Sponsored

Black roof?

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm sure i spoke to a few guys who had factory black roof and it was actually a wrap? (one guy was adamant it was). I've not looked close enough to an OEM.
I always assumed it was a wrap too. It's not like they paint those stripes on from factory is it!
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I'm sure i spoke to a few guys who had factory black roof and it was actually a wrap? (one guy was adamant it was). I've not looked close enough to an OEM.
All the ones I've seen were painted and the finish is spot on, as you'd expect paint to be.

A wrap is easy to spot.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
All the ones I've seen were painted and the finish is spot on, as you'd expect paint to be.

A wrap is easy to spot.
don't disagree, but i'd like to get up close and see. I'd always assumed it was painted but i somewhat want to "prove" it to myself :lol:. And yes, a wrap doesn't have a glass like finish like paint does which is the easy tell tale.

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Cambridgeshire, formerly Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
owner of a CO with black roof from the factory it is most defo painted.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
don't disagree, but i'd like to get up close and see. I'd always assumed it was painted but i somewhat want to "prove" it to myself :lol:. And yes, a wrap doesn't have a glass like finish like paint does which is the easy tell tale.
Yeah the last meet we did, where we all met at that McDonalds in the morning, the guy with the grabber blue has a painted roof, Mac's is also a painted roof too I think and I remember looking real close at it, then my own, Enochs and yours and the difference is as you say, paint is glass like with no peel or other marks, whereas with all the wraps, up close you can tell they were a wrap. For me it kind of set of my OCD, but admittedly from a few feet away they are fine, the only time a wrap generally really stands out as a wrap is when the sun hits it at certain angles.

But a wrap is sub £100, Ford charge £500 and to have the roof professionally painted black would no doubt cost a few hundred for a factory quality job.

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the last meet we did, where we all met at that McDonalds in the morning, the guy with the grabber blue has a painted roof, Mac's is also a painted roof too I think and I remember looking real close at it, then my own, Enochs and yours and the difference is as you say, paint is glass like with no peel or other marks, whereas with all the wraps, up close you can tell they were a wrap. For me it kind of set of my OCD, but admittedly from a few feet away they are fine, the only time a wrap generally really stands out as a wrap is when the sun hits it at certain angles.

But a wrap is sub £100, Ford charge £500 and to have the roof professionally painted black would no doubt cost a few hundred for a factory quality job.
to be honest i got a roof paint quote of £250.... after i spent £150 wrapping it! :lol:

Was the blue one jasons? because he was one of the ones who was adamant it was wrapped :headbonk:

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
I just got another quote to wrap my roof for $400 and $220 to black out rear lights with tint :lol:

What do people smoke?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I just got another quote to wrap my roof for $400 and $220 to black out rear lights with tint :lol:

What do people smoke?
fuck me i need to up the cost of my tint kits from £30 to $150.

(Shameless plug, and they're smoking crack!)

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
Is it the same with stripes - better to get them painted on from the factory?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Is it the same with stripes - better to get them painted on from the factory?
Factory stripes are a bit "marmite" they're clear vinyl with print over them in dots to make them faded. There's also aftermarket stripes usually about £250 ish which you can get any style.

Proper painted stripes, i'll hand you over to [MENTION=26917]sheps5.0[/MENTION] who (tmk) is the only guy with them in the UK, they're perfect, but fuck me did it cost him for said perfection!!!!

Sponsored

sheps5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 2015 GT
Factory stripes are a bit "marmite" they're clear vinyl with print over them in dots to make them faded. There's also aftermarket stripes usually about £250 ish which you can get any style.

Proper painted stripes, i'll hand you over to [MENTION=26917]sheps5.0[/MENTION] who (tmk) is the only guy with them in the UK, they're perfect, but fuck me did it cost him for said perfection!!!!
Why thank you for the mention. My god it's no comparison. As I have no plans to sell this car I had to do it properly. The finish is just spectacular and up close it looks amazing if I do say so myself. :) A glass like finish with no edges at all where the colours meet. And yes they cost a small fortune but I'm so glad I did it.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why thank you for the mention. My god it's no comparison. As I have no plans to sell this car I had to do it properly. The finish is just spectacular and up close it looks amazing if I do say so myself. :) A glass like finish with no edges at all where the colours meet. And yes they cost a small fortune but I'm so glad I did it.
Makes sense, like you say no edges, no waterspots or stains to worry about.

You just gotta make sure you get the design/colour right first time, because won't be so easy to change if your not happy. ;)

Yes yours look amazing mate. :)