Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Interesting post from Steve Sandford Design on FB.

Now, the validity of the rumour is open to question but, as long as this was in addition to the fastback and convertible, I'd welcome it back to the Mustang family :)

https://www.facebook.com/Stevestanf...612864/1794404190582736/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

.Heard a rumor that Ford is quietly considering (allegedly!) a return of the original Mustang body style.... The Notchback. My source for this tells me they won't show him any info or drawings of the Concept, so I got curious myself and realized a Notchback wouldn't be that hard to visualize on my own. The tricky part is to keep the roof from looking too much like the Challenger roof. It comes down to the details. I put in several classic Mustang design cues from the '65/68 era to give a strong Heritage look to our steed. You know, this design works..... with an additional nod to today's realities, this would be a cool, fresh look to a new Mustang
Notch.jpg
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
It doesn't look bad, but something looks off... I can't put my finger on it though.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I dig it.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI

Sponsored

Snook66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT Grabber Blue
I don't know, looks like something that might last as long as that retro Thunderbird debacle.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I don't know, looks like something that might last as long as that retro Thunderbird debacle.
I still insist that with a nice 5 or 6spd manual that would have been a fine car. More so if it had launched with the 280HP engine.

If they had a manual option I'd look at one to toss an exhaust and set of gears in for a fun ride.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Not into it. Same as the old ones which I wouldn't want to own.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
It's not a bad sketch.

It doesn't look bad, but something looks off... I can't put my finger on it though.
Your right, its the incongruent design features of the rear hop up in relation to the window opening (DLO).

I think if the designer resolved that feature then it would be a winner! :thumbsup:
Notch.jpg

Reactions: Ebm

Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Interesting post from Steve Sandford Design on FB.

Now, the validity of the rumour is open to question but, as long as this was in addition to the fastback and convertible, I'd welcome it back to the Mustang family :)

https://www.facebook.com/Stevestanf...612864/1794404190582736/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

.Heard a rumor that Ford is quietly considering (allegedly!) a return of the original Mustang body style.... The Notchback. My source for this tells me they won't show him any info or drawings of the Concept, so I got curious myself and realized a Notchback wouldn't be that hard to visualize on my own. The tricky part is to keep the roof from looking too much like the Challenger roof. It comes down to the details. I put in several classic Mustang design cues from the '65/68 era to give a strong Heritage look to our steed. You know, this design works..... with an additional nod to today's realities, this would be a cool, fresh look to a new Mustang
Steve Sandford you need to look to the Fox Mustang Notch for your design inspiration. If Ford could pull that design concept off, with a de-contented option list(i.e cheaper than the current GT), that would set the world on fire.

We could call it the "LX Mustang":D

Last edited:

757DRVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I think it's not a bad idea. Another option that goes back to the roots of the original. I like the fastback better, but there may be a market that would prefer the notch back.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
If it looks like my first Mustang, a 1989 notch back fox body, I would buy one.

Yes I was a thin product of the 80's glasses, short shorts, and all.
1989 Mustang.jpg

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
I don’t hate it, but the fastback roofline works better for the S550 generation IMO.
Sponsored