Sponsored

Bullitt Resale

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Will the Buillitt command a vastly higher premium when it comes to resale, as compared to a regular GT Premium?

I'm now getting very interested in the 2019 Bullitt, even though I have no issues with my current '17 GT/CS.
Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I owned a 2009 and sold it 4 years ago with a Vortech SC and some mods with 62K miles on it for 21,500. I paid 18,500 for it 2 years earlier. So, it did have a small premium over a GT back then. But, remember, the new Bullitt has a different intake, PP1 suspension, etc. The '09 had a very slightly better suspension and the 3.73 GT500 axle plus a cai with 15 more HP over the stock GT. Back then, if I remember correctly, you couldn't get a GT with the 3.73 without it being a BUllitt or a GT500.
I personally think it ran worse than my 07 GT/CS with the 355 gears. So, it may be worth like 5-10% more used.
And, there is the rub. If most dealers charge 10-15% more than a GT (5K off MSRP for a loaded GT vs sticker + for a Bullitt), then it may be a wash.
The problem with DHG is that a lot of people (me not included) don't like green cars plain and simple. So, you need the right buyer, unless you get a black one.
The good thing about the 2019 Bullitt is that it doesn't look like a V-6 like the old one did. The subtle badging, wheels, calipers really make the car look different.

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
VW Touareg TDI, Lincoln MKZ, F-350 TD
I think it is too early to tell. Once there is some real sense of total production numbers, things will get a little clearer.

Having said that, the 2019 Bullitt will be the most unique Bullitt to-date with the re-surfacing of the original and it being tied to the introduction of the 2019 as well as it being the most powerful and best handling Bullitt by a wide margin, should help it quite a bit.

As for pricing/resale, a comparably equipt GT Premium actually has a higher MSRP than the Bullitt, 20-less HP, and is not a Limited Edition vehicle, so I am not sure how it could be a bad deal other than it will have a more limited market for resale.

I agree, most people don't like green and many don't like blue, but, this is not a car that someone is most likely going to buy because they want a Mustang. It is more likely one that they are going to buy because they want a Bullitt Mustang and for most people that means DHG is what they will want.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
What makes the Bullitt have 20 more horses?

Sponsored

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
The glib answer would be, the Ford marketing and engineering departments.

But that isn't really as glib as it sounds at first. Ford introduced the car as having "at least 15 more HP". That is because they knew that they wanted to at least match, but preferably beat the improvements of the two previous Bullitt models. They set that goal and announced and designed/built the car fairly quickly and didn't know what HP they could expect but knew the minimum improvement they were going to build to and that they wanted to exceed that if they could (within whatever internal constraints they were working under).

The specific parts are:

Shelby GT350 parts:
  • upper intake manifold
  • Cold air intake (IIRC, there is a slight modification to it so that it fits the Bullitt engine compartment)

Unique to Bullitt:
  • Specific tune. The Bullitt ECU/PCM is specifically tuned to take advantage of its unique parts combination and therefore has a different part #.

Last edited:

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
One other thing guy those that want to mod. Since the Bullitt has a different computer, if you want an aftermarket tune, it's unlikely you can just download a canned tune like fur the 2018. This means you will have to get a Dyno tune. So that is another thing to consider. This happened on the 2008-09.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
They set that goal and announced and designed/built the car fairly quickly and didn't know what HP they could expect but knew the minimum improvement they were going to build to and that they wanted to exceed that if they could (within whatever internal constraints they were working under).
Where are you hearing designed and built fairly quickly? To what time horizon are you referring?

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
Where are you hearing designed and built fairly quickly? To what time horizon are you referring?
Tony, I can't recall which video of the many interviews that the Ford engineers have done it was in, but they were saying it wasn't decided to do one until they re-discovered the 1968 original Bullitt and that was when things started to be put together.

I believe that Ford became aware of the reemergence of the '68 in late 2016 or early 2017. The first prototype was displayed at the North American International Auto Show mid-January of 2018 with the first production car set to be produced 5-6 months later. So perhaps 12-18 months between starting on the concept and actual production (June 2018), that is fairly quick.

By comparison, the current generation Ford GT is said to have been a very quick turn-around and the first retail (non-racing) car wasn't produced until 23 months after the "near road ready" prototype was shown.

I know there is no comparison between doing a special model release vs a completely new car, but these two developments overlapped and Ford had/has a lot on their plate.

Another testament to this is that the engine HP numbers weren't finalized until very recently. I'm sure Ford knew that they'd have a good bump (they stated that it would be at least 15 more HP), but they needed time to make sure the tuning would meet their fuel economy, emissions, driveability needs. It isn't uncommon for a manufacturer to only have ball-park HP figures on a car that won't be released for 9 months to a year or more, but the 480-hp figure wasn't known until approximately 3-months before full production.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Tony, I can't recall which video of the many interviews that the Ford engineers have done it was in, but they were saying it wasn't decided to do one until they re-discovered the 1968 original Bullitt and that was when things started to be put together.

I believe that Ford became aware of the reemergence of the '68 in late 2016 or early 2017. The first prototype was displayed at the North American International Auto Show mid-January of 2018 with the first production car set to be produced 5-6 months later. So perhaps 12-18 months between starting on the concept and actual production (June 2018), that is fairly quick.

By comparison, the current generation Ford GT is said to have been a very quick turn-around and the first retail (non-racing) car wasn't produced until 23 months after the "near road ready" prototype was shown.

I know there is no comparison between doing a special model release vs a completely new car, but these two developments overlapped and Ford had/has a lot on their plate.

Another testament to this is that the engine HP numbers weren't finalized until very recently. I'm sure Ford knew that they'd have a good bump (they stated that it would be at least 15 more HP), but they needed time to make sure the tuning would meet their fuel economy, emissions, driveability needs. It isn't uncommon for a manufacturer to only have ball-park HP figures on a car that won't be released for 9 months to a year or more, but the 480-hp figure wasn't known until approximately 3-months before full production.
After talking with Sean Kiernan, owner of the original Bullitt, I can confirm this is not accurate. Ford had already planned to do a new Bullitt before Sean got in touch with them. It was just one of those perfectly timed things where Sean was ready to go public and Ford was working on the new car. When you look back at even the Faster Horse documentary, you see the original Bullitt car was a big inspiration for the S550 designers and especially the refresh, hence the hood reminiscent of the 68, and the "angled concavity" tail lights to mimic the 67-68s. I think the whole refresh was done with a Bullitt version in mind the whole time.

HP numbers not being finalized until late in the game is standard procedure for all manufacturers. At auto shows when any new car is revealed you'll often hear that HP has yet to be SAE certified and thus isn't made public with a reveal, same thing goes for pricing and fuel economy numbers. Ford, and the others, know the HP goal and likely what it will make, but publicly you can't state that stuff until it's been signed off on and verified.

Sponsored
OP
OP

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
After talking with Sean Kiernan, owner of the original Bullitt, I can confirm this is not accurate. Ford had already planned to do a new Bullitt before Sean got in touch with them. It was just one of those perfectly timed things where Sean was ready to go public and Ford was working on the new car. When you look back at even the Faster Horse documentary, you see the original Bullitt car was a big inspiration for the S550 designers and especially the refresh, hence the hood reminiscent of the 68, and the "angled concavity" tail lights to mimic the 67-68s. I think the whole refresh was done with a Bullitt version in mind the whole time.

HP numbers not being finalized until late in the game is standard procedure for all manufacturers. At auto shows when any new car is revealed you'll often hear that HP has yet to be SAE certified and thus isn't made public with a reveal, same thing goes for pricing and fuel economy numbers. Ford, and the others, know the HP goal and likely what it will make, but publicly you can't state that stuff until it's been signed off on and verified.
Thanks, Matt.

I've ordered the exact same car as yours down to the package. :)

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
After talking with Sean Kiernan, owner of the original Bullitt, I can confirm this is not accurate. Ford had already planned to do a new Bullitt before Sean got in touch with them. It was just one of those perfectly timed things where Sean was ready to go public and Ford was working on the new car.
That is my understanding also, based on comments from the Mustang Marketing Manager that I saw in print in a recent "Mustang Times" article. It was darn good luck, not a reaction to the movie car coming out. The "fastest time to market" record belongs to the 2001 Bullitt. It was being produced in about 14-15 months after the 2000 Bullitt Concept was shown.

Also the same as my understanding. There's only so much engineering change that can be done before a launch date, and the wait time is needed to receive the final confirmations and approvals.

OP
OP

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT