Sponsored

Is there anything you would change with the Bullitt

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
To be a TRUE Bullitt car they should have removed visual aspects from a GT, not added them. McQueen was obviously trying to make a more subtle looking car. Ford did just the opposite.

Change/Remove
1. Faux gas cap (looks even worse in person)
2. Red calipers
3. Extra chrome trim. grille & windows
4. Grille should be stock except for the pony.

The only things Ford did right visually were to remove the pony & the 5.0 emblem and paint it Highland Green. Although a color closer to the original would've looked better.
The original car had Chrome trim.

I mostly agree with the rest though. The gas cap should be blacked out. A piece of black vinyl can fix that. Or remove it with a FRPP rear trim delete.
Sponsored

OP
OP
boomee

boomee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wanting a Bullitt
I know this is sacrilegious but I prefer this current paint vs the original. I'm curious if you can remove the faux gas cap and have Bullitt on the rear in black similar to how the Roush and sales cars have it more subtle sleeper like it understated.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
1. PP2 wheels

2. Available A10 transmission

3. black trim/black out emblems on the black version.
So 2 color versions: standard green with chrome trim, and a blacked out/stealth/sleeper version.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
1. PP2 wheels

2. Available A10 transmission

3. black trim/black out emblems on the black version.
So 2 color versions: standard green with chrome trim, and a blacked out/stealth/sleeper version.
A Mustang will never be "sleeper".

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
The original car had Chrome trim.
That's exactly my point. Thank you.

The original car had Chrome trim and McQueen didn't black it out. He left it stock. Back then chrome was the norm so it wasn't considered flashy. Today, extra chrome stands out.

The car should be stealthy, not scream "look at me" with a HUGE 'badge', chrome trim, and red brake calipers.

Sponsored

DB23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T 200A Auto Ingot
Blank rear deck lid for sure.
Black or silver calipers (for the DHG car at least, I dig the red on the SB car).
Maybe make the digital gauges part of the electronics pack for those who like analog.
And there’s nothing wrong with offering an a10 option for this in 2018 imho.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
That's exactly my point. Thank you.

The original car had Chrome trim and McQueen didn't black it out. He left it stock. Back then chrome was the norm so it wasn't considered flashy. Today, extra chrome stands out.

The car should be stealthy, not scream "look at me" with a HUGE 'badge', chrome trim, and red brake calipers.
But it's not about what the original car was INTENDED to be, it's about being LIKE the original car.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Hate the red calipers, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Don't like, but understand the faux gas cap.

If you're going to do the chrome, it needs the piece that the original had on the trunk.

The wheels suck, but I never liked the original wheels, so again, I'm OK with it.

The paint looks pretty close to the three older (1968, 2001, 2008) versions I saw with it at Knott's. I thought it was going to be greener and pop more than it did.

Conclusion: Get black calipers, make a piece of chrome for the trunk lid/surround and it would look like a proper Bullitt.

P.S. I'm probably not getting one, as my wife needs and wants to be able to drive it, needs an automatic!

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
VW Touareg TDI, Lincoln MKZ, F-350 TD
Possibly brake calipers in Highland Green instead of the "standout" red.

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
... I want to see 19" versions of the wheels on my 08 Bullitt and I think I'll forever be SOL on that one.
I believe the problem is that you need a significantly greater offset to move the 255/40/19 rubber of the 2019 inside the body work than for the 2008's 235/50/18 tires. That can't be done with the spokes and keep wheel strength without placing a bow in the spoke.

I'm like you, really prefer the look of the orignals and the 2008, but you'd likely need to go back to a 235 or smaller cross-section.

Sponsored

Stoughton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Bullitt
I believe the problem is that you need a significantly greater offset to move the 255/40/19 rubber of the 2019 inside the body work than for the 2008's 235/50/18 tires. That can't be done with the spokes and keep wheel strength without placing a bow in the spoke.

I'm like you, really prefer the look of the orignals and the 2008, but you'd likely need to go back to a 235 or smaller cross-section.
I've got 275 in the front and 285 in the back. Adding 1" to the backspacing worked wonders :D

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
Im sure that it can be done, but will it pass Ford's legal department?

I used to own a 1995 BMW M3 that took two National titles running 265/35/18's up front (stock was 235/40/17). Because we were running larger rotors (2019 Bullitt rotors appear to be ~1" larger than the 2008), it required backspacing the rims and using spacers.

I haven't looked at the details (what little there are) of the 2019 brakes, but my sense from looking at American Racing's info on the 2008 style wheels is that the adjustments needed to fit the 2019 wouldn't fly past the liability lawyers. You'd be surprised how much performance is compromised by such very real constraints unfortunately.

Not saying that is the case, just my thinking after looking last week at the data on the original American Racing's wheels and trying to see if they could be made to work.

I suppose we'll find out shortly after the first production ones start rolling out the doors. I'm crossing my fingers that there will be a way to make them work without sacrificing anything. Time will tell.

Cornbinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT Velocity Blue (460 HP) '78 Lincoln (460 CID
Fully agree on red brake calipers getting 86'ed for black or DHG.

I've owned enough cars with REAL American Racing TorqThrust D's; they're flat dark gray, not black. I foresee never washing the wheels on mine (and only polishing the rim) to give 'em that grungy gray look. Then again, I'm also a don't-like-black-wheels kind of guy.

Shrink the fakeydoo gas cap and put a 1968-like rear panel perimeter chrome molding to echo the grille surround, as I really like the chrome window surrounds.

With all the buzz when it debuted at NAIAS about the 163 MPH top end, I was hoping that the gearing would be a little taller (3.55 Torsen diff from the A10 PP1 cars) on the base package - making PP1 &/or PP2 optional. I'm mostly going to use mine as a freeway road trip car in the Midwest (i.e. 75 to 80 MPH posted speed limit states) so longer legs would be preferable. But I'll get over it.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I personally don't mind the wheels being black but anyone that has objections could plasti-dip them gray for very little money and if you really like the look, powder coating is always an option.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
But it's not about what the original car was INTENDED to be, it's about being LIKE the original car.
And that's where Ford screwed up and that's what I would change. It should be in the same spirit as the original car to be, IMO, a Bullitt Mustang.
Sponsored