Sponsored

My wheels shortlist, have I got the fitment specs right?

Spoonex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Mustang GT
My eyes are bleeding after searching the forum for hours on end and reading through the 'Aggressive Fitment' thread, but I'm still not 100% sure on the fitment specs I should go for. Rather than post these questions in the Wheels & Tyres section I thought I'd ask my fellow Brits, because one of the main factors is going to be what I can source in the UK.

I want a set of 20", 7 spoke, concave wheels in black (satin or gloss is fine). Here's what I've narrowed my shortlist down to:

1) Project 6GR
+ Perfect fitment 20x10 ET35 & 20x11 ET50. Nice deep concavity front and rear.
- Need to be imported, which worries me if one turns up damaged. Does anyone have any experience of what kind of shipping and import duties would apply?

2) Judd T204
+ Made in UK (cheaper? & no import duties)
+ Look almost identical to 6GR, if not slightly better.
- Listed fitments only include 20x9 & 20x10.5, which makes the fronts look a bit flat. I recall [MENTION=24982]anubis[/MENTION] has 19x11 Judd T113R, which isn't advertised on their website. I contacted them a week or two ago to see if they have other sizes available for the T204 but I haven't heard anything back. I'll try phoning them once I get the specs sorted in my head! (Their social profiles haven't been updated since September 2017, so I hope they're still operating!)
- Will require stubby valves, as I read in [MENTION=23824]Nookie[/MENTION]'s thread.

3) Ferrada FR1
+ Gloss black lip with satin spokes looks pretty cool.
- Limited offset choices according to the menu on Nemesisuk.com. I believe [MENTION=19416]Guy@NemesisUK[/MENTION] is running ET28 square on the Nemesis-Mobile. Have I got my maths wrong or would this offset result in a lot of poke?
- I'm not as keen on the angled spoke design.
- Quite expensive.

4) Velgen VMB8
+ Available at a couple of UK retailers.
- Unsure what offsets they're supplied with (not stated in product descriptions). They seem to be supplied as 20x9 + 20x10.5 staggered, or 20x10.5 square.
- Quite expensive.

Packages of 20x9 + 20x10.5 are widely available, but I don't like the non-concave flat look at the front with just the nice deep rim at the back.
Most of the wheels mentioned above are also available as 20x10.5 Square packages, but wouldn't this throw up weird fitment issues?

From what I picked up in my searches, 10.5 ET45 would require a spacer up front to clear the brakes, or an offset of around 30 would result in excessive poke at the rear?

Also, isn't 10.5 up front getting into rubbing territory without any camber adjustment?

It would be brilliant if anyone could correct any figures I've got wrong and offer any advice about what to get and where to get them!
Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Have you checked P51 wheels as well?

Also another thing consider is the hub hole size on the wheels.
The 6Gr and P51 wheels do not require any rings etc either to make the wheel fit to the hub.

I believe that [MENTION=15536]MrWolf[/MENTION] is going to order a set of the P51s. Maybe you can order together :D

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
look at sve forged 350 sheels similar to p6gr but alot cheaper lmr.com

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT

Also another thing consider is the hub hole size on the wheels.
The 6Gr and P51 wheels do not require any rings etc either to make the wheel fit to the hub.

I believe that @MrWolf is going to order a set of the P51s. Maybe you can order together :D
Not ready to order mine yet. Will probably, at earliest, closer to year end.

I have ordered and received delivery from the States before. I ordered a set of Forgestars CF10s. The packaging was excellent and wheels were very well protected. The wheels were neatly delivered to my door with no fuss (I paid all taxes prior to delivery over the phone with the delivery company). Easy as pie!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I won't even bother going into the nerdy side of it, [MENTION=21881]MustangMustHaves[/MENTION] can give you a hand with that, however they've got a whole list of wheels straight from distributor (Sxywheels) which they can get for you, shipping, etc included, have a look on the site if there's anything you like the look of and PJ can price it up for you.

From what you're saying on the three the fitments, offset etc looks right. Just remember to also look into the bore.

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Can I ask why you’re going for 20”?:)

OP
OP
Spoonex

Spoonex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Mustang GT
look at sve forged 350 sheels similar to p6gr but alot cheaper lmr.com
Thank, just checked them out. They're both lovely designs, but there's other styles that I prefer more. Will definitely keep them in mind as backups though!

I won't even bother going into the nerdy side of it, [MENTION=21881]MustangMustHaves[/MENTION] can give you a hand with that, however they've got a whole list of wheels straight from distributor (Sxywheels) which they can get for you, shipping, etc included, have a look on the site if there's anything you like the look of and PJ can price it up for you.

From what you're saying on the three the fitments, offset etc looks right. Just remember to also look into the bore.
Brilliant, I hadn't come across the SXY Wheels site, but I've just discovered Vossen CV7 on there to add to my list. I'll have to search the forum for some 'real life' pics. I'm keen to learn if you did want to nerd out over fitment specs! I have a note of 70.6 for the centre bore. It looks like a lot of wheels are specced with 73.1

Can I ask why you’re going for 20”?:)
For the looks mostly. My car is a weekend warrior, not a daily, so I'm not as fussed about the effect on ride quality 20s might have vs 19s.

Last edited:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Correct, so with a 70.6 bore you'd need a 70.6 to NEW BORE adapter. Aka a spigot ring they're fairly inexpensive but some sizes are a right faff to find.

AS for sizings etc, I'm running 19x10 square on 275/40/19 rubbers. I can fit everything in, but it's somewhat down to the offset which Is an ET40 (about same as normal). allows me to run without spacers on any of the corners. However I run spigot rings as the CB (centre bore) is 72.6.

Ideally you want to look for alloys around the 40-50ET if you want to keep them as flush as stock.

Furthermore it's worth if you go for highly concaved wheels (the wider the wheel generally the more concaved they are), that they also clear the brakes, mine clear with about 10mm of space in some parts however it's usually the width that, if anything catches people out and it catches on the inside (I'm about 3-4mm of space on that section), but I do fear swapping to larger brakes if they were wider (into the hub) it'd rub.

Other bits to go into for the nerding out.
20's will feel a bit 'rougher' than 19s.
You're gonna need new tyres (but really everyone with pz's needs that)
Check the weights of the wheels out, if you have a lot of designs you like, then go on the one that saves the most weight, if one stands out in looks the most, pick that.
If lowering the car, the offset becomes more evident on wheels, and the car will naturally adjust its camber in accordance with it being lower, due to added tensions etc etc.

Running something like 20x8.5-10 on front and 20x10-11 on rear, will be fine for stock setups. The rest comes down to you.
Tyre wise, I'm sure someone can post a Tyre 'width' to alloy width calculator but perfect fit for 8.5 is a 255, and a 10 is a 275. That's before they start to stretch/bulge.

I can only advise that you go with your heart more than anything, if performance isn't in your plans, nor is comfort, entirely set it on what you want, figure the rest out after. I personally wanted 19" wheels, with concaves, which were black and 5x2 spoked. Me and PJ had about 30 different alloys I was going through, and eventually nailed it down to 3 (I think we were debating for months) the rotiforms eventually won out when I saw just how aggressive the concave was on them, and it was exactly what I wanted (as I, like you, am not a fan of concaved rears but flat fronts, which usually leads to a square setup, which isn't as good in the wet, due to larger area, but, is a sticky bitch in the dry :D)

Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
We ship world wide and also offer shipping insurance.
PM has been sent with more details :)

OP
OP
Spoonex

Spoonex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Mustang GT
AS for sizings etc, I'm running 19x10 square on 275/40/19 rubbers. I can fit everything in, but it's somewhat down to the offset which Is an ET40 (about same as normal). allows me to run without spacers on any of the corners. However I run spigot rings as the CB (centre bore) is 72.6.
Ideally you want to look for alloys around the 40-50ET
I appreciate you taking the time write out all that info! How does ET40 compare with flushness front/rear? (I’ll see if I can find some of your pics from older threads)

I do have a couple of specific questions if Prof. Manders is available for more tuition:
- Is it a case of finding an offset that works for both front and rear with squared setups, unlike staggered where you can pick the perfect alignment? Or is it possible to spec two different offsets on the same width rims (...”Squaggered”? :D)

- Have you come across any 10.5j square setups? A lot of the wheels I’ve found are sold like that but I haven’t found many threads with people actually running them.

OP
OP
Spoonex

Spoonex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Mustang GT
Thanks Jason, I’ll have to look up how concave a 9” FR1 is, what I’ve found with a lot of staggered setups is the 9” fronts tend to look a bit flat.

[MENTION=11685]Need4SpeedMotors[/MENTION] has sent many Project6GR wheels successfully over the pond.
They’re definitely on the ball, we’re chatting via PM already! Could any British 6GR recipients share how much Her Majesty’s Revenue And Customs held their wheels ransom for when they were imported?

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
Thanks Jason, I’ll have to look up how concave a 9” FR1 is, what I’ve found with a lot of staggered setups is the 9” fronts tend to look a bit flat.

They’re definitely on the ball, we’re chatting via PM already! Could any British 6GR recipients share how much Her Majesty’s Revenue And Customs held their wheels ransom for when they were imported?
Does this help!

to answer question 2 , if the wheels are invoiced and shipped legally you will pay approx. 3.5% duties on top of your shipped price (ie. goods + shipping) , then you will pay VAT @ 20% on that total

if they down value the invoice to reduce the costs then of course you pay less but be aware you are then only insured for the value on the invoice in the event of loss or damage , plus you are defrauding the govt which may not go down well if found out!

cheers

Jason :D
Sponsored