did not change too much his tune with the stock TB and gt350 intake test but he made changes to the tune to make it run with the gt350 TB. Obviously some numbers could be gain with more tuning with the gt350 intake.
We did try also a run going back with stock vct numbers just too see and we loose a bit everywhere. Again we may regain a bit of torque and hp bellow 6000 rpm playing with the vct and other stuff but I don't think it will make a huge difference but I could be wrong. Will see later when it will be on my own car.

He lock the ignition timing so it remain constant for all dyno runs. So no false result because a run that gave like 5 point of timing more or less than another!

This is not my car. My friend the dyno owner of Expert tuning in Napierville, Qc did a couple day before a dyno test of the 2015-16 GT intake vs 2011-2014 intake just for curiosity. The 2015 intake was a little bit stronger but barely. The difference may even have been only attributed to the higher intake air temp when running the 11-14 intake.

So he decide to leave the 2014 gt intake to save time since they are pretty much putting the same power curve and dyno it against my gt350 intake. It should not really affect the test. If anything the difference would have been even less.

By the way he decide to put the limiter at 7400. I would have like to have it much higher like 7800-8000 rpm but it's his car not mine. So I did not insist. It was not that important anyway as it peak before 7400 around 7300. Looks like it would have been good for shifting at 7800-7900 or even 8000 rpm. At 7400 it did not drop more than a couple HP.

I put the graph of the 2014 vs 2015 gt intake to show how close they are

Gt350 intake with stock 80mm t.b. vs gt intake

And gt350intake with stock tb vs gt350 tb

Result analysis :

GT350 intake and stock tb good above 5700 rpm and great gain on top:D. Big lost of torque bellow 5700 rpm especially over 30 lbs/ ft of torque @ 4200rpm and 20 @ 5200 rpm.

Small lost of HP and torque with the gt350 tb vs stock one. Not near the 30 pound /ft lost of another test we've seen but there is something weird going on with that 87mm gt350 TB. The iat were a little higher with the gt350 tb so the lost it not too excessive however what it's really strange it's that the gt350 tb maf reading read less air entering the engine. I must say that the gt350 tb have a really big sharp lip at the bottom entrance where the stock tb is pretty smooth. Need to do more testing with a full tuning before throwing it away but at first I will run the gt350 intake with the stock T.B.

In my opinion.

The good: for a M6 shifting at 7700-8000 rpm or so hoping the tranny take it nicely and launching at 5500-6000 rpm even higher if needed being able to stay out of low rpm to keep a good 60ft it should be equal to great gain at the 1/4 mile!!

The bad : For a auto with a stock converter .... ouch! You may gain mph and have a good second 1/8 but what you will be losing in the 60ft and first 1/8 would give you a tough time.

Auto with a 4c or 5c converter it may be ok but how much faster I don't know. Time will tell.

Just my opinion!

I must say the results are pretty much what I expected however I would have think that it would have lost a bit less than the 30 ft torque I was thinking more like 20 maybe 25. Maybe with a 100% optimized tune we can get back closer to those number. Time will tell. He will keep is stock intake since he is running the stock converter. I will put in on my M6 later in the season and will report the results.
2016-03-05 23.52.48.jpg
2016-03-05 23.56.50.jpg
2016-03-06 00.32.36.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

rozay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PQ 5.0 MT
Wait so gt350 tb is better ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
steph93lx

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait so gt350 tb is better ?

No, the lost is minimal look at the third graph

Last edited:

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Interesting results, I might need to look back and see what some members are running but I'm fairly sure we have some autos doing well with the GT350 intakes. I can't recall if they have stock converters I'll have to check.

I have an auto so this is certainly food for thought for me. Thankfully next purchase for me are Longtubes, so I have a little bit of time to think this through.

Sponsored

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Thanks for the results! I would have really liked to see a test where tuning is optimized for each setup because that's what will happen in the real world.

OP
OP
steph93lx

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the results! I would have really liked to see a test where tuning is optimized for each setup because that's what will happen in the real world.
The Tuning is not too far from optimise except some tweekings here and there like the vct. Vct's may and I repeat may help a bit but no miracle will happen it will not gain 20-30 rwhp or tq. With this test you get what I wanted to know and show meaning comparing the characteristics of the intakes with a car I know on a dyno that is has been a proven and accurate tool same day same car with 2 guy who know a bit about tuning and use the dyno for what it is a tool not the absolute certainty with a car that run the 1/4 miles not only numbers on a dyno .We race on the track. It's the winter now so 1/4 miles time will come later. I have other test to do with my car on the stock intake first.

Last edited:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
So below 5700rpm if I am reading graphs right the stock intake manifold makes more power and torque over 350 intake manifold?

OP
OP
steph93lx

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So below 5700rpm if I am reading graphs right the stock intake manifold makes more power and torque over 350 intake manifold?
Yes and while doing the pull we know right away it was down on power and torque down low just by the difference in the sound of acceleration of the engine. The acceleration rate in mph by second was way down also bellow 5500 but pick up at 5800+ and was great at 6400+

rozay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PQ 5.0 MT
Cj mani ftw

Sponsored
OP
OP
steph93lx

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting results, I might need to look back and see what some members are running but I'm fairly sure we have some autos doing well with the GT350 intakes. I can't recall if they have stock converters I'll have to check.

I have an auto so this is certainly food for thought for me. Thankfully next purchase for me are Longtubes, so I have a little bit of time to think this through.
Robs550 run great but run a cj intake and TB on his A6 with a 4c or 5c. There one guy with a gt350 intake and a M6 that run good but is first 1/8 is lacking a bit on drag radial. For the others we pretty much only have info like feeling fast without 1/4 mile time slip.

OP
OP
steph93lx

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj mani ftw

Really? Let see some track numbers!! Cj intake and TB is a great combo for sure if you are OK with cutting hood or drop engine or changing hood and pay $$ for the cj TB. Certainly great for a A6 car. I would have like to test it but unfortunately did not have one with tb available.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Looks like anything you do that makes this engine "breath better" just causes losses in HP/torque. That doesn't make sense to me. I don't think the last 1k rpm gains would make up for how much its losing. doesn't explain all the butt dynos saying its an improvement every where. At this point it sounds like stuffing the stock intake full of rags should give some good gains! LOL

I think whats going on here is the ECU depends on engine load that is calculated from an accurate MAF curve. Ideally this should be created on a flow bench. Allowing the engine to flow more air is just making it think there is more load instead of more air mass. This load needs to be corrected and compensated for in the tune in order for everything to work together and realize the benefits of the extra air flow. Bigger plenum, TB, and intake tube means engine creates less vacuum. That means Air wont be moving as fast and not cooling the MAF element as efficiently. This tells the car there's more load instead of air mass. AFR will be correct but vct, spark, ect. will be utilized like there's less available air. You did everything to keep the ECU parameters the same and that's why I think you are getting the results on the dyno you are getting. The ECU is compensating for the lack of changes to the tune.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
I don't think the last 1k rpm gains would make up for how much its losing.
It depends.

WOT its absolutely worth it. After first gear you're downshifts put you in a good spot. You're operating on a fairly flat curve and as the dynos show when ringing it out to ~7,500rpm you're also operating at a nice peak.

Around the town driving and half throttle accelerations? No, you look to be losing power. But if I wanted more power while driving around town in the lower RPM's I'd just press the peddle more... :lol:

I think its worth it. No doubt in WOT applications it does wonders. Lots of guys trapping 120+.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Cj mani ftw

Yup. But for the money, I'm glad I stuck with my ported boss. Do you have any maf numbers you'd be willing to share from datalogs from your CJ setup? Same goes for the poster here about the gt350 mani. I'm trying to see what flow rates are between stock mani, gt350, boss, cj.
Sponsored