Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Yeah, when they crank that assembly line to twice normal speed, the workers will definitely not have time to set those panels correctly! Half the screws will also be missing!:lol::D:ford:
Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Are they delayed or are they going to rush them out? I think people are making way too much out of the tentative dates. Unless Ford had issued one release date and then changed it then nothing is delayed. It's just later than we would prefer.
Ok how about later than other models previous release dates... is that better?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Yeah, when they crank that assembly line to twice normal speed, the workers will definitely not have time to set those panels correctly! Half the screws will also be missing!:lol::D:ford:
Such a funny little guy.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Ok how about later than other models previous release dates... is that better?
I just think it's funny that going back to the "old" standard of new model year being released in the fall is now "late". Next model years kept creeping earlier and earlier until it was almost a joke. So this is a little reset, and not a huge one. Unless somebody has some insider knowledge that this was not the original date, or there was some sort of problem that forced a slide to the right I don't think there is much value in speculating about a deeper meaning. The exact date could be due to numerous variables and could have been set in stone years ago. We just don't know, so I think it is unreasonable to characterize it as "late" or rushed or anything else. Don't get me wrong, it might be, but that's pure speculation.

Now if in September it is announced that production won't start until November, that would indicate a change from something we already know.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Looking at my local dealer who has 32 mustangs sitting on their lot, I would guess they have quite a bit of 17s that need to be moved before crapping on their shoes. Just my guess though.

Sponsored

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
Looking at my local dealer who has 32 mustangs sitting on their lot, I would guess they have quite a bit of 17s that need to be moved before crapping on their shoes. Just my guess though.
Could mean some generous incentives.

When I bought my GT in May 2014 Ford was giving $3000 cash back, plus an additional $750 for Ford loyalty. That was on top of several thousand than the dealer knocked off.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
If the 2018 comes in at 475 HP and if Ford did not upgrade the internals, specially the rods and pistons, this could be the cause of the delay. The weak link to the 5.0 is the rods, so if anyone plans on adding a hair dryer I highly recommend upgrading the internals
:doh:

Try again... the engine in the 2018 is all new.

And the current coyote doesn't have the issues you are speaking of. What rod failure are you speaking of... and how does the translate into new engine (2018), from suffering potential rod failure..?

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I keep coming back to look at the 2018 hoping my eyes/tastes have changed, but it's not happening. It's just an ugly front end. I've really enjoyed my 2015 so far, it's disappointing that the 2018 is completely off the table considering every other change they made are changes I wanted them to make. Oh well. 10 more months of my GT then on to something else.

Thats the same thing people said when the S197 and S550 was released !! It's always the same thing thats said when a nextgen vehicle or refresh is revealed, car after car after car. It's hilarious!! I wonder what people will say when the S650 is revealed? hahahahah :lol:
:headbonk:

Where is this false sentiment coming from? I’m seeing it in multiple threads on here and it couldn’t be further from the truth. When the S550 was revealed in 2013 it received overwhelmingly positive feedback on this forum.

Comparing the “official” 2018 refresh poll results to the two 2015 poll results they are not at all similar.
2018 -- 45% like it -- 26% dislike it -- 29% on the fence
2015 -- 80% love it -- 4% hate it -- 16% on the fence
2015 -- 64% love it -- 31% like it -- 5% hate it

This very community gave the 2015 a >92% positive/<8% negative reception compared to the 2018’s <45% positive/>25% negative (let’s be honest >47% negative… if you have to see it in person you don’t like it.) So, where is this similar dislike/negative reception for the 2015's that you're referring to?

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7395
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7587
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74320

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
As I have stated before the Butt-Hurt runs deep in this thread.

Sponsored

Chumley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350, '18 GOLF R, '09 BMW 335
I keep coming back to look at the 2018 hoping my eyes/tastes have changed, but it's not happening. It's just an ugly front end. I've really enjoyed my 2015 so far, it's disappointing that the 2018 is completely off the table considering every other change they made are changes I wanted them to make. Oh well. 10 more months of my GT then on to something else.
I respectfully disagree. I feel just the opposite - the more I see the '18 the more I like it. It's hard to imagine that a few of the design aspects of one part of the car would get you to abandon it. You must not like to car very much to begin with considering, as you pointed out, that there are dozens of changes that make the '18 a better overall car.

It would be like not wanting to buy the current gen just because of the hard center console or Ford's decision to put a body colored insert on the rear diffuser. :shrug:

My_Coyote

Howl'n in the Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
:doh:

Try again... the engine in the 2018 is all new.

And the current coyote doesn't have the issues you are speaking of. What rod failure are you speaking of... and how does the translate into new engine (2018), from suffering potential rod failure..?
The current Coyote is good up to 750 HP. People always modify their cars and if the 2018 comes in at 485 HP, hopefully they upgraded the internals.

Unfortunately, it is very hard to define a be-all-end-all limit for the new Coyote engine. Like the old 5.0L pushrod V8, numbers vary all over the place. However, the general consensus is the new Coyote can live comfortable and reliably at 750 crank horsepower. Getting this kind of power out of the S550 will of course necessitate the addition of a power adder, but as long as the car is configured and tuned properly, the stock pieces should be fine up until then. As mentioned, the major weak point in the S550 as it stands are the powdered connecting rods, followed by the hypereutectic pistons.

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I respectfully disagree. I feel just the opposite - the more I see the '18 the more I like it. It's hard to imagine that a few of the design aspects of one part of the car would get you to abandon it. You must not like to car very much to begin with considering, as you pointed out, that there are dozens of changes that make the '18 a better overall car.
And that's fine. I'm not trying to sway anyone one way or another just giving my opinion.

It would be like not wanting to buy the current gen just because of the hard center console or Ford's decision to put a body colored insert on the rear diffuser. :shrug:
Sorry, but you’re wrong. It’s nothing like that at all. Comparing the car’s front end, the entire focal point of a car’s design, to the softness of a center console or the paint color of a rear panel insert... That’s almost as ridiculous as giving the hot dog vendor at Gillette Stadium as much credit as Tom Brady for winning the Super Bowl last year.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
And that's fine. I'm not trying to sway anyone one way or another just giving my opinion.

Sorry, but you’re wrong. It’s nothing like that at all. Comparing the car’s front end, the entire focal point of a car’s design, to the softness of a center console or the paint color of a rear panel insert... That’s almost as ridiculous as giving the hot dog vendor at Gillette Stadium as much credit as Tom Brady for winning the Super Bowl last year.
Come on, who's being ridiculous now? The front is important, but so is the back and the center console. It might be more like giving the left tackle as much credit as Tom Brady. Maybe not quite as important as the QB, but try winning without one.

Anyway, I'm firmly in the "meh" camp. The front is different, not clearly better or worse. Unless you look at it through a soda straw, the car is still clearly an S550 Mustang. Nobody who is not a "car guy" and even some of those will not even spot the difference.

Oh, and I really like the color matched diffuser. That is something I don't like on the 18s.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette

After being on this fourm for a while you would be surprised.
Sponsored