Sponsored

'17 Mustang GT vs. Buick Regal AWD?!?

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Was stopped at a stop-light with my wife and son in the vehicle, enjoying the beautiful day and minding our own business. A grey Buick pulls up right beside me.

As soon as the light turned green, the Buick took off. Not wanting to be undone, I punched it right away but I could not believe that the Buick got jump on me!

He was one car length ahead of me to 30 mph, primarily due to Buick being AWD and the fact that he jumped the gun as soon as the lights turned green and he caught me by surprise.

By the end of 2nd gear, I'm above the speed limit and have caught up to him, and by the 3rd gear, bye bye Buick.

Still couldn't believe that these Buicks are quite quick. True that he got the jump on me and I didn't expect a Buick to do that but still.
Sponsored

STEVO 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
AWD off the line is tough to battle on the street, especially the beaten garbage roads in my area. I do miss surprising folks in my old STI from a stop, but the Mustang is so much more fun and approximately 47X better looking, IMO.

I catch lot's of people off guard in my Explorer Sport. She's pretty quick off the line without any attention inducing drama.

*** The above statements are for 0-speed limit driving only ***

RNMAAS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible CS
Was stopped at a stop-light with my wife and son in the vehicle, enjoying the beautiful day and minding our own business. A grey Buick pulls up right beside me.

As soon as the light turned green, the Buick took off. Not wanting to be undone, I punched it right away but I could not believe that the Buick got jump on me!

He was one car length ahead of me to 30 mph, primarily due to Buick being AWD and the fact that he jumped the gun as soon as the lights turned green and he caught me by surprise.

By the end of 2nd gear, I'm above the speed limit and have caught up to him, and by the 3rd gear, bye bye Buick.

Still couldn't believe that these Buicks are quite quick. True that he got the jump on me and I didn't expect a Buick to do that but still.
The 2018 Buick Regal GS should be pretty quick. It will have 310 HP, a 9 speed auto with AWD. It won't be Mustang GT quick, but should move along pretty nicely. It's made by Opel in Germany.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
AWD off the line is tough to battle on the street, especially the beaten garbage roads in my area. I do miss surprising folks in my old STI from a stop, but the Mustang is so much more fun and approximately 47X better looking, IMO.

I catch lot's of people off guard in my Explorer Sport. She's pretty quick off the line without any attention inducing drama.

*** The above statements are for 0-speed limit driving only ***
My Ford Edge with AWD is spectacular off the line, not much to brag about soon after but has surprised many.

In snow, it's the Mustang GT of winter. :D

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I don't think street racing stories are allowed to be posted here. You may want to alter your post just an FYI.

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The new Regal GS weighs... wait for it...

..4,200 LBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Ebm

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
I am not one for racing someone with a wife and kid in the car, literally saw that same scenario with a dude in a 392 Challenger scat pack trying to goad me to race we ended up on the highway he floored it on the on ramp and was going about 130 I got up to 100 way behind him but I didn't want to race him. He was driving way to fast for 3 people in the car. And I race anything and everything that wants to just not that.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
The new Regal GS weighs... wait for it...

..4,200 LBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AWD cars are heavy because of the AWD drive-trains on both front and back.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Anything with moderate power and AWD will be hard to beat off the line in a RWD car, no matter how much power.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
My TT SHO Taurus with an LMS tune astounded many higher performance cars thinking it was an old man's tank. Think again. And the ride. With the PP pack it was a true muscle car.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So you got treed by a buick.. nuff said right there :lol:

OP
OP

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I am not one for racing someone with a wife and kid in the car, literally saw that same scenario with a dude in a 392 Challenger scat pack trying to goad me to race we ended up on the highway he floored it on the on ramp and was going about 130 I got up to 100 way behind him but I didn't want to race him. He was driving way to fast for 3 people in the car. And I race anything and everything that wants to just not that.
I see a lot of judgement which is quite amusing.

No one was racing.

We were both on a merging lane to get on a freeway. Both were stopped at a red light. Both accelerated, let's just say, enthusiastically without endangering anyone.

Happy motoring.

:cheers:

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Like my last Mustang it seems everybody wants to race it, mom's in mini-vans, or maybe more likely they are just always in a hurry to drive fast while doing their hair, makeup and catching up on facebook at 70mph....

I just choose not to race people now, cops around my area must have gotten a huge boost in gas money because they're suddenly everywhere!

I was next to a new ZR1 last week, he showed no interest, just gave me a thumbs up, I did so in kind. Sure enough, had we gone at it we would have been caught just a short way down the road were cops.

Also, maybe because I'm heading into old fart territory I am enjoying the gas mpg of this beast. :eek:
Sponsored