Sponsored

A10 PP1 vs PP2

howlins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1, 401A, 10R80, Magneride, Active exhaust, Oxford White
Had the chance to drive and get on the new 10R80 finally, and it is really good! Kinda wishing they would allow you to run it on the PP2 pack however thats not the case so im in a debate on which to go with.

One of the biggest things i love about the PP2 is the wheel/tire combo, but it also makes it something that im not sure about for daily driving. Having such wide tires on all four might make for an unpleasant ride? Also been seeing the average life on those tires is roughly 6-7k miles? Anyone who has some experience with this please chime in. I also love the front splitter, but again on a DD is it going to scrape on everything i come across? i seen one guy on here who's car looked pretty banged up on delivery.

On the PP1 with 10R80, i can still add the magneride and tweak the suspension down the road for a more aggressive ride, as well as change the wheel/tire combo or pickup a set for track use and keep a more DD friendly setup with the stock setup. Obviously the a10 is faster straight line and from driving it, probably pretty close on a track, but with the right trans tuning maybe faster there as well.

Open to any and all suggestions, anyone have the same debate, or done one and wish they done the other?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I just want to say how a car is handled on the trucks/transport process is what determines how it looks at delivery. The car you're referencing being banged up was the white one IIRC. It didn't even have the front splitter on so that would have happened to a regular base car most likely. Without lowering, I don't think you'd have to worry much about scraping unless you deal with decent inclines (steep driveway?) on a regular basis.

Another option could be buying the A10 PP1 and ordering the PP2 wheels (or something similar like the RTR Tech 5 or 7) with a higher treadwear tire.

OP
OP
howlins550

howlins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just want to say how a car is handled on the trucks/transport process is what determines how it looks at delivery. The car you're referencing being banged up was the white one IIRC. It didn't even have the front splitter on so that would have happened to a regular base car most likely. Without lowering, I don't think you'd have to worry much about scraping unless you deal with decent inclines (steep driveway?) on a regular basis.

Another option could be buying the A10 PP1 and ordering the PP2 wheels (or something similar like the RTR Tech 5 or 7) with a higher treadwear tire.
Ya i was referencing the white one, wasnt sure if that happened coming off the truck because the car sits another half inch lower, which doesnt sound like much but it may have been enough to cause the damage?

I definitely thought about the PP1 with different wheels too, but the PP2 has a quite stiffer suspension and different calibration on the steering and dampers. This im sure could be done in the aftermarket with sways and springs but having it included is nice from the factory.

STex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67,69 ram air and 72 GTO
Had the chance to drive and get on the new 10R80 finally, and it is really good! Kinda wishing they would allow you to run it on the PP2 pack however thats not the case so im in a debate on which to go with.

One of the biggest things i love about the PP2 is the wheel/tire combo, but it also makes it something that im not sure about for daily driving. Having such wide tires on all four might make for an unpleasant ride? Also been seeing the average life on those tires is roughly 6-7k miles? Anyone who has some experience with this please chime in. I also love the front splitter, but again on a DD is it going to scrape on everything i come across? i seen one guy on here who's car looked pretty banged up on delivery.

On the PP1 with 10R80, i can still add the magneride and tweak the suspension down the road for a more aggressive ride, as well as change the wheel/tire combo or pickup a set for track use and keep a more DD friendly setup with the stock setup. Obviously the a10 is faster straight line and from driving it, probably pretty close on a track, but with the right trans tuning maybe faster there as well.

Open to any and all suggestions, anyone have the same debate, or done one and wish they done the other?

I maybe wrong, but I did not think you could get the mag ride on PP1.

Also some of my friends are into drag racing, They say the 10 sp trans on the GT is into the 11s stock? Going thru thru the traps in 7th gear ?

OP
OP
howlins550

howlins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I maybe wrong, but I did not think you could get the mag ride on PP1.

Also some of my friends are into drag racing, They say the 10 sp trans on the GT is into the 11s stock? Going thru thru the traps in 7th gear ?
You can get the magneride on PP1 cars, and yes the auto has run a best time of 11.8 @119.5

Sponsored

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
i had the same problem. but in the end i went with PP2 and it will be my DD. the only concern i have overall is the life of the tires that come on it, but so be it if i have to buy tires sooner rather than later. not like you have to stick with those exact tires forever. The lowness of the car is negligible to me. if you already thinking about lowering it then whats the difference if you get it from the factory that low or not. scraping is bound to happen even on a stock ride height mustang. all depends on the roads and where you take it.

if you look at cost, if you want an auto PP1 w/ magnaride you're paying more than if you get a PP2. so if cost is a factor, then PP2 is the way to go. (again, minus the tire cost). i personally hate the PP1 wheels. i don't like black wheels and the amount of spokes has my hands cramping just thinking about cleaning them. now i do like the PP1 spoiler better than the PP2, but thats something easily rectified and cheaper than changing out wheels.

in the end, i just had to decide if i wanted the auto or the manual and whichever one i wanted, made my decision on the pp1/2. And as i said, I went PP2.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
the summary is this:

PP1+a10 will be a bit quicker in the 1/4, PP2 will be a bit quicker at the road course.

Do you want straight line or cornering?

Or get a PP1 A10 then add PP2 parts later.

OP
OP
howlins550

howlins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the summary is this:

PP1+a10 will be a bit quicker in the 1/4, PP2 will be a bit quicker at the road course.

Do you want straight line or cornering?

Or get a PP1 A10 then add PP2 parts later.
Out of the factory the pp2 is faster on track, but mainly because of those tires and stiffer suspension which could be swapped out. The biggest debate im having is which transmission, i was dead set on the pp2 with manual but after seeing how good the 10r80 is, idk.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Out of the factory the pp2 is faster on track, but mainly because of those tires and stiffer suspension which could be swapped out. The biggest debate im having is which transmission, i was dead set on the pp2 with manual but after seeing how good the 10r80 is, idk.
I'd be surprised if the PP2 is able to run high 11's in stock form. Best I've seen from manual PP1 is like a 12.1-2 I think even the Shelby's are doing high 11's with about 60 horses more.

On a road course I wouldn't expect an auto tranny to hit the gearing I want when entering and exiting a corner properly. Sure the up shifts may be quicker but you have to hit 2-3 gears down each you can't skip them like you can in a manual.

OP
OP
howlins550

howlins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i dont think the pp2 would run in the 11's out of the factory, it doesnt have any more power and still has manual transmission. It might out run the pp1 manual tho with a better tire to get out the hole faster, but it wasnt designed to run the quarter faster, it was meant to turn and handle better. Shaving off 3.5 sec over the pp1 on track is a huge improvement.

As for the a10, that was one of my biggest fears was not being able to get the gear i want when i want it but after driving it, i must say that thing is very track capable. In sport mode the down shift with paddle seems quicker than doing it manually. Left in normal drive mode and put on sport+ or track, the transmission finds the gears needed very quickly and efficiently.

Personally i would love to see Ford allow you to pick the transmission for a PP2, everything im seeing so far says that the new GT500 is going to get an auto option as well, so why not let that be the case across the whole GT platform

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I for the life of me just can't fathom why anyone would rather have an automatic over a manual in a sport coupe unless your primary purpose is straight line speed. I know the auto is going to be quicker in the 1/4, particularly if you put a stall on it. Any true drag car has an auto w/ stall. And, some who will daily it in heavy traffic might also have a legit reason. But, IMO there is nothing better than rowing through the gears. I've driven enough autos with the paddles. There's just no comparison when you are looking at the fun factor.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
I'm in the same quandary. I like the A10 for daily driving and so my wife could use the car if need be ever. But I like the PP2 wheels and stiffer/lower suspension.

If I was buying right now, I'd probably order a PP1, 401a, mangeride, with active exhaust.
Then look for an aftermarket set of wheels or PP2 take offs if they become common place like the PP1 take offs are.

OP
OP
howlins550

howlins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I for the life of me just can't fathom why anyone would rather have an automatic over a manual in a sport coupe unless your primary purpose is straight line speed. I know the auto is going to be quicker in the 1/4, particularly if you put a stall on it. Any true drag car has an auto w/ stall. And, some who will daily it in heavy traffic might also have a legit reason. But, IMO there is nothing better than rowing through the gears. I've driven enough autos with the paddles. There's just no comparison when you are looking at the fun factor.

And this is where my debate comes in, i agree that its a better feeling/more fun to row your own gears, but with the advances of auto's, they are getting faster around tracks too. Ford and GM claim this 10spd is faster than Porsche's PDK, and if you look at what cars run the fastest around the tracks, they are usually autos now

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Well driving an auto in rush hour traffic is a reason. 6 speeds suck in traffic.