Sponsored

Exhaust Mods...what did you fit and why ?

Snap On Pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
S550GT 2017MY Grabber Blue
So have taken delivery of my Grabber Blue GT.. and one of the first mods is going to be the exhaust..Of course...

With such a vast choice on the market, axle backs, cat backs.x-pipes, h-pipes etc., Just wondered what others have chose ?

I am contemplating the Borla Axle back `S`Type with black tips, and poss an x-pipe.

Want to fit the system once, and get it right...

1) What have you fitted
2) Your reason for choice
3) Are you content,... Or would you change for Quieter /Louder etc...??

Thanks in advance Pete..:thumbsup:
Sponsored

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
After a lot of research l went with the Roush axle back. I chose this for a number of reasons, bang for buck was great, $875 AUD delivered. It looks great with cool chrome exhaust tips. The most important reason though is the sound, and what a beautiful sound it is, old school muscle sound with no raspiness. I daily drive it and I think the sound and volume is perfect. I've had the system on my car for 8000 km and i love it. I've removed the sound tube and still have the factory suitcase resonator and think it's perfect.
Good luck with your choice.

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
1) The factory system
2) Because I haven't yet found a system that I know will sound good at a tolerable volume
3) Not satisfied. Factory system is just a little too quiet and lacking character.

Steeda axle back might be my next move, I just want to avoid cutting the stock exhaust.

Langburger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT Manual
Solo Mach XV

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
I was originally going to go for the Magnaflow Sport Catback but then heard a lot of stories about cabin drone, so instead opted for a Roush Axleback, which I have to be honest blew me away with how awesome it sounded (bearing in mind it was just an axleback)... until one day I ended up following a late model Dodge Charger SRT8 through the tall building lined streets of our town and realised I had serious competition on the loudness front... so on my next trip to the US acquired an MRT resonator delete H-Pipe.

At first I thought (as did the exhaust fitters that installed it) that it was gonna be too loud and get me pulled by the local constabulary, but as it's bedded in over the last 7 months it's calmed down a little on everything except start-up, and now gives the exact deep V8 burble that a muscle car should have, without any nasty raspiness below about 6K rpm, and which gives a sound that's very controllable through engine mode and gear choice.

My next change is I have two 12" Vibrant Performance bullet resonators to fit post-H, which will hopefully quieten it down a little on start-up, increase the depth of the exhaust at idle/low rpm, and remove the slight rasp that appears at the very top of the rev range.

I'm essentially 'tailoring' my exhaust to suit my ears, and so far I love the way it's sounding, but we're all different in what we perceive as sounding good or bad so you're gonna find that it's a very subjective issue as far as people's opinions go... you're just gonna have to listen (in real life as best you can) to all the exhausts us Guinea pigs before you have fitted and you'll know when you find the one!

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Very personal choice this, you can take reccomendatilns all day long but it’s gotta be the sound you want.

Even though i’m still stock, sound wise the Roush is glorious - i say that as an observer rather than a driver but it gets my vote...

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
^ Yup, I'm still searching here as well, I did SVE X-pipe w/stock mufflers for now.

Wildblood

'Andrew'
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
TY 'GT' Mustang.........'H1 OON'
I went with the 'cat-back' Ford Racing by Borla Touring chrome Tip exhaust system with the 'x' pipe.
As it was an all stainless system replacing a mild steel, therefore should last.
It had Ford Stamped all over it and fitted, unlike a lot of aftermarket systems which don't.
Noise was better than the OE one, but not excessively so.
The later Ford Racing systems are now supplied with the X box replaced by a resonator, but I bought mine before this happened.
Hope this helps.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Initially bought Borla touring with X pipe.... to much rasp, and to much volume for me..

Swapped X pipe out for Borla Resonator....much more agreeable.... and I’ve just had the resonator modded, by removing some of the perforated pipe and replacing with straight tube... nice deep rumble now, sound pretty good to my ear:D

Sponsored

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Solo Mach XV
When I had my 16, I also had a Solo Mach XV.

It had an amazing sound. Did a lot of research before deciding on these. Added benefit was very few in UK had them (though popular in the US) so felt my car was relatively unique here because of this.

Also, the XV is the quietest of there range (although it’s not- loud and deep), and it’s a simple case of swapping out the mid box for the Thunder (mid volume - properly loud and aggressive ) or Street race (straight though pipes, no muffler - obscenely loud)

Vids can be found in this link (in my opinion, best I’ve heard)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34818&highlight=Solo

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT fastback, Ruby Red Auto, custom.
So have taken delivery of my Grabber Blue GT.. and one of the first mods is going to be the exhaust..Of course...

With such a vast choice on the market, axle backs, cat backs.x-pipes, h-pipes etc., Just wondered what others have chose ?

I am contemplating the Borla Axle back `S`Type with black tips, and poss an x-pipe.

Want to fit the system once, and get it right...

1) What have you fitted
2) Your reason for choice
3) Are you content,... Or would you change for Quieter /Louder etc...??

Thanks in advance Pete..:thumbsup:
Essentially what you describe although done in stages. First resonator replaced by x-pipe from a Borla cat back, it added volume but lost some nice tones.
Then purchased Borla S type axleback so essentially now a Borla S type catback, sounds amazing. From what I've listened to it's less raspy than Roush and also a bit quieter.

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
Pete

I would also suggest borla axle back coupled with borla centre resonator. the Xpipe is loud, as loud and drones. The resonator is keeps the bits you want and not the others. Importantly the stock system is like scaffolding pole, so you take a lot of weight out of the car.

regards

nic

WOLFMAN

wolfman
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang fast back 5.0 V8
Pete
I would suggest a Borla Touring cat back coupled with borla centre resonator and FR GT350 quad pipes and rear valance. I took off my X pipe as it was loud, drones and rasps. I have the Kooks long tube headers with 200 cell cats and FR/Roush phase 2 supercharger. These are my final mods and very happy with the final result at 730bhp. Very last mod is a McLeod RXT twin clutch and flywheel. It has only taken 2 years to find the right exhaust after many failed experiments along the way. In the end everyone has their own choice and favorites. That's what owning a Mustang is all about.:thumbsup:
Sponsored