Sponsored

Winter Rubber

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 EcoBoost Grabber Blue
The rate my fronts are wearing they'll probably last another year or so. So stuck with the "US Summer" spec P-Zero's for a while yet!! The rears will probably need doing by late spring, mainly due to driving it for 7.5K miles with incorrect wheel alignment.

Whilst we've not had proper snow in the midlands for 5 years or so, I really don't want to have to abandon my car at work if we do get a sudden blizzard. Even with winter tyres, in light snow, it's still going to be hard getting it up hills or through single track lanes.

Pretty much decided to get a cheap Nissan X-Trail. Something that should be OK on regular "economy" tyres should it come to the worst. But may get a set of cheap winters for peace of mind. I need a work horse in any case, a Mustang and a Fabia aren't really suited to lugging large loads of DIY generated waste.
Sponsored

downthepub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miles
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW California
Last winter in my Mustang on Nokian tyres I had no dramas on single track snowy hill roads. Only issue with the Mustang is ground clearance in deep snow.

I don't understand this British thinking that 4WD/AWD without winter tyres is fine. Sure for getting going it's okish, but stopping is a different case.

Vid at [ame] nicely summarises the situation.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Winter tyres are everything particular on snow/ice. In cold damp a good summer tyre is fine, once warmed, depending on rubber type some summer tyres take more warming up than others.

When I had my EVO X, I went with Michelin Alpin which is classed as a Winter Sports tyre and it was incredible in the snow and of course the EVO X being a very smart AWD with a snow mode, on Winter tyres was a huge amount of fun, I remember driving down snow covered lanes at 70mph and the car was so planted, when it did slide it just drifted and was controllable. The EVO has to be one of the best and smartest 4WD cars I ever owned.

Seems that M3 owner the video is very much like me when it comes to snow, TIME FOR PLAY! :D

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last winter in my Mustang on Nokian tyres I had no dramas on single track snowy hill roads. Only issue with the Mustang is ground clearance in deep snow.

I don't understand this British thinking that 4WD/AWD without winter tyres is fine. Sure for getting going it's okish, but stopping is a different case.

Vid at nicely summarises the situation.
Point taken on board!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The rate my fronts are wearing they'll probably last another year or so. So stuck with the "US Summer" spec P-Zero's for a while yet!! The rears will probably need doing by late spring, mainly due to driving it for 7.5K miles with incorrect wheel alignment.

Whilst we've not had proper snow in the midlands for 5 years or so, I really don't want to have to abandon my car at work if we do get a sudden blizzard. Even with winter tyres, in light snow, it's still going to be hard getting it up hills or through single track lanes.

Pretty much decided to get a cheap Nissan X-Trail. Something that should be OK on regular "economy" tyres should it come to the worst. But may get a set of cheap winters for peace of mind. I need a work horse in any case, a Mustang and a Fabia aren't really suited to lugging large loads of DIY generated waste.
Blizzard or not, it's a safety issue for you and other road users if it gets close to that temp ;)!

Last time we had proper snow I had a driving lesson down untreated country lanes, that was fun :lol:

Sponsored

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's a good a excuse to do a drift day. Burn out the rears then swap them around. Clearly I'd have the replacements ready to chuck on afterwards. :D

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's a good a excuse to do a drift day. Burn out the rears then swap them around. Clearly I'd have the replacements ready to chuck on afterwards. :D
My rears are already on the wear indicator. It's getting painful to drive, I can literally feel the back end twitching at every moment. My new tyres are fk knows where they were meant to be "two day delivered" but it's been 4 (working) days since it's been in the system.

I'll be doing a lovely MPSS burnout on these once they drop them off, and a video etc. :headbang:

Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto
Hi,

Just went to Costco to order some winter tyres. I'd rather be safer in the cold weather!

Unfortunately when they checked the speed rating on the Michelin Alpin fronts they're V rated. Their recommendation is that they should only fit 2 speed ratings lower than what's fitted to the car, so they wouldn't recommend fitting them to the car, they also checked with Michelin.

I had a bit of a search online and couldn't find any 255/40/19 winter tyres in a speed rating higher than V.

Went to the local Ford dealer to check with them, they advised that the tyres installed on the car should be suitable for all conditions. :(

Interesting Ford website has a section on winter tyres

Have emailed for customer relations to see what they have to say.

Wonder what I would be expected to do if I wanted to go to a European country that mandates the use of winters

Paul;

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

Just went to Costco to order some winter tyres. I'd rather be safer in the cold weather!

Unfortunately when they checked the speed rating on the Michelin Alpin fronts they're V rated. Their recommendation is that they should only fit 2 speed ratings lower than what's fitted to the car, so they wouldn't recommend fitting them to the car, they also checked with Michelin.

I had a bit of a search online and couldn't find any 255/40/19 winter tyres in a speed rating higher than V.

Went to the local Ford dealer to check with them, they advised that the tyres installed on the car should be suitable for all conditions. :(

Interesting Ford website has a section on winter tyres

Have emailed for customer relations to see what they have to say.

Wonder what I would be expected to do if I wanted to go to a European country that mandates the use of winters

Paul;
That's very interesting... also, ford think pzeros are suitable :lol::lol::lol:

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
V rated tyres are for speeds up to 149mph...... I'd have no issue fitting them to my car:)

Last edited:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
V rated tyres are for speeds up to 149mph...... if have no issue fitting them to my car:)
Especially for winter conditions :eek:

downthepub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miles
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW California
V rated tyres are for speeds up to 149mph...... if have no issue fitting them to my car:)
Lol, I'm taking my GT to Germany next Easter. Might nudge those sort of speeds on the winters - heading on to Austria for a spot of skiing so will probably leave them on the car.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Lol, I'm taking my GT to Germany next Easter. Might nudge those sort of speeds on the winters - heading on to Austria for a spot of skiing so will probably leave them on the car.
v rated are for speeds up to 149, and this rating is for sustained driving at this speed...

Our z rated tyres are for speeds over 150..:)

For the amount of times you'd actually travel at those speeds V rated will be fine:thumbsup:... it's what I'd be using in those countries:D
Sponsored