The GT Spare Wheel /Tyre Solution- "The Gnome Spare"

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang 390 Fastback
Sorted out the lowered car issue today with the jack not fitting. I did consider cutting smaller pieces to fit in with the spare tyre but I don't think they were going to be quite long enough.

This solution works just as well and you can only see the wood when your head is right inside. Just keep a knife with the wheel well to cut the cable ties :-)

Love your ingenuity :ford:
Sponsored

Must16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT Fastback AT Ruby Red
Have just ordered my spare from Tempe Tyres and would like to thank "Gnome" for all the research, hard work in setting up the system, it was so easy. I live in country NSW and the guys at Tempe Tyres tell me it should be delivered next week. How good is that!
Thanks again John.

05STNG

05 STNG
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
DIB Fastback V8 Manual
Sorted out the lowered car issue today with the jack not fitting. I did consider cutting smaller pieces to fit in with the spare tyre but I don't think they were going to be quite long enough.

This solution works just as well and you can only see the wood when your head is right inside. Just keep a knife with the wheel well to cut the cable ties :-)

[
Hey Phil, did you remove the original tyre cover when you put the pony one in?

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

[
Hey Phil, did you remove the original tyre cover when you put the pony one in?
I did mate, you need to otherwise the bump underneath will be even bigger.

GAFA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang
Great service from Tempe Tyres, ordered mine Friday afternoon and it was delivered (Brisbane) Tuesday morning.

Sponsored

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
How long a strap is needed? 2m should be heaps wouldn't it?

OP
OP
PG68

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed
How long a strap is needed? 2m should be heaps wouldn't it?
Hi Ciaran,
If you find that the 2 metre strap is too long, just cut the excess and then seal the frayed end with a lighter or match / flame. it is a nylon strap normally. I think a 1 metre strap may do it.

African PH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Franco
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red GT
Gnome wheel.

Have just ordered my spare from Tempe Tyres and would like to thank "Gnome" for all the research, hard work in setting up the system, it was so easy. I live in country NSW and the guys at Tempe Tyres tell me it should be delivered next week. How good is that!
Thanks again John.
Will be in Melbourne for the MotoGP weekend 21-23 Oct. Have ordered the Gnome wheel. Will pick up and take with to NZ. Wonderful work done by Gnome. Like a good Bullterrier, he hung in there and got the job done. We are all indebted to you. Hopefully I can buy you a beer at some stage. Salute.:clap2:

ian b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
GT Manual Deep Impact Blue
Great service from Tempe Tyres, ordered mine Friday afternoon and it was delivered (Brisbane) Tuesday morning.
Agree on the quality of service, I made bank transfer Monday 4pm and received delivery this morning.

ian b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Installed this morning, great instructions.
Looking at trying to get a threaded connector and rod to extend the OEM holding down screw from the inflation kit foam so it fits through the centre of the wheel, and reaches the bracket in the base of the wheel well, thus avoiding the need for the strap.
Down side is I will need to cut the fins of the plastic screw head so they are somewhere near flush with the top of the wheel, but will still be able to be turned.
Will post photos if it works.
Also packed under the existing boot carpeting with foam tiles to raise to the same level as the wheel cover.
Final stage will be to print and laminate a copy of the jacking point diagram for easy reference.

Sponsored

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone in Melbourne find a good place to get a jack from? The wreckers I've been to either don't have to foam or just a big pile of jacks with no way to find the right one.

ian b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Anyone in Melbourne find a good place to get a jack from? The wreckers I've been to either don't have to foam or just a big pile of jacks with no way to find the right one.
Got mine on e-bay, from a supplier in Melbourne. I probably paid a bit over the odds, but saved me trekking around breakers yards all day so worth $100 just for that alone.
The one I received was pretty much brand new, with no rust or paint missing.
Delivered to Sydney from Melbourne in 3 days.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272389480743?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
My Gnome kit is complete with the arrival of the spare wheel from Tempe today. Very swift delivery (ordered yesterday) to Melbourne.

Thanks again for everyone for the help on this issue.

ian b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Installed this morning, great instructions.
Looking at trying to get a threaded connector and rod to extend the OEM holding down screw from the inflation kit foam so it fits through the centre of the wheel, and reaches the bracket in the base of the wheel well, thus avoiding the need for the strap.
Down side is I will need to cut the fins of the plastic screw head so they are somewhere near flush with the top of the wheel, but will still be able to be turned.
Will post photos if it works.
Also packed under the existing boot carpeting with foam tiles to raise to the same level as the wheel cover.
Final stage will be to print and laminate a copy of the jacking point diagram for easy reference.
Tried this out today and it worked OK, (connector, 2 nuts and rod were $5 from Buttsworth at South Windsor.)

Height of the connector will need adjustment if you have any packing under the wheel. Leave plenty of thread below the wheel well retaining bracket so you can raise the rod and connector if required.

Also had to offset the jack position so the threaded rod is clear of the jack components.

I cut the fins off the plastic retainer to keep the wheel cover as low as possible, but still able to unscrew without any trouble.

Photos of the process below. (sorry for the poor quality, taken on a cheap Nokia mobile.)
WP_20161020_001.jpg
WP_20161020_005.jpg
WP_20161020_006.jpg
WP_20161020_004.jpg
WP_20161020_007.jpg
WP_20161020_008.jpg
WP_20161020_010.jpg
WP_20161020_011.jpg

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name