Sponsored

Procharger vs the Cold! No Traction!

jhammy49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
As you can tell from the heading, I've got a procharger on my 2015 GT PP. While I'm on my 2nd set, I'm still running the stock Pirelli Summer tires. It has been a colder than normal winter here in Texas and since the temps have dropped below 50, (currently 29) I've had some major traction issues.

I know...what did I expect. Sure. Really what I'm looking for it what should be the next set of tires. I was planning on going with Mich Pilot sport 2. But I'd like to know if there is a better all around street tire that will hold traction better. I'm not sure I care as much about longevity as long as they are sticky.

Thanks!
Sponsored

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I got the MT ET S/S
They dead grip in 2nd gear.

Use them on the street as well, tread life not so good but you're not concerned about that.

For further reference:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95698&highlight=tire
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87404&highlight=tire
Same tire I'm running and they are the best..but...nothing and I mean NOTHING will hook on cold pavement with supercharged power. Be fortunate you are in Texas...it will be May before I can expect to play again.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
For an all around tire - the MPSS for MPS4S. Excellent traction in the warm/dry and won't kill you in the rain or freezing temperatures.

If it's warm all the time - then get an R compound tire and get traction everywhere but likely sacrifice wet weather driving.

No such thing as a tire that will dead hook in cold weather in a FI application.

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
It was 45 degrees yesterday and I was so excited I pulled the mustang out for a drive lol Spinning everywhere and smiling the whole time. Man I wish it was almost always above 50 degrees out.

Sponsored

yonson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 A10 401A, '16 RCSB 5.0
Summer tires + temps under 45° F = lots of spin especially when you just start driving on them. Once you get them warmed up they are a little better but not much, they just get too hard when they are that cold and traction is going to be slim to none...

OP
OP
jhammy49

jhammy49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for the input. Will probably go with the MTs soon.

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
I'm looking at Toyo r888r and bridgestone re71r. Don't plan to track but I want better traction than what I have now. New to the supercharger game. Car gets driven about 6k miles a year... will I hate those tires? I hear that they don't last very long

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I'm looking at Toyo r888r and bridgestone re71r. Don't plan to track but I want better traction than what I have now. New to the supercharger game. Car gets driven about 6k miles a year... will I hate those tires? I hear that they don't last very long
Any R compound tire won't last long. And pretty much all of them suffer from poor wet weather performance. Something to consider if you drive in the rain.

Softer tires - better traction - increased tire wear.

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
Any R compound tire won't last long. And pretty much all of them suffer from poor wet weather performance. Something to consider if you drive in the rain.

Softer tires - better traction - increased tire wear.
Thank you. Car only gets driven from about April-October. I'm divided if I want a solid summer performance tire like Michelin Pilot Super Sports or to go with 4 compound tire for the limited amount of miles I drive.

I have MPSS on stock rear PP wheels now 275/40/19 and I have a hard time seeing traction. 305's should be a lot better but I hope, but i'm reading that wider tire doesn't always help a whole lot with Whipple. Only way to get decent traction would be a much softer and wider tire.

Also how ghetto is it to have two different kind of tire brands rear vs front?

Sponsored

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
555Rs last longer than the other R compound tires including NT05R, R888 and MT S/S. They also do well in the rain until beyond half through their usable tread life. At E85 power levels they were hurting a bit in 2nd gear WOT in 75 degree weather but they were pretty much solid at 93 power levels of near 700whp as long as it was over 70 degrees. You'll need a 20" rear for 555Rs though, they don't make 19s. I just run 20" replica rear PP wheels with the 19s up front.

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Thank you. Car only gets driven from about April-October. I'm divided if I want a solid summer performance tire like Michelin Pilot Super Sports or to go with 4 compound tire for the limited amount of miles I drive.

I have MPSS on stock rear PP wheels now 275/40/19 and I have a hard time seeing traction. 305's should be a lot better but I hope, but i'm reading that wider tire doesn't always help a whole lot with Whipple. Only way to get decent traction would be a much softer and wider tire.

It's not ghetto at all if you have drag radials on the rear of a RWD car.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)

The car community would consider that to be normal. :)
Almost everyone with boost or serious HP runs a DR in the back. :)

Heck seeing 15" rear wheels are starting to become common as well.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
555Rs last longer than the other R compound tires including NT05R, R888 and MT S/S. They also do well in the rain until beyond half through their usable tread life. At E85 power levels they were hurting a bit in 2nd gear WOT in 75 degree weather but they were pretty much solid at 93 power levels of near 700whp as long as it was over 70 degrees. You'll need a 20" rear for 555Rs though, they don't make 19s. I just run 20" replica rear PP wheels with the 19s up front.
All truth here^^ I have about 5k in on my 555r's and they are still doing ok in the rain. But I do drive it VERY infrequently on wet roads. I expect 8 to 10k out if this set.

But like any tire you will not get traction sub 65/70* outside. I wont even got wot unless I am above 60 and even then there is a little peddling involved. Currently at about the 700 mark on 93; 13# out of a D1SC.

OP
OP
jhammy49

jhammy49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Well I went with the MT S/S 285/25/19. First impressions were ..... well AMAZING! I headed to Discount to get them installed at around 8:20 this morning. Sunny day with temps around 45 degs. The Pirelli's were bad as normal. I rolled into 2nd gear and as soon as I hit boost, the tires come lose, traction control hits, and the rear starts to step out. In 80+ deg weather, they will stick in 2nd. Which is normally fine here in Texas but this year has been colder than most.

30 mins later, the MT's are on. I sat there for a bit to get the eng up to temp and then rolled out. I rolled into 2nd and ALL GRIP! Temps had not changed much (47 I think at the time). As I'm Smiling uncontrollably...I realize that I need to let off so I don't attract any attention. I turn the corner and this time I punch 2nd. AGAIN, AMAZING! I think i felt a little slip but nothing bad. I did not feel TC hit but I didn't look down to see the light.

I am going to play a little over the next few days to see how they handle 1st. I'm really not expecting a lot out of first without some real heat in them.

As far as the life of the tire goes. I'm really not worried about it. The Pirelli's only lasted a bit over 7k before they failed state inspection. If these make it 5k, I'll be happy.
Sponsored