JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Switches

Can you clarify what you are saying here. Because the GT350 doesnt have a mode switch on the center bezel. So by changing it out you would have Launch Control button, Active Exhaust button. How would you then change the drive mode. Would you hit the active exhaust button and then it would activate the different drive modes because it is in the same spot as the old button was?
GT vs 350 Console Switches
C5BF18F2-2267-4CB7-A17B-C80FB375F069.jpeg
587467CE-01CA-4D24-BE78-5B4A9EA520F9.jpeg
Sponsored

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I believe you can change Modes through the Info Display, but we need someone who owns a 350 to chime in here.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I believe you can change Modes through the Info Display, but we need someone who owns a 350 to chime in here.
You change modes through the info display (IPC) on the regular cars too, the switch is just in a different location (FCIM vs. SCCM by way of steering wheel.)

What I think everyone needs to keep in mind here is that the CAN signals sent by each switch must be different. I would guess that this is most likely due to the fact that the bezel switch scrolls in one direction only, whereas the steering wheel buttons can go in either direction.

The IPC is listening for a particular signal that isn't there. I am curious what would happen if you programmed your IPC as I mentioned in my link above, like we have to do on Base cars that have been upgraded to Sync3 and the Premium bezel. When you first swap, the modes don't work until you modify the IPC as-built.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Whats would happen if we just put in the as build data for a PP cluster into the GT350. Would everything possibly work then for a PP car?
You could try it, but you're likely to get invalid configuration errors. I wouldn't go that far, make sure you you have a backup plan to revert everything. That's a shotgun approach to surgery.

When I was playing with as-built to see if you can enable the GT350 digital speedo in my GTPP, I tried literally every difference from the GT350 and my car in the IPC. None of it worked, a lot of it returned invalid config. I did them all individually though, to make sure I could isolate it.

Again, I would try the specific as-built that I referenced in this thread earlier. We already know that it enables whatever is in the IPC that listens for the mode switch in the FCIM.

IPC 720-06-01 xxxx xxxx x8xx

I checked a 350 as-built file I have, and there's an E instead of an 8 in that position. Base cars have a 0 instead of 8. So there's for sure something going on there.

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Here's another theory for what's going on with the drive modes:

Let's assume the IPC is in charge of setting the mode. The FCIM or SCCM is in charge of sending the signal to change the mode. The PCM and ABS are responsible for implementing the mode and reporting back "success" to the IPC. The IPC then displays that the mode has changed.

Normal operation: FCIM/SCCM sends 'change mode' signal over CAN. IPC hears this, looks for what the next mode should be in the rotation. IPC sends a signal over CAN "set mode profile to D." ABS hears this signal and reports back "mode profile successfully set to D" and PCM does similar. IPC hears this and flashes on the center screen that the mode has changed.

Broken operation: FCIM/SCCM sends 'change mode' signal over CAN. IPC hears this, looks for what the next mode should be in the rotation. IPC sends a signal over CAN "set mode profile to K." ABS hears this signal and has no idea what mode profile K is, because that's a profile for a GT350 and this is a GT. ABS reports back "mode profile change failed" and PCM does similar. IPC hears this and doesn't put up anything on the center screen, just silently fails.

[MENTION=28081]HextallS550[/MENTION] does this sound about right?

If this is the problem, unfortunately the only fix may be flashing custom firmware on one or a combination of the IPC, PCM, and ABS.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Before installing the 350 IPC, I did a quick examination of the circuit boards. The primary noticeable difference is the lack of PRNDS LEDs in the 350 Panel. I never observed a GT Manual, so does the Manual have a PRNDS at the Bottom of the Info Display between the Turn Signals?

Anyways, there are IC differences and other parts. It may be the ICs have Firmware that can’t be written to.

What would really help is if someone in a 350 were to swap for an ‘18 12 Inch LCD IPC. If that worked, that would solve all my problems.

The ‘18 IPC without the 12 Inch LCD does have Digital Speed in the Info Display, Standard.

Although the 12 Inch IPC is pretty neat, I would only get it if it worked in a 350, or I were going to swap my engine and Transmission to the 10 Speed Auto with Dual Injection. Then I’d use th 350 IM and Throttle Body like the Bullitt.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
My friend installed the 350 Steering and Mode Switch in the Steering Wheel. Of course it does nothing but the Voice it did before, but he has all the othe 350 components in the interior and wanted it to match.

That’s the problem with changing those controls. It moves the Phone over to the Cruise side. You could get really confused if you didn’t plan this out properly.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Before installing the 350 IPC, I did a quick examination of the circuit boards. The primary noticeable difference is the lack of PRNDS LEDs in the 350 Panel. I never observed a GT Manual, so does the Manual have a PRNDS at the Bottom of the Info Display between the Turn Signals?

Anyways, there are IC differences and other parts. It may be the ICs have Firmware that can’t be written to.
I don't believe the manual IPC has the PRNDS at the bottom, they're different part numbers.

Given that people have successfully flashed GT350 IPC firmware to their regular IPC's, I would say that your observation that there is very little difference between the two units is correct.

What would really help is if someone in a 350 were to swap for an ‘18 12 Inch LCD IPC. If that worked, that would solve all my problems.
How so?

The ‘18 IPC without the 12 Inch LCD does have Digital Speed in the Info Display, Standard.
I did not know that, are you sure? If so, it's probably a matter of time before we figure out how to flash the '18 IPC firmware to our 15-17' IPCs in order to turn on the digital speedometer.

My friend installed the 350 Steering and Mode Switch in the Steering Wheel. Of course it does nothing but the Voice it did before, but he has all the othe 350 components in the interior and wanted it to match.

That’s the problem with changing those controls. It moves the Phone over to the Cruise side. You could get really confused if you didn’t plan this out properly.
The part he's missing is probably the SCCM.

Again, the pads on the steering wheel are "dumb" so to speak and only create resistances in a circuit. The SCCM is what interprets those resistances and sends signals over CAN to the other modules like the IPC.

So by switching the pads, some of the resistance values that map to functions on the SCCM may still work, but they may do the wrong action or nothing at all.

To say nothing of the fact that the other modules in the car (PCM, ABS) simply can't understand the modes that the IPC is trying to set, like I posited in my earlier post. So even if you have a GT350 IPC+SCCM+FCIM working in harmony, it may not mean much if you don't have a GT350 PCM and ABS.

On top of that, the GT350 drive modes affect the MagneRide and exhaust I'm sure, I don't even know what the modules for that are called or if their functions are rolled into another module like the BCM.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I think he swapped his GT Circuit Board in the Center Console with the 350 Board to keep the 350 look and have the GT Modes Work. He never intended for the Magneride and Active Exhaust to work because he doesn’t have the Shocks and his exhaust is a Stainless Works Header and Quad Exhaust going through the 350 Rear Valence.

He has the brakes and wheels, so his conversion is complete and very impressive from an appearance standpoint. That’s also why he doesn’t have the SCCM. He doesn’t need it.

I can’t remember now if he did the 350 Cluster, or just changed the Chrome Bezel with the Satin Bezel.

That’s what I didn’t understand, until just today. I was thinking he changed to the 350 Center Circuit Board. He just swapped his Old Board in to the 350 Bezel, I believe.

I’m going to be doing the opposite and swapping the 350 Board into the GT Radio/Mode Bezel, which should make the GT Functions Work again with the 350 IPC. And, hopefully get back MyFordColor and stop the Driver’s Door Open Chime from continuously Ringing. I will only change the SCCM when I’m ready to install the Adaptive Cruise Control Switches. Otherwise, it will be too confusing on road trips this year. ACC will require Radar Installation and Changing the Windshield to add the Rain Sensor. That’s a project for next year, as it is close to last on the list of Options mods.

Sponsored
OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I seen a base 350 center stack but I cant find it again rip

The only thing that annoys me to death at this point is the door chiming.

Reactions: JWS

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Front & Back

I seen a base 350 center stack but I cant find it again rip

The only thing that annoys me to death at this point is the door chiming.
GT & 350 Boards - Don’t know which is which
50DF34E3-C29A-416B-93F5-4A7C84C868E8.jpeg

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Center Bezel and Board is about $650 plus Exchange Fee. Can’t remember what deal I got on mine from Ford Parts.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
The Active Exhaust and Magneride do have their own Control Modules.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
That’s what I didn’t understand, until just today. I was thinking he changed to the 350 Center Circuit Board. He just swapped his Old Board in to the 350 Bezel, I believe.
That wasn't making sense to me either, but it makes a bit more sense now. So does he not have a GT350 IPC? If he does have one, I don't understand why his drive modes work but it doesn't for the rest of you guys with a GT350 IPC + GT FCIM.

I’m going to be doing the opposite and swapping the 350 Board into the GT Radio/Mode Bezel, which should make the GT Functions Work again with the 350 IPC. And, hopefully get back MyFordColor and stop the Driver’s Door Open Chime from continuously Ringing. I will only change the SCCM when I’m ready to install the Adaptive Cruise Control Switches. Otherwise, it will be too confusing on road trips this year. ACC will require Radar Installation and Changing the Windshield to add the Rain Sensor. That’s a project for next year, as it is close to last on the list of Options mods.
I don't think you'll get anywhere by using a GT350 FCIM, since the GT350 FCIM doesn't control drive modes. The switch for the GT350 is on the steering wheel pad and doesn't go through the FCIM at all, it goes through the SCCM.
Sponsored