Clutch Spring Removal to Aid in Linear Pressure

svoguy2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richie
Vehicle(s)
89 Fox Body 347 Stroker,2015 Mustang GT, PP
To early to tell really. I think I need to drive it a couple of days to be sure I like it. It is stiffer for sure, and not quite as "springy" feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
To early to tell really. I think I need to drive it a couple of days to be sure I like it. It is stiffer for sure, and not quite as "springy" feeling.

All you did was depress the clutch all the way and yank on the spring horizontally?

svoguy2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richie
Vehicle(s)
All you did was depress the clutch all the way and yank on the spring horizontally?

That's pretty much all I did. Just watch the little ears on the top part of the spring. It looks like they may break easy. You will see what I mean when you look at it.

OP
OP

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
That's pretty much all I did. Just watch the little ears on the top part of the spring. It looks like they may break easy. You will see what I mean when you look at it.

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I bet a lot of people were hoping somebody else would do it first. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

minicobra

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thebandpetroleum.com
First Name
Braden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT/PP
I just went out while at work and pulled the spring out of mine. Real easy to do. Not sure if it makes a difference yet or not but it feels a bit stiffer which I like.
Interesting, so, would you say it would be just as easy to put back in??

kulfyur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE Mustang
Did that actually move the engagement point closer to the floor or did it just make the "feel" and resistance of the clutch more uniform through out?

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Watch at 7:05 of the following video. Is this how you all feel about the 2015 clutch pedal?

[ame]

svoguy2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richie
Vehicle(s)
Did that actually move the engagement point closer to the floor or did it just make the "feel" and resistance of the clutch more uniform through out?

It does not change the engagement point. Just makes it harder to push and got rid of that "springy" feeling.

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Watch at 7:05 of the following video. Is this how you all feel about the 2015 clutch pedal?

Edit: Trying to learn how to make the video start at 7:05. So far it is kind of working (meaning that it does start at 7:05), but you have to watch it at a new tab. Same video as the one just posted above (2 posts up).

Last edited:

Sponsored

kulfyur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE Mustang
Ah, thanks. I may take it off and see how it feels for mine too...

Btw if you guys think the GT's is bad, go test drive a 1LE. I did about a week before my LE came in just for shits and giggles and Oh Lawd it was extremely exaggerated. Made it very difficult for me to drive it.

Pharmer John

Dr. Beardface
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP Guard
I pulled my clutch assist spring today. Be careful when you pull it out as there are two plastic tabs on either side of the top and I managed to break one off. It'll probably still go back on fine if I decide to put it back on, just a word of caution.

I do highly recommend this mod. This is my first stick shift car, so it's hard to give a comparison to other cars, but I've noticed the clutch definitely feels more linear regarding the amount of pressure needed. Before, it was difficult to smoothly let up on the clutch pedal as the amount of force required to maintain the pedal stationary increased sharply right around the clutch engagement point. This would lead to the clutch pedal wanting to jump up and made the 1-2 shift rough unless I took it very slow.

Now, the pedal travel is more consistent which makes it easier to make the 1-2 shift smooth and makes smooth downshifting a lot easier. I've hardly noticed any increase in effort required to push the clutch in. There is a slight amount of play at the very top of the travel, but I wouldn't call it spongy as I've seen some people complain of and it's not something I would notice unless I was specifically looking for it, and only then while testing out the clutch with the car off. While driving, the only overall difference I've noticed is a more consistent, linear feel when letting the clutch out.

OP
OP

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP

Edit: Trying to learn how to make the video start at 7:05. So far it is kind of working (meaning that it does start at 7:05), but you have to watch it at a new tab. Same video as the one just posted above (2 posts up).
Thats exactly it.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Interesting.....
Sponsored