DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
I just wanted to give a quick post to share my experience having my 2.9L Whipple kit remotely tuned.. This is in NO way a bash on ANY tuner, These are my findings, and my experiences as a paying customer.. And this isn't dyno numbers.. But driveability, which is huge as I daily falkkor and to be honest, Haven't had time to get to the track, or a dyno regularly. So - It's what I'll share.

Quick run down on the car.

2.9L Tuner kit
ID1000
BAP
3.75 Pulley cause California sucks
Big TB
long tube headers/ corsa

When the car was NA - I utilized Livernois, Absolutely LOVED Their tune.. Given they will not do a remote tune on a supercharger they didn't install, I was needing an option.

Still NA - I switched over to Lund @ his nGauge. Fantastic tune, Loved it - Felt like an absolute solid choice to go with as a remote tuner for when I install the whipple..

Fast forward to the first tune from Lund for the car, It was Good - But kind of lightswitchy on the bottom, Quite a bit of deaccel backfire (Can sound cool, can get obnoxious daily driving) But - Overall, Car felt real strong - I did get to dyno this tune and it made 615/508...

Lower then expected, But - was told it was a stingy dyno, blah blah - who cares. Just a number. Driveabillity was what I was after with the most power possible..

So, I got with Lund and mentioned an issue we saw on the datalog @ The dynoshop with the throttle plate backing down for 600 rpms, He sent me a revision, Felt great - Felt a bit strong. Was solid.

Lund mentions he's got a new tune for, Says it's an absolute pleasure to drive.. SO, Load said tune.. And he's right! Car is silky smooth everywhere, Pulls hard and is an absolute pleasure to drive. Smooth as butta! Felt stronger than his first tune too..No deaccel pop! Yes!

After driving on this Tune for a couple weeks, I got a wild hair up my ass and wanted to turn it up - I wanted MAXHP...

I went over to Ken Bjonnes/Palm Beach Dyno as I saw a fellow member was getting good results with Ken and he seemed pretty responsive and willing to turn the wick up..

Kens tune was great, felt really similar to the first tune on the car - but a bit stronger, Still light switchy on the bottom, an amazing mid range and the top end was pretty wild. Overall, a good tune - but daily driving wasn't as pleasant.. Also - A lot of deaccel popping/backfiring..

After a month on Kens tune, I was getting pretty tired of the light switch behavior, It's just not what I want or need out of the car..

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Back to Lunds latest revision I've gone... It's just soooooo Smooth.. If you're tuned by Lund with a Whipple, I'd send him a PM and ensure you have his latest. It's a real treat.

I know this is probably all over the board and may not be clear, But - I just wanted to share my experience with tuning my car. Both Lund and Ken have been a pleasure to work with. Answered all my questions, and delivered a great product.
Sponsored

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
That is actually the complete opposite of my experience. My tune from Ken is a lot smoother. I also have around 30 logs of each tune and dyno comparisons. Also, having compared Lund's logs to Whipple's cal logs; whipple's cal FTW!

OP
OP
DiEzel

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
That is actually the complete opposite of my experience. My tune from Ken is a lot smoother. I also have around 30 logs of each tune and dyno comparisons. Also, having compared Lund's logs to Whipple's cal logs; whipple's cal FTW!
Of course Whipple's cal FTW.. I just can't go that direction - The fuel system is calling my name.

I know you were with Lund as well, The tune he has now is Silky, Silky smooth - But, Again! These were my findings!

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
thanks for the write up Ray ill consider both since i still have the n gauge and might contact Ken if i need more power down the road

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I've heard Lund's latest Whipple tune is on point! Ken's got Max HP down for sure. Not sure I'm willing to invest another $800+ into a Lund tune though...
we just did an upgrade on a local whipple and the customer is extremely happy with his lund tune

now were on to upgrading to e85 and stepping it up even more

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Lund also has the ghost cam Whipple tune last I checked..

Dolsvt00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
Just throwing this out there, most of you guys just cant grasp the concept that you need to provide good info to tuners if your doing any remote tuning. Most of the time issues like this are fixed by accident rather than intent, and its still not right you just don't feel it anymore or its less noticeable.

You have to provide good logs in the area of the problem, and sometimes more than one or two. and you need to log the correct parameters, AND look at your freking logs before you just arbitrarily send them to make sure you grabbed something and not send a spreadsheet full of garbage that nobody can do anything with.

Most of you guys dont understand that when ford makes a pcm they make a warehouse full of them with the same tune if its the same pcm code. They don't tune each individual car, its cookie cutter just like when you guys do cookie cutter mods. If there's 15-20 cars with the same mods tuned by the same tuner on the same cars and 20 of them have no issues but you do, its not the tune. You have installed something improperly or have leaks, or something is just wrong and tuning it out is just a band aid that will eventually rear its ugly head and in worst case damage something.

Alternately if there's 15-20 cars with the same problem on the same setup, its most likely the tune and not install error or leak.

I don't have a dog in this fight and im not loyal to any tuner, im simply stating experience. 70% of the time its not the tune on cookie cutter setups, and those that jump tuners for an issue on a common setup eventually end up on forums talking about blown motors or bad cylinders and blaming the tune when it was actually their own fault, because they jumped tuners trying to band aid their own problem.
Sponsored