Sponsored

What are hub centric rings and why are they needed?

BFord1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Might be a dumb question. I'm thinking about getting a set of LMRs SVE 350r wheels.
Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I don't think those wheels need them.

For non hub centric wheels, hub centering rings fill the gap between the hub and the wheel. You don't really need them (especially the plastic ones).

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
^ This. Debatable weather you need them or not, depends on who you ask in my experience. They are cheap enough I don't see why you wouldn't use them.

I've never heard anything bad about hub rings, but I don't know many track guys. Any issues tracking wheels requiring hub rings? I'm still leaning towards forged wheels but have a few flow formed sets I like that would require hub rings, and that help the budget.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Only reason you would ever need those is if you get wheels with hub bores that are significantly bigger than the hub aka wheels not made for that car.

SVE wheels are specifically made for the Mustang and will fit perfectly without any hub rings.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Aftermarket manufacturers such as American Racing make wheels they specifically list as correct for certain applications but the wheels do not have a bore that matches the diameter of the hub. If these wheels use cone shaped seat lug nuts it is beneficial to use a ring to insure the wheel is centered on the hub. In my case the wheels are Torque Thrust II and the application is a 1969 Corvette.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I would only use wheels that have the correct machined hub size or use hubcentric rings. They fill in the gaps between the bearing hub and the wheel so you have a tight fit. It helps the wheels stay in the true center. The beveled holes in the wheels are the main way the wheel stays centered, but I would never use wheels that were not properly centered on the hub. Even my old Ford tractor has a hub centered wheel.

Ziad@LMR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ziad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hey guys! Ziad from LMR.com here. Hub rings are not needed for our wheels as they already have the correct bore size for the Mustang. Hub rings are needed for aftermarket wheels that are designed to fit a wide range of manufactures. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
^ This. Debatable weather you need them or not, depends on who you ask in my experience. They are cheap enough I don't see why you wouldn't use them.

I've never heard anything bad about hub rings, but I don't know many track guys. Any issues tracking wheels requiring hub rings? I'm still leaning towards forged wheels but have a few flow formed sets I like that would require hub rings, and that help the budget.

I have run on the track non hub centric wheels without a problem. I have had a wheel come off when using a plastic hub centering ring.

So my preference is:
Hub centric wheel
Metal hub centering ring
No hub centering ring
Throw plastic hub centering rings in the trash

Plastic rings are probably OK for the street, but as you don't need them, I don't think they are worth the risk.
Sponsored