Sponsored

Well the party is over sub $55k drive away

rixstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FG XR6
Check again....Some dealers have put the prices back up to 60000 Car trade can be fickle
To the unassuming buyer this may look like a good deal, but if you walk in with 55 large I think you may have a very good chance of driving away with a brand new 2017 auto GT fastback, even less for a manual.
Sponsored

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
To the unassuming buyer this may look like a good deal, but if you walk in with 55 large I think you may have a very good chance of driving away with a brand new 2017 auto GT fastback, even less for a manual.
or even a little better than $55K

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
I wonder, to what extent dealers are overstocked, to be so generous? After the stock is cleared, will they be able to get MY17s for much longer anyway? Another factor is that our dollar is 10% stronger than it has been, making Mustangs a fair bit cheaper to bring in for Ford AUS. Maybe,they are passing that on to dealers?

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
10-15% depreciation on cars p.a is normal
If you paid full approx $66K d/away retail, for a GT auto 1 year ago, that car with average Ks on it, is worth probably $40k wholesale now. That's more than 35%, in the first year. Even if you could sell it for $45-50k, still a 25-30% loss, in the first year.

Sponsored

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
^^^^ Maybe so but you've also had a fantastic year of smiling and driving

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Great bang for buck, for those picking up 12-18month old GTs, for peanuts now.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
DA vs w'sale will always lead to depression. :eyebulge:

It's not a level comparison, better is probably excl vs w'sale, on roads in Vic are about 3k?

Am I right in thinking a drop of min 10k in the first year on any mid priced mass produced car is about right? Check out the prices on new 2017 SSV Redlines, which arguably command more of a premium now than the Mustang due to 'last of a kind' status, finite production and broader demographic appeal. Drop on the 300C probably worse.

For this reason I swore I'd never buy a new car, but the price of new Mustangs was in free fall in Vic so I figured if I bought at the bottom of the market - which is guessed is around now - I could live with that.

Dynamics of price are based on what it costs the dealer, and how they think your head is going to work such that they can get the most out of you hence why they like early adopters who 'simply must have one as soon as possible'.

Mustang was a perfect run for dealers but dynamics were always going to change and possibly in a fickle way. The current tune is 'last shipment is in late 2017 and then there will be no more for months'. It will be guaranteed to work on some people and be used more often as 2017 closes. I just told them that was true but they don't want to get stuck with 2017's when they have new 2018's on the lot. Interesting time will be when pricing on the 2018 gets released, if it's near 70k ours will probably hold price and help the used market (punters and yards asking more than new DA pricing) particularly if adaptive susp doesn't make it here. There's always the chance of a run out sale on 2017's, which could be a good time if you're flexible on colour.

Just my 2c

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
DA vs w'sale will always lead to depression. :eyebulge:

It's not a level comparison, better is probably excl vs w'sale, on roads in Vic are about 3k?

Am I right in thinking a drop of min 10k in the first year on any mid priced mass produced car is about right? Check out the prices on new 2017 SSV Redlines, which arguably command more of a premium now than the Mustang due to 'last of a kind' status, finite production and broader demographic appeal. Drop on the 300C probably worse.

For this reason I swore I'd never buy a new car, but the price of new Mustangs was in free fall in Vic so I figured if I bought at the bottom of the market - which is guessed is around now - I could live with that.

Dynamics of price are based on what it costs the dealer, and how they think your head is going to work such that they can get the most out of you hence why they like early adopters who 'simply must have one as soon as possible'.

Mustang was a perfect run for dealers but dynamics were always going to change and possibly in a fickle way. The current tune is 'last shipment is in late 2017 and then there will be no more for months'. It will be guaranteed to work on some people and be used more often as 2017 closes. I just told them that was true but they don't want to get stuck with 2017's when they have new 2018's on the lot. Interesting time will be when pricing on the 2018 gets released, if it's near 70k ours will probably hold price and help the used market (punters and yards asking more than new DA pricing) particularly if adaptive susp doesn't make it here. There's always the chance of a run out sale on 2017's, which could be a good time if you're flexible on colour.

Just my 2c
$10k loss(first year),on a $65k car would be more than acceptable. But, due to this stupid discounting, so early, it's become more like $20k. Not acceptable. And for those people financing, (lucky not me) there's interest on top of that. Just as well, i got mine pre Jan16 price rise, which was about $4k less, when you include on roads LCT etc and i managed a small discount as well.

rixstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FG XR6
I wonder, to what extent dealers are overstocked, to be so generous? After the stock is cleared, will they be able to get MY17s for much longer anyway? Another factor is that our dollar is 10% stronger than it has been, making Mustangs a fair bit cheaper to bring in for Ford AUS. Maybe,they are passing that on to dealers?
From what I can gather it's not dealerships being overstocked but Ford Australia allowing dealerships to discount heavily so as to clear for the upcoming model.

Sponsored

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
From what I can gather it's not dealerships being overstocked but Ford Australia allowing dealerships to discount heavily so as to clear for the upcoming model.
My18 has a role in this for sure. Due to it's 18 month delay , MY16/17 has had a shortish cycle for AUS, which hasn't helped matters. Funny thing is, S550 will be short lived anyway, because Ford has brought all new S650 forward, to early 2020. More pain for S550 resale. No way, i would ditch my MY16 and pay premium for MY18. By then, all new S650 will be in sight.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
MY18 might fizzle if it's not what we need. Some will always just want the latest, right or wrong, and my sincere good luck to them.

Adaptive Ride, 10 sp auto and digi cluster are potential draw cards for me but not at a huge premium. Interested to know the ins and outs of adapting MY18 suspension and 10 sp to 15-17, probably prohibitive for a range of reasons.

I think 15-17 will always be considered a bench mark model, not because manufacturers have been able to sell cars with panel gaps that bad until now but because it's a significant step above recent models a bit like the R1 Yamaha in 1998. OK, the R1 did annihilate everything in its path (and the panel fit was very good) but you get what I mean.

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
MY18 might fizzle if it's not what we need. Some will always just want the latest, right or wrong, and my sincere good luck to them.

Adaptive Ride, 10 sp auto and digi cluster are potential draw cards for me but not at a huge premium. Interested to know the ins and outs of adapting MY18 suspension and 10 sp to 15-17, probably prohibitive for a range of reasons.

I think 15-17 will always be considered a bench mark model, not because manufacturers have been able to sell cars with panel gaps that bad until now but because it's a significant step above recent models a bit like the R1 Yamaha in 1998. OK, the R1 did annihilate everything in its path (and the panel fit was very good) but you get what I mean.
Not sure about S550 being a benchmark series. Maybe, because it's the first RHD. Ok, it's the first mustang with IRS.:paddle: But it will be a short lived series if as reported, S650 is to start in 20. That's only 6 years. Previous generation S197 (05-14) ran for 9years. Current Commy generation is into it's 11th and sadly, it's last year. I give Holden credit, because VF, is still a pretty decent car, by any standard.

ozracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0
Wait until supply dissapears in the new year prices will come back up. Mustangs new model wont hit our shores until xmas 2018 or early 2019. I spoke to Adrian Brien Ford on Friday in Adelaide they aren't discounting GT's at all and only have half a dozen left.

Ive pulled my MY18 order because of the significant discounting and indication the new car will be in excess of 5k dearer than what they were new rrp 12 months ago. This car is plenty for me and if I do decide to move it on it wont be on another mustang.

Still a beautiful car and absolutely enjoy driving on it but the revised changes in the new model are by no means justifiable for me especially with the stupidity of Ford discounting and likely depreciation.

Just think 3 months ago wheels Motor magazine were tooting the Mustang horn as being once of the best performing cars in Australia for combatting depreciation. Over supply has now most likely killed that.

Thank You Ford Australia this has been a truely memorable ownership experience for all the wrong reasons.

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Wait until supply dissapears in the new year prices will come back up. Mustangs new model wont hit our shores until xmas 2018 or early 2019. I spoke to Adrian Brien Ford on Friday in Adelaide they aren't discounting GT's at all and only have half a dozen left.

Ive pulled my MY18 order because of the significant discounting and indication the new car will be in excess of 5k dearer than what they were new rrp 12 months ago. This car is plenty for me and if I do decide to move it on it wont be on another mustang.

Still a beautiful car and absolutely enjoy driving on it but the revised changes in the new model are by no means justifiable for me especially with the stupidity of Ford discounting and likely depreciation.

Just think 3 months ago wheels Motor magazine were tooting the Mustang horn as being once of the best performing cars in Australia for combatting depreciation. Over supply has now most likely killed that.

Thank You Ford Australia this has been a truely memorable ownership experience for all the wrong reasons.
MY18, Xmas18 or 19? MY18 production starts next week. With RHD, a few months later. Ford AUS marketing director has already said, we will have new cars mid next year.
Sponsored