Sponsored

Driveshaft vibration

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
I bought a used Driveshaft . Driveshaft vibrating over 60mph. Not to bad. I Noticed my mirror was shaking a little while on the highway. Put about 500 miles on the car since I had the driveshaft installed. I'm gonna get my driveshaft re clocked. Will the vibration cause any issues with anything else? Transmission, motor, rearend etc??? Thinking about putting the heavy stock driveshaft back in smh
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Assuming you bought an aftermarket used DS - what brand? There have been reports of some folks getting Brand-X and experiencing vibes, even after reclock attempts. Others have shimmed the trans mount based on another thread in here w/directions.

Yes, try reclocking it at the rear and you can also try at front flange as well. Start at rear first, make sure you mark the DS flange as well as the rear pinion flange so you know at what location/point you started at...

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Cool. I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow. Can it damage anything since its vibrating?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Cool. I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow. Can it damage anything since its vibrating?
It depends on how bad it’s vibrating, at what mph or RPM and how long it’s left off balance so to speak.

For instance, it could have detrimental effects on:
1) rear pinion bearing
2) adverse wear on diff. ring and pinion
3) adverse wear on transmission flange, seal or internal parts (depending on how bad the vibe is)
4) adverse wear on u-joints (or possibility or blowing them out, again depending on how bad the vibe is)
5) adverse wear on crankshaft and bearings (again depending on how bad or how long the vibe is left as such)

I mean sure, those are all worse case instances, but yes, premature wear on other driveline components could occur from an out of balance driveshaft, due to many variables as noted above.

If you’re catching it early and making corrections, you should be fine. If you knew and felt a bad vibe, ignored it, beat the snot out of the car and let it go for 20k+ miles, sure, you’re driveline would be more susceptible to premature parts wear/tear or even failures.

Mark it, clock it, drive it... try to feel at what mph/rpm the vibe is first present, where it continues to be present, where it’s at its worst and where it tapers off to be non-intrusive.

Check these threads, they may be very helpful to you:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73376

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74783