Sponsored

Supercharged cars and tailpipe emission testing

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Does anyone have any insight to supercharging and emissions testing? My state (AZ) utilizes tailpipe testing for emissions. I'm not concerned at this point, since its 5 years more until my car is due. More of a FYI type question at this point. I'm sure someone with a car more than 6 years old and supercharged could maybe shed some light? My main concern would be the larger injectors and increased fuel demand. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ggradtech

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
They won't check the tailpipe here. Just obd2 and gas cap check.
The last few times I've gone there with my 1997 F250 and 1999 4Runner, they had me rev the engine like 3 times to a high RPM. I thought they checked the tailpipe. Am I not remembering that part correctly?

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Any of the superchargers that have the 50 state certification should pass a tailpipe test no problem assuming the cats and tune from them are left intact.

Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Does anyone have any insight to supercharging and emissions testing? My state (AZ) utilizes tailpipe testing for emissions. I'm not concerned at this point, since its 5 years more until my car is due. More of a FYI type question at this point. I'm sure someone with a car more than 6 years old and supercharged could maybe shed some light? My main concern would be the larger injectors and increased fuel demand. Thanks.
Here in California ((strictest in the US), there is no tailpipe test for cars newer than 2000. They just check to make sure no check engine light is on and no codes stored, plus a visual check to be sure no non-certified parts are installed. That said, if Az will test your tailpipe and you do not check engine light/codes, you would still pass the sniffer test because the tuning is tame for idle/off idle. What blower do you have installed and is it the stock tune that was supplied with it? For comparison purposes, I had a Vortech on my 2011 GT and when I went to sell it, the smog test, with sniffer, came back super clean!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ggradtech

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Here in California ((strictest in the US), there is no tailpipe test for cars newer than 2000. They just check to make sure no check engine light is on and no codes stored, plus a visual check to be sure no non-certified parts are installed. That said, if Az will test your tailpipe and you do not check engine light/codes, you would still pass the sniffer test because the tuning is tame for idle/off idle. What blower do you have installed and is it the stock tune that was supplied with it? For comparison purposes, I had a Vortech on my 2011 GT and when I went to sell it, the smog test, with sniffer, came back super clean!
Mine is Lund custom tuned with a 2.3 Magnuson TV'S. Similar to the blowers installed on the 2013-2014 GT500s.

Super Werty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT
The last few times I've gone there with my 1997 F250 and 1999 4Runner, they had me rev the engine like 3 times to a high RPM. I thought they checked the tailpipe. Am I not remembering that part correctly?
That's because your cars are older. They have an express lane for Cars with obd2 now.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
With a proper tune, you should pass that with FLYING colors.

The hard part to pass with big injectors, isn't part of any test a consumer like you would ever have to do.

yonson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 A10 401A, '16 RCSB 5.0
Don't forget that all the readiness monitors have to be set as well... You can't just clear the codes and roll in and have the test done.

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
I just went through this emissions ordeal and finally passed yesterday. I had Lund give me an emissions tune that changed all of the monitors to stock settings and turned the rear O2 sensors on. I checked the IM Monitors as I drove on this tune and after a couple of days of driving around, they had all set to "Ready".

If your tuner doesn't have the rear O2's on or has something in the tune preventing the IM Monitors to ready themselves, you won't pass an OBDII emissions test.

Sponsored

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I just went through this emissions ordeal and finally passed yesterday. I had Lund give me an emissions tune that changed all of the monitors to stock settings and turned the rear O2 sensors on. I checked the IM Monitors as I drove on this tune and after a couple of days of driving around, they had all set to "Ready".

If your tuner doesn't have the rear O2's on or has something in the tune preventing the IM Monitors to ready themselves, you won't pass an OBDII emissions test.
That depends. There's two different ways to "turn them off".

Most tuners do it in a way that reads not ready. If you ask specifically for it, they can also write the tune so that the rear O2s read "not supported" and you pass. I didn't even have rear O2s plugged in to my 06GT after I did long tubes and the O2 heater circut wouldn't complete. We turned off all OBD2 monitors except for the required few and it was good to go.

Edit : Here's that inspection sheet. Notice how everything is "not supported"

yonson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That depends. There's two different ways to "turn them off".

Most tuners do it in a way that reads not ready. If you ask specifically for it, they can also write the tune so that the rear O2s read "not supported" and you pass. I didn't even have rear O2s plugged in to my 06GT after I did long tubes and the O2 heater circut wouldn't complete. We turned off all OBD2 monitors except for the required few and it was good to go.

Edit : Here's that inspection sheet. Notice how everything is "not supported"
The bad thing about changing them to not supported is if you get a smog tech that knows what they are doing (MOST in CA and states that follow CARB. do), they will fail you for this, and you might get sent to the ref...

Last edited:

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
The bad thing about changing them to not supported is if you get a smog tech that knows what they are doing (MOST in CA and states that follow CARB. do), they will fail you for this, and you might get sent to the ref...
The inspection guys here knew and all laughed. They didn't give a shit - as long as the machine says pass, they are clear of any wrong doing really.

yonson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The inspection guys here knew and all laughed. They didn't give a shit - as long as the machine says pass, they are clear of any wrong doing really.
That's cool and all, but not all shops are that lax about it, they are Federal regulations after all...

OP
OP
Ggradtech

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I spoke with Lund. They do turn off the rear O2 sensors in their (at least my) custom tunes. They can make a seperate tune that turns them back on. I guess I could go to emission testing with that "O2 sensor on tune" installed and then just reinstall the original custom tune afterwards.
Sponsored